Flavoured Vodka

Can anyone help me with these, i've been searching threads but everything is really spread out, i would like to make a selection for my three friends, but no idea were to start or how to do it, could do with some suggestions from sucessfull ones, as i dont like it so cant taste them!

Also what bottles do you put them in? ive read also about using skittles, im complete beginer, so simple steps if poss.

Many thanks for your help xxxxxxxxxxxx:o

Comments

• I made some last year and it's ever so easy. You can use most sweets but the hard ones like Werthers, Skittles and Glacier mints tend to work best. It's up to you how many sweets you use for each drink, it depends on the size of bottle. I tend to have half a bottle of sweets and then top up with vodka, as a rough guide.

You simply bash up the sweets into small pieces, put them in a container (not the bottle you are planning to present them in) and pour vodka on top. Give it a stir and the sweets will gradually dissolve. They have usually completely disolved by the following day.

Next step - you need to filter the vodka as often the sweets leave a scummy residue on top. I use coffee filters, but you will probably need to filter a few times to get it looking nice.

And that's it! Pour the finished flavoured vodka into your chosen container. I use the mini bottles you get wine in, you can often buy them 4 for £5 but you'll need to drink the wine first :D

My favourite flavour so far is Werthers sweets, it makes a really creamy drink. I've also used Skittles, these work best if you seperate out different colours and stick to one colour for each drink. That way you get a nice, bright colour. Fox's Glacier mints work well too.

Hope this helps, any questions just ask :)
    Making money for Christmas 2012!
  • Hi, I made a load of flavoured vodkas last year and my favourites or most successful were the following:

Glacier Mint vodka
    Pear drop vodka
    Lemon drop vodka

The easiest ones to do are the boiled sweet variety as they dissolve and don't need any straining. I used the mini wine bottles that you can buy 3 for a fiver or you can buy a cheap quarter bottle of vodka, take a little out and drop in the sweets. Also did Ginger vodka, chilli vodka, cherry vodka, lemon & lime vodka, toffee vodka, skittles vodka but the ones mentioned above were my favourite and the most successful. HTHs x
    "A" is for Opple if yowm spaking loike a yamyam!
  • 1 Get vodka. (not the good stuff unless you know it will work)
    2 Get sweets. - skittles, glacier mints, pineapple cubes, anything goes really. (you may have to smash them so they fit down the neck of the bottle)
    3 Add sweets to an empty bottle then fill with vodka. (Any bottle, glass, plastic - just clean please) (guess the amount and make a note of the ratio for next time)
    4 Shake daily until sweets dissolve
    5 Taste regularly until you like the flavour
    6 Strain to stop it getting stronger if any lumps remain.
    7 If too weak add more sweets and repeat.
    8 Make sure you keep notes and label the bottles so you can replicate any good ones.

Skittle vodka went down very well with my family, as did glacier mint vodka. :D

*edit - I type too slow ;)
  • I'm going to give these a go this year! Going to make Chilli vodka, although I'm not sure how I'm going to test it as I don't like spicy stuff. And hoping the Werthers one make a creamy gold colour. I'm guessing the werthers one doesn't need to be filtered? :)
    :rudolf: :xmassmile
  • punkpink
    punkpink Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    I'm doing the same this year for my OH's sister and her partner, i found these to present the vodka in, if your doing individual flavours and not all one;

http://www.naturallythinking.com/products/050ml-Clear-Plastic-Bottle-20mm-neck-PET-Plastic.html

They seem to be the cheapest ive found (but don't forget to but the lids too!) but also you'll need plenty of plastic bottles to mix the vodka in, there are plenty of tutorials on google, and an especially good one for skittles vodka.
  • TimBear
    TimBear Posts: 808 Forumite
    I might give this a go for some girlfriends this year! I've heard of it before but seeing the instructions typed out, it looks so easy!
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can I suggest licorice vodka, chilli vodka and also ginger vodka?

The licorice will need lots of filtering, but the ginger one is super easy, just pour some of the syrup from a jar of preserved ginger into the vodka and hey presto!
    Chilli even easier, simply pierce a while red chilli with a needle the more hole,s the hotter it is so bear that in mind, then pop chilli into the bottle :)
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • werthers vodka is our favourite. We did a lot of taste testing and this was the best. Although we do like skittles, but definatley seperate it into different colours.
  • Gemmy_2
    Gemmy_2 Posts: 383 Forumite
    I was looking through some stuff today and found candy cane vodka. I think i may give this a try for the various secret santa's going around...
    http://www.scarymommy.com/candy-flavored-vodka/

I also looked at another 'recipe'.
    Which suggested putting the vodka in the fridge and shaking it 3 times a day until the candy cane disolves.
    I'm also going to add some edible glitter to it.. like they have in the 'glitter berry J2O'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure