Police forced entry, HELP

My 82 year old mother went to stay with family for 24 hours. On returning home, her back door had been smashed beyond recognition, as neighbours had concerns because they had not seen her.

The damage done is in the thousands of pounds (Door, door casing, plaster, brick work and decorating). Who is held responsible for the repair? The police are saying it is up to my mother.

Can anybody help with any advice of how to pursue?

Thanks.

Comments

• Darksun
    Darksun Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Does your mother have home insurance?
  • redbull5
    redbull5 Posts: 312 Forumite
    i would think that if your grandmother was not in the house at the time then the police would have to pay for it as they have not saved anyones life etc. I would contact the police once again, retreive the incident number from which the concern for person call was logged and give it to your insurance company for them to settle it with the police.
    From England - Live in Edinburgh and work as a bus driver
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    redbull5 wrote: »
    i would think that if your grandmother was not in the house at the time then the police would have to pay for it as they have not saved anyones life etc.

Interesting criteria :rotfl:
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    I used to work with someone whose door was broken down in a drugs raid (wrong address on the warrant!) and the police didn't take any responsibility for paying for the reapairs. She had her local MP onto the case too but the police were not liable.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My MIL had damage done to her garden wall by a police car, she claimed on her insurance , they came and fixed it right away then the insurance company pursued the police for payment.. she just rang them and they did everything..
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Only 24 hours? Sue the neighbours for being stupid.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • Darksun wrote: »
    Does your mother have home insurance?
    Yes she has insurance.
  • Only 24 hours? Sue the neighbours for being stupid.
    Great idea, but at 82 unfortunately she doesn't want to fall out with anyone.
  • fozzeh
    fozzeh Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    brian.gas wrote: »
    Great idea, but at 82 unfortunately she doesn't want to fall out with anyone.

I wouldn't have taken that post seriously at all.
  • redbull5
    redbull5 Posts: 312 Forumite
    make contact with the police and sort it out the a sgt or supervisior. !
    From England - Live in Edinburgh and work as a bus driver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport