Complaint letter help: EVANS CYCLES - refused returning items instore.

Options
GinZ
GinZ Posts: 21 Forumite
edited 24 January 2012 at 10:10PM in Praise, vent & warnings
Hi,

I would like some advice on how best to go about writing a complaints letter to say how it was unfair and certainly against Evans Cycles' own terms and conditions when I went to my closest branch to return items ordered online.

Evans' own website states:
We also offer the option of returning your mail order purchase to your local Evans Cycles store.

Simply take your purchase and original receipt into your local store. Staff will issue a refund on the spot, or you can browse our store and exchange your purchase for an alternative product.
found here

Details:

I went in on a Friday, c. midday, to the branch. Should I name and shame the specific branch on here?
Had the items as new with all packaging and labels etc
I also had the invoice with me.

I waited 15mins for Assistant Manager (AM) to come out.
He didn't introduce who he was (I had to ask a colleague who was very helpful by the way) or say his position in the store.

AM simply said, we won;t be doing this refund.

The reason when pushed to give it, was that they needed to find out the c/card on which it was paid. So I would have to wait quite some time in order for it to be sorted.

I asked him to get on with it then. He then added that it wouldn't be possible anyway as the amount being returned was too high (the returns total came to nearly £700 - the total order value). I asked what the limit was and he said, "er, about £100 or something around that."

I pointed out the idiocy of this and asked if I had I walked into the store with a £5 item to return, would he have to go through the same procedure and would I have to wait hours for them to refund the item?

No reply.

When I said that I had done this sort of thing before at this very store and not had a problem (well, I had had a problem before. Last time they took nearly an hour to return about 6 items).

He replied that it was a new policy, to prevent fraud.

He offered me a credit note instead and said that was the only thing he could do. I said certainly not and wanted a refund.

He said it would take quite some time to get it sorted, authorisations and the like, so I could return some time next week and then it would be fine.

I said this was outrageous and asked him to show me where on the store returns notice did it state anything about a threshold amount that could be returned.

He looked through it and could eventually find nothing and then just said, "it's a new policy."

I said I had read the Evans Cycles' website t&cs regarding returns and nowhere did it state that only a certain amount of value of items could be returned.

He refused to comment.

I asked when the policy had come into force.

Again he only replied with, "It's a new policy."

I asked to speak to someone higher up than him. He replied, "I am him."

I then asked if I could call the customer services using the store phone as this was essentially misleading according to the website t&cs.

He replied, "You can. You have a phone in your hand. Call them yourself."

I asked for it in writing, that which he was claiming. He returned after about 10 minutes with a handwritten note which was totally illegible and that which I could make out did nothing to explain the situation.

There wasn't even a figure of £100 mentioned, there was no date, not on headed paper, (I'm sure you get the gist), a squiggled signature but no name and he did not state his position.

I asked for it to be typed in case I had to show to head office. He grabbed the hand-written note and walked away. I asked how long he would be (I had been in the store for approx 30 mins by now) and he replied, "How long is a piece of string."

Essentially you can see that the Assistant Manager was utterly devoid of customer service skills and I think he was just doing anything to get me not to return these items in his store.

I also suspect that the reason I had waited so long initially is that he was probably advised by the store manager (I dealt with him last time and he is as moody and curt as they come - and this during the last Christmas period) as he kept repeating the 'it's a new policy' so many times without understanding what he was saying and the context in which he was saying it.

In the end I called the head office (the same helpful colleague offered the number whilst the AM was away, and, interestingly, became extremely nervous when I was still thanking him as the AM returned) and upon returning to the store (I had to repark and buy an item from Halfords to be able to park nearby - no free parking anywhere) I was offered a home pick up by head office.

I would like to ask: how is it best to complain about this?

I was looking to do a short summary of the key points (to be decided with your help, hopefully) in my letter to vent and hope they reconcile for this infuriating experience. I was also going to include a detailed account (more than I've written here!) in case they do actually care.

key points: (in my unknowing opinion)
-I ordered online from Evans as it clearly states the ease of which I can return items to a branch with no fuss.
-I drove about 10 miles to get to the store
-The amount of time wasted on this, 2 hours, is way too long
-The obstructive nature of the Assistant Manager to help resolve the situation
-The lack of notice in the store about a threshold of returns
-I had to repark my car in the end (costing me further money and time troubles) as it took about 2 hours to get to the stage where I left the store
-how can I help the helpful member of staff to be encouraged in the face of such obvious terrible management? He was polite and friendly throughout - even when I may have copied down a number incorrectly, he resolved it nicely by stating such a simple comment like "I'm not sure if it was me who said it incorrectly or not."
-erm, anything else?

Apologies for the long post. I hope it hasn't put everybody off, but I wanted to warn people about this 'new policy' (yeah right!) routine at this store (should I state the branch name?) as it ruins, imo, Evans Cycles' best selling point - convenience.

I'd like to add that the Brentford branch I have been to has always been full of nearly all helpful staff, have free and cheap parking nearby, but they are even further away.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really cannot understand why you didn't go to the Brentford branch.
  • Lip_Stick
    Lip_Stick Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    I really cannot understand why you didn't go to the Brentford branch.

They've stated it's further away, and they shouldn't have to go to that branch.
    There's a storm coming, Mr Johnson. You and your friends better batten down the hatches, because when it hits, you're all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting page http://www.evanscycles.com/help/about-evans-cycles

OK, perhaps not, if you have a red mist in front of your eyes. But this business looks like a mix of venture capital and people with connections back to the original cycle shop. I would say that a friendly letter with a condensed version of the opening post as a complaint might be well received. They do however seem to have dealt with the matter correctly from the call centre.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Sounds like a right bunch of turkeys.

Well done on getting a refund, just don't shop with these muppets again, they sound terrible!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The problem is they see you as a serial returner and simply don't want you back in their store. The manager want's to make things difficult for you, because he doesn't want to deal with your rash purchases that you want to return at his store.
  • GinZ
    Options
    Hi all,
    thanks for your input.
    DVardysShadow: I didn't quite understand what you meant in the page being interesting? Apologies if being dim.

I don't really have the red mist, but I care about encouraging a future full of decent service and not plums. I don't want such terrible behaviour to continue in future. I know I can't enforce it but I can certainly contribute to a better future (spiritual-alert!) by trying.

I also want to encourage the higher managers to facilitate the nice member of staff so that should he want to stay in the industry, he will not be, say, bullied by the nastier members of staff, and eventually pushed out - he was actually doing work whilst helping me, whilst some other members of staff appeared not to be working much at all, but chatting instead.

Yes the call centre offered to have a home pick up to collect the items. It must be noted that at no point was there any apology made for the fact of being misled by the online t&cs, but the lady was at least polite and professional.

However, is it okay for Evans to expect me to drive in to any store, based on their own t&cs and be all happy about it then being picked up from home? Time, petrol, second-day having to be taken out for the 'you need to be in all day' collection?

In reality little may be able to be done, but every little helps, I reckon.

Thanks for the input re doing a condensed version. I am partly on here because I don't know what to leave out! lol
    In fact I was going to do a summary (which is where I could really appreciate what the better 'legal' points of contention are, which might carry some weight) and then attach a 4-page (oh so many words) full of lots of detail in the off chance someone might actually listen (writing it out also helped me vent to myself).

Fat chance I know, but not trying won't get any results at all.

Bris: Absolutely spot on, but the purchases weren't rash as I purchased them based on the point of the t&cs stating the ease with which returns can be made, should I not be entirely satisfied for whatever reason. Getting the right fit is very important to me and quite often, the stores (yes, that includes the heralded Brentford branch) don't have all the items they have online in the stores. Plus the online and phone staff will often suggest it as a method to do exactly what I did.

It still doesn't allow them to go against the online return t&cs? Does it? I am actually asking here as I believe it's not legally allowed, but have no idea how many legs I would have to stand on if that's the point I pushed home. I do realise that in reality, probably, very little will happen, except maybe the, semi-insulting, token £5, or £10 voucher. Nothing compared to the real expense (not just money).

The Brentford branch people explained to me that the online business is a consolidated business but the branches are, sort of, on their own. Yes, they told me that by returning the goods to their store, they were taking the financial hit, or at least their books looked bad as a result.

Being that they'd given me generally good service (good enough for someone picky like me is pretty good indeed! lol) I took their advice and I wouldn't want to discourage their style of service in their store.

I therefore chose to do more shopping (but yes, most of it was online) and returning it to the 'non-Brentford' branch, since the 'non-Brentford' branch had been such meanies in the past. I am not Kama, but am just helping her (or him, to avoid sexism) [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Peter/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Lip_Stick: thanks for clarifying on my behalf [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Peter/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]and another point is that as a result of driving into this store it offered me the chance to multishop by visiting the Sainsbury's too. However, had I not made this trip to Evans, there is a bigger Sainsbury's around a mile from me which I would have visited instead.

somethingcorporate: Yes, I will probably not buy from Evans again, (thanks for support in case I do decide to do that) unless they do something to rectify my faith in them caring about customer service.

I would like to give them at least the slightest chance of doing that. Which is only fair in my opinion. If they don't, I will certainly advertise as much as possible about the lack of being able to return and the bad service by that branch and overall misleading nature of the t&cs of Evans Cycles UK Ltd.

So has anybody got any input as to the key points that are best for the overview/executive summary letter? As you can see, being concise is maybe not one of my strong points.

many thanks
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    they should amendn their onlien terms to be clear

it maybe that the AM made up the £100 ruel so his shop wouldnt take a £700 hit.
  • GinZ
    Options
    mo786uk: I agree. I think he did that just to get me to not return the goods in his store. Similar to what bris stated. Either way, I was not in the wrong and so that is why I feel I may have a leg to stand on.

I am ideally looking for any suggestions on what points to include in my overview letter of complaint in order that it carries the most weight. Can anybody help me with this?
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    Just outline the facts as you have above - maybe bullet point them and leave out things that are not totally relevant (i.e the other member of staff).

I would suggest

- you saw the online terms and thought you could return instore
    - when you got to the shop there was confusion over what was right and not
    - the AM couldnt provide a decent explanation
    - AM was arsey
    - other staff were helpful
    - it took far too long
    - suspect he is not following policy/making his own
    - if the policy exists then their website should be update
    - returning it the way they suggest will cost you extra time/money
  • GinZ
    edited 25 January 2012 at 9:44AM
    Options
    Mo786uk: thanks for the advice. I hope the pick-up by courier will be free. I forgot to confirm it would be. I'll put together a draft summary letter and post it here for review :-)

Another three questions, maybe silly ones...

I was given absolutely no instructions by the head office lady who arranged the date of the pick up, merely that it would be picked up by a courier. So I have no idea of the pick-up procedure should be (what should be on the box, address, any extra info inside the box etc). I've checked the website and it merely states that I should get in touch with evans via phone to arrange pick up. I will hope to get through to Evans cycles customer services, before the courier arrives, to ask. But if not...

1) Since the pick was already arranged via phone, and I was given no instructions whatsoever, do I need to anything other than just sellotape the box closed? (I've written 'Evans Cycles' on top of it with a big black marker)

2) If they claim I didn't prepare the paperwork for inside the box, what can I do if they try to, say, charge me or something?

3) Should I expect a receipt from the courier to prove I gave it to them?
    My instinct tells me I must get one in case it gets 'lost in transit'.

4) Who is responsible for the items once it leaves my hands? Me or Evans? (I know that once it arrives with them, and they acknowledge it, then it is them).

thanks

edit: update:

I called them this morning to enquire about getting a receipt for handing the goods over. I mentioned my new lack of faith in their procedures and the reason why.

She did say that Evans Cycles would be responsible for the shipment once it left my hands.

When I pushed for some sort of receipt, she started to raise voice and asked what I wanted from her as she said there was no procedure for this. The manager is in after around 9am.... (when I shall be making a 2nd call regarding this)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure