Catalogue company demanding info on the phone

Options

Comments

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    It means they have your name and your postcode - if they get hold of your DoB and house number, they can put forward your details as a catalogue request (and therefore have you down as another successful lead for their sales targets).

I don't talk to anyone who phones here like that. I refuse point blank to discuss anything over the phone, which they don't like because it means I can't get wheedled into doing whatever it is that they want - or that they get enough information to commit fraud.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2011 at 8:29PM
    Options
    Which company are you referring to?

Surely at some point you have given them permission to contact you by not opting out of marketing etc.

If its such an issue contact them ask them to remove your details from there marketing.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CH27 wrote: »
    Ask for a contact name & number & say you will ring them back.
    If they are genuine they will understand.

Don't ask for a contact number, if they're dodgy you'll just be ringing a dodgy company but on your dime!

Go to the website and find the number for customer complaints.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just 'one moment please' put the phone down to one side and leave it there for 10 minutes:D
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • claire16c
    claire16c Posts: 7,074 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    Well that's true, they could be anybody, couldn't they? No wonder there's so much identity fraud if people just give their date of birth and address to anyone who calls demanding it.

They just called me again five minutes ago and I said I'm definitely not giving them my details. The woman said they will have to keep calling me then!

What is WRONG with these people???

Thats outrageous.

The next time they call I would ask for their date of birth and address as you need it to send their name to their complaints dept.
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    A reputable company will always allow you to call them. Simply ask for the company's name, the name of the Customer Services rep calling and tell them that you'll get the number off their website and call them back. If the company has any problem with you doing this then they are most likely scammers.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could of course say your date of birth is 20/07/1969 and you live a 29 Acacia Road. That would move the conversation on to new ground.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    I occasionally buy from a catalogue but haven't done so for a while now.

Today they rang me several times, asking to speak to me then immediately demanding my date of birth and the first line of my address.

I ask what they want, and they say they're not allowed to discuss it without first verifying who they're speaking to.

I don't owe them anything - they probably want me to order something, so the call is of no interest to me.

I don't see why I should provide my date of birth and address to just anybody who wants to hassle me over the phone so I refused to, but they keep ringing back.

Is this common practice now - you're expected to verify your identity when THEY cold call YOU?

just give them the wrong date of birth and address - its not like you actually want to talk to them, is it? I have no problem with just hanging up when cold callers start their spiel with me ;).
  • Mrs.W_2
    Mrs.W_2 Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Just 'one moment please' put the phone down to one side and leave it there for 10 minutes:D
    lol.. Exactly how I handle unsolicited calls.
  • lizzielondon
    Options
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    You could of course say your date of birth is 20/07/1969 and you live a 29 Acacia Road. That would move the conversation on to new ground.

Actually lolled when I googled!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport