Charity shop Electrical goods

Do charity shop electrical goods have to be PAT tested? If they do, Is it a requirement to place a sticker to that effect on the goods.

I was surprised when my wife brought home a TV from a charity shop and nothing on it to indicate tested as safe. I have at other charity shops.

In any case the TV was dead but the charity shop say tough luck

Too small a sum to get upset over but I did wonder about the PAT testing aspect

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I didnt think anything had to be pat tested unless its in the work place.

It will simply be sold as seen, 2nd hand item.
    I wouldve thought that they would have to return it though unless it was sold as broken.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    What spadoosh said.

Buying from a charity shop is no different to buying 2nd hand goods off Ebay, or from a boot fair.
  • Norfolk_Jim
    Norfolk_Jim Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I understand that items provided at work have to be PAT tested under PUWER regulations. I'd got it into my head though that a lot of charity shops wouldn't accept electrical goods because of the difficulty getting them tested and protecting themselves against claims. The TV is broken but they refuse to take it back and are very rude about it - I'm not thinking of taking them to small claims over such a small sum plus I dont want to cost a charity I'm broadly supportive towards. Their attitude stinks though as regards Sale of Goods act and I did wonder about the safety aspect too. A charity I was part of used to have all electricals checked and marked as such - I got the idea it was a requirement
  • spadoosh
    Strictly speaking your not supposed to sell electrical goods that arent working and without instructions but this only applies in the first hand terms. Anything from a charity shop should be sold as seen, did your wife ask if it could be returned if faulty? Did she ask if it was working?!
  • ShaneUK
    ShaneUK Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    spadoosh wrote: »
    did your wife ask if it could be returned if faulty? Did she ask if it was working?!

You shouldn't have to ask this at all. If you buy something, and it doesn't work you should be able to return it - charity shop or not.

And i wouldn't expect to buy from anywhere (incuding a charity shop) an electrical item that doesn't work
  • spadoosh
    ShaneUK wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to ask this at all. If you buy something, and it doesn't work you should be able to return it - charity shop or not.

And i wouldn't expect to buy from anywhere (incuding a charity shop) an electrical item that doesn't work

Unless the item was sold as an 'not tested' electrical item and the price reflects it. you can go to most retailers and buy electrical goods that do not work and many people do this in the hope they can repair and sell on or get a bargain. Nothing in SOGA against this.
  • babyemily
    babyemily Posts: 421 Forumite
    I used to work for a charity shop and we didnt sell electrical goods as they had to be pat tested - this was about 5 years ago
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    To save the long read...
    Electrical and electronic goods

a) Mains-powered electrical items :
    Examples: TVs, microwaves, table lamps, hair driers, vacuum cleaners, fax machines.
    When these items are sold second-hand, government Regulations now require that they're tested for safety before being put on sale. This has to be done by a suitably skilled person. The testing includes checking the wiring of plugs, earthing and any damage to cables.
    Accordingly some charity shops won't accept donations of any mains electrical equipment.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • My Mum manages a charity shop for a fairly large, but local, charity and as standard they PAT test electrical items they put on sale. Not 100% whether there's a requirement to sticker them though, or just to have proof the test's been done if they're asked?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure