talkmobile are they any good

Options
myxbox
myxbox Posts: 231 Forumite
hi there,

i am thinking of moving to talk mobile on your SIMple tariff. are they and good and does any one know the answers to :) , the following

do they use Vodafone as your network
does voicemail come out of your bundle allowance
how long to transfer existing number across
is it free to call customer service from your phone,
is there a free allowance checker service via call and text
do you all the call waiting feature
do your charge to receive delivery reports from text messages
many thanks

Comments

• thoughts
    thoughts Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I am currently having a dispute with talk mobile so I am not very happy with them. They are trying to charge me £140 for data usage which I am pretty sure I haven't used. They have been very difficult over this so to be honest I say stay clear.

I might be able to answer some of your questions though as maybe you won't be so unlucky...

They do use Vodaphone network
    I don't know the details of your tariff but I think voicemail does come out on my paymonthly tariff
    I can't remember exactly but it wasn't long to transfer numbers over - I think a couple of days
    It is free to call customer care on my tariff (and probably all tariffs)

I don't know about the other two questions as I don't do that!

If you had asked me a month ago I would have recommended them highly as I thought their deals were great value and they do 12 month contracts which I think is great. In fact I was recommending them all over the place. My recent experience has however unfortunately been very negative.

Hope this is helpful

Susie
  • myxbox
    Options
    hi there

thank you for your input

do or did you have a data allowance with them?, if so did you not get a text when you was near your limit ? , their fup says "You will be notified by text message when you are approaching your limit and advised that charging will apply if this limit is exceeded",

many thanks
  • thoughts
    Options
    Hi

I get a 500mb allowance per month. I did not receive a text. The first thing I knew was that I had gone over my limit and was not able to use my phone to send text messages (even though I had hundreds of texts still available to use!) I am not sure that the same rules regarding the text apply for pay monthly as pay as you go. Thanks for this though.

Susie
  • myxbox
    Options
    hi that info is taken from the SIMple page here , http://www.talkmobile.co.uk/simple.html , click fair usage, you should argue that the are not following their own terms as you should have received a text message when approaching your limit , many thanks
  • thoughts
    Options
    Thanks a lot for this - this does appear to cover pay monthly too. I have just written them a lengthy email but will use this when I next reply.
  • myxbox
    Options
    :) let us know how you get on , the bit you need is point 3 under the heading Mobile Internet Data (included in tariff allowance)

good luck :)
  • invisibleyousee
    Options
    Hi myxbox,

Both my parents have just gone onto contract with TalkMobile and have had no problems whatsoever. They do use Vodafone network, they also use Vodafone customer services. Their contracts/SIMO seem to be good value, and the perk as well it that if you go direct it is unlimited internet on some contracts/SIMO deals.

If you want to use your PAC to port your number to them, I believe that the method they use to do this means you need to let them know when you order - my Mum did this and they got her number over from Vodafone with no problems.

They also have a "call back" function on their website, where you put your details in if you're interested in them and they'll call you back. We did this to check some details and they were very helpful, so would recommend that as to get the definitve answers to your question about voicemail etc.

All networks have someone who can sing their praises and another person who detests them - choose the deal that is right for you and check the signal strength before signing up to any network.

Hope that's some help.
    Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world!

Started Slimming World 16.04.2012
    "Club 10 Target Loss: 1st 2.5lbs"
    23/04/12 (1st WI): -2.5lbs :) 07/05/12: -4lbs :) 14/05/12 -1lbs :) 21/05/12 STS :o
  • MissKeith
    MissKeith Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    They don't have Vodafone customer services, they are part of the Carphone Warehouse/Best Buy Europe group. I always found them really good when I had to deal with them when I worked for CPW, much nicer than most of the other networks.

To answer some of your questions, I believe voicemail is no longer free, they do charge for delivery reports, calling customer services is free and you can check your balance by calling 5888.
    Have I helped? Feel free to click the 'Thanks' button. I like to feel useful (and smug). ;)
  • invisibleyousee
    Options
    I was advised by Carphone Warehouse last week that the customer call centre for TalkMobile is a Vodafone call centre.
    Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world!

Started Slimming World 16.04.2012
    "Club 10 Target Loss: 1st 2.5lbs"
    23/04/12 (1st WI): -2.5lbs :) 07/05/12: -4lbs :) 14/05/12 -1lbs :) 21/05/12 STS :o
  • MissKeith
    MissKeith Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure who told you that but it's not true. They use Vodafone's signal but not their customer services.
    Have I helped? Feel free to click the 'Thanks' button. I like to feel useful (and smug). ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure