Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • By 16011996 26th Aug 04, 8:03 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 26th Aug 04, 8:03 PM
    Re: Stuffing
    • 26th Aug 04, 8:03 PM
    veggie one is rice nearly boiled, chopped oinion, some chopped sage, whizzed in blender, then finishd in oven with two teaspoons water on. my kids love it.
  • cathy
    • 27th Aug 04, 12:59 AM
    • 27th Aug 04, 12:59 AM
    a cheap and easy meal is

pct sage and onion stuffing

chopped bacon bits

an egg

mix stuffing as per pct directions

add the bacon bits

then the beaten egg

make into pattys and fry both sides

believe it or not it doesnt taste stuffing-y

kids love them

how cheap and easy is that?? ;D ;D
  • cathy
    • 27th Aug 04, 1:01 AM
    • 27th Aug 04, 1:01 AM
    http://www.recipezaar.com/r/q=stuffing

some good ones here

the stuffing pot pie looks good
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 27th Aug 04, 10:24 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 27th Aug 04, 10:24 AM
    • 27th Aug 04, 10:24 AM
    I use sausage meat, stale breadcrumbs, chopped onion, seasoning and a beaten egg to bind - the quantities vary as to what I have in the cupboard but I then add either herbs, chopped apricots, walnuts, celery or whatever else I think will go with the joint. Cranberries with chicken or turkey is nice!

I always make it into little patties and cook separately.

You can dip pork or turkey escalopes into egg first and then packet stuffing mix instead of breadcrumbs, then cook as usual.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 28th Aug 04, 1:05 AM
    • 5,791 Posts
    • 40,200 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 28th Aug 04, 1:05 AM
    • 28th Aug 04, 1:05 AM
    Veggie broccoli and cheese stuffing (or savoury bread-pudding):

Soak stale bread in milk for a while then mash and drain excess milk.

Chop broccoli finely - even if they are going yellow (tell the kids if they complain that it is a new variety of broccoli, heehe), grate any remainder/crust of cheese you find in the fridge or you can use freshly bought cheese too, fry a couple of chopped onions and add chopped broccoli. Sautee for a few minutes.

Add broccoli and fried onion mix to the mashed up bread, give it a stir (to let it cool) and add the cheese. Beat 2 eggs and add them to the mix.
    If the mix is too liquid you can add a bit of porridge oats to thicken/dry it a little - it should not be too dry because it swells and dries in the oven while cooking.

Add salt and pepper (and nutmeg - optional) to taste.

Butter a pie/cake dish and put stuffing in. Bake in medium oven until if you stick a knife in the stuffing it comes out dry-ish.

If you don't have broccoli you can use any other veg, or omit the veg altogether for a savoury cheesy pudding.

Buon appetito

Caterina
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 28th Aug 04, 11:17 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    • 28th Aug 04, 11:17 AM
    • 28th Aug 04, 11:17 AM
    Veggie broccoli and cheese stuffing (or savoury bread-pudding):

Chop broccoli finely - even if they are going yellow (tell the kids if they complain that it is a new variety of broccoli, heehe), ..................................

.............Buon appetito

Caterina
    ..............LOL ;D ;D ;D
  • cathy
    • 28th Aug 04, 2:22 PM
    • 28th Aug 04, 2:22 PM
    what is it with broccoli lately

nice green stuff goes into basket

nice green stuff goes into carrier bag

nice green stuff goes into boot of car

nice green stuff comes out of bag

next morning

YELLLLLLOW!!!!!
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 28th Aug 04, 6:17 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 28th Aug 04, 6:17 PM
    • 28th Aug 04, 6:17 PM
    My family recipe for stuffing, used mainly at Christmas is as follows:

Chop up large onion and large bunch of fresh sage cook these for about 40 mins in a small amount of water .
    Salt & pepper to taste.

You can use dried sage if you can't get fresh.....

Stale loaf whizzed into breadcrumbs place in a large basin, add the sage & onion including cooking liquid and a beaten egg.

Then work it all in with your hands so it is well mixed up, (great Christmas eve stress relief) I use some inside the turkey and cook the rest in an ovenprooof dish, I put butter on top to keep it moist. Cook for about 1 hour in a low oven and it tastes wonderful and makes the house smell like Christmas.

• nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 24th Oct 06, 8:41 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    nuttywoman
    Homemade Stuffing
    Does anyone make their own stuffing and if so, any good recipes please.We`ve decided to make our own for xmas dinner.
    val
  • stuart264
    I have a couple of good ones i have used.......were you leaning towards a sausage meat base or breadcrumb base?
    • nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 24th Oct 06, 9:30 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    nuttywoman
    I have a couple of good ones i have used.......were you leaning towards a sausage meat base or breadcrumb base?
    by stuart264

Both if you`ve got them, thanks very much.
    val
  • purpleimp
    My mother in law always does a sausagemeat and a forcemeat, howe3ver I'm doing christmas this year so it's getting done my way (whether DH likes it that way or not!!)

I will be doing skirlie because I love it, ( I'm not too keen on herby stuffuings)and I saw a goose stuffing on the OS christmas support thread which I will also be doing it looks fantastic!

Skirlie ( it can be a bit boring so it can be jazzed up with some crisped bacon or fried mushrooms.)

fry off some onion till soft, add fine oatmeal and cook, add lots of salt pepper and a sprinkle of sugar, some people like it quite dry, but while cooking the oatmeal , you can add some water, (it does go soupy) and keep cooking off till it dries out again and goes grainy and flakey with crispy bits through out, (doing this and adding the watter makes a huge difference if you have the patience but be warned it can make one hll of a mess of your pan, it's sticks like nobodies business !)xxx
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 25th Oct 06, 7:32 AM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    earthmother
    I've not made it myself, but funnily enough was thinking about it this year, so got my Grandma's recipe yesterday.

1 large loaf - fresh breadcrumbs
    salt and pepper
    1oz plain flour
    4ozs shredded suet
    grated/finely chopped onion
    thyme and parsley
    grated/finely chopped brussel sprout (that's right, just the one, lol - I was surprised too)
    1 beaten egg, and milk to mix.

It's probably too basic for many on here, but it's tried and tested and very nice. It makes quite a solid stuffing if cooked on its' own - I remember slicing chunks off for sandwiches for ages after

Now I've just got to get her Christmas pudding recipe off of her - there's no definative recipe though, it changes every time - everyone who's asked has received a slightly different version depending on when they asked, lol

DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
  • mikeywills
    I am not that keen on meat in stuffing, so I go down the herbs route.

I use 1 loaf, not fresh, preferably a day ot two old,
    2 lemons juiced and zested
    bunches of fresh parsley, sage, and thyme
    and 2 onions.
    then enough butter to bind it all together.

Sorry I don't have specific recipe it is always, a handful of this and that at home.

I use this mix for all birds, and always stuff the neck never the body, finish off by rubbing vegetable fat and salt into the skin for extra flavour.
    I had a plan..........its here somewhere.
    • beachbeth
    • By beachbeth 25th Oct 06, 8:17 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 7,792 Thanks
    beachbeth
    I would get loud complaints every Christmas if I didn't make this stuffing and its very, very tasty! Once you have cooked the onion, sausagemeat and liver the rest is just a case of mixing all together.

4 oz butter
    1 lb pork sausagemeat
    2 medium onions, chopped
    3 oz chicken livers, chopped (or the reserved liver from the turkey)
    8 oz breadcrumbs
    tsp salt
    1 tsp black pepper
    2 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp dried rosemary
    2 tbs finely chopped fresh parsley
    2 fl oz medium sherry
    2 fl oz single cream

Melt the butter and cook the sausagemeat, breaking it up with a fork. Use a slotted spoon and transfer the cooked meat to a large mixing bowl. Add the onions and liver to the pan and cook until the onion is translucent and soft and the liver cooked through. Transfer this to the mixing bowl.

Now add all of the other ingredients and mix well.

Place in an oven proof dish and cook for about 30 minutes on Gas 4/5 (180)
    • Gaia
    • By Gaia 25th Oct 06, 6:42 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    Gaia
    put breadcrumbs, finely chopped celery, a few broken walnuts (in whatever quantities you have/want) in a baking dish, pour over some beaten egg and mix in and stick in the oven until cooked. Simple, cheap and tasty.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." Anon.
    • kscour
    • By kscour 26th Oct 06, 4:57 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    kscour
    DD2's favourite but measurements will be a bit vague

breadcrumbs from 4-6 slices bread
    1-2 oz butter
    2tbsp lemon juice (I use jif lemon)
    1tbsp fresh or 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
    2 teaspoons of mint jelly (mint and apple jelly is even nicer)

melt butter
    add breadcrumbs
    add everything else
    mix well

should end up not to soggy but wet enough to stick together

Really nice with chicken.
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 16th Jul 07, 6:29 PM
    • 3,709 Posts
    • 19,516 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Homemade stuffing? Help please
    Can anyone tell me how to make stuffing? My brother is visiting and I want to cook a roast. I've usually just bought a packet mix but don't want to waste 1 odd if I can make it myself.

I have breadcrumbs, and some herbs, not sure what else I will need, (or how much/what order to add)

Many thanks
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    NSD's - 0/30 / EF Challenger #3 514.56/5000
  • jbbonce
    the great thing about homemade stuffing is you can make it out of whatever you've got lying around. Celery and Apricot or Sausagemeat and chestnut are two of my faves, but it depends on what meat you're having really.
    Baby bonce was born on Christmas morning after a ridiculously short labour and no pain relief! If only losing the baby weight was as easy!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

867Posts Today

7,032Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin