Travel Republic - complaint and don't know what to do

Options
Hi all

Just wondering if I could get some advice. I booked a room in Spain with Travel Republic over a month ago and they advertised a double room as having 1 or 2 beds. I requested a 2 bed room as it gave the impression that was an option. After then reading some on-line feedback about TR I contacted the hotel just to check that they had got my booking and that a 2 bed room was available. They came back and said that yes they had my booking but that there were never 2 beds in that type of room and that it was written into the contract with the service provider. I feel very mislead in that it was implied that there was an option for 2 beds but now I understand this is never the case and wouldn't have booked that room type had I known. I logged a customer service query with TR over 2 weeks ago and have been getting fobbed off ever since and now it looks like the hotel I am supposed to be going to is full so no chance of a room change there. I keep phoning, I've asked twice for a manager to call me but they never do - I am flying on Wednesday and at a total loss of what to do. Help anyone?

Comments

• delwynshd
    delwynshd Posts: 2,907 Forumite
    Options
    were you wanting a 2 bedroomed room?????

Unless the description specifically said 2 bedroomed you aint got a complaint im
    afraid

A request would not gaurantee the room type

Del
    I am a Travel Agent

My company’s ABTA numbers are P6046. MSE doesn't check my status as a Travel Agent, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Travel Agent Code of Conduct.
  • bezzza
    bezzza Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    I've booked hotels loads with TravelRepublic and when it says 1 OR 2 bed rooms I know it means that there may be one double bed OR 2 single/twin beds (the request box is merely that - it's a request - I always request a room on a high floor with sea view but I don't always get it although asking nicely at the hotel does seem to work wonders) - it's always a surprise when I get to the room as you just never know what you're going to get and I know I cannot pick and choose especially for the prices you pay. However, when I take my 15 year old DD I always make sure I book a 1 bedroomed apartment so I can have the bedroom and she has the lounge area.
    :j:T Total Prize Value 2012 - £1835 :T:j
    :AThanx to all the good people that post comps (and answers!):A
    Be Good, Be Lucky, Be Happy:)
  • Intasun32
    Intasun32 Posts: 443 Forumite
    Options
    I booked a hotel in Cyprus online yesterday with a company called Travel Republic based in Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey. I had used them some while ago so I had no worries when making the booking, (Mistake)

The confirmation web page was shown with all the figures, I decided to pay a deposit of £210 and the balance of £838 in July 2012. I entered my card details, double checked the details and pressed the ‘Confirm Booking’ button, happy with myself of a job well done. Or so I thought.

I received the confirmation e-mail about ten minutes later and much to my shock an additional £26.90 had been added to my bill. I called Travel Republic this morning to be informed that this was a 2.5% credit cardfee. I asked why this was not shown before I made the booking, I was told that it was. Unknown to her I had printed out the final web page of the booking; I asked where it was informing her of the page on my desk. I was asked to hold as she spoke to a colleague. On her return I was informed that it was not shown onthe final web page or at any time during the booking process but could be found in the ‘Customer Information’ section.

I said my ‘goodbyes’ and went back to the web page. I went through the booking process right up to confirming the payment checking all the small print but there was no mention of any card fees.

On the web site I found the information regarding payment card charge which was CLEARLY shown as long as you first;

Clicked ‘CUSTOMER INFORMATION’

Clicked ‘FAQ’

Clicked ‘I HAVEN’T BOOKED YET’

Clicked ‘PAYMENT CARD CHARGES’

Then you are advised of card fees.

I am sure that when we all purchase things online we don't have to scour the web site to find the total costs, These charges should have been clearly shown on the final payment page prior to confirming the booking.

I can’t help but feel I have been mugged.

I have since contacted Consumer Direct who have informed me that TR are in breach of Consumer Protectection Regulations 2008 and advised to contact my credit card supplier for a 'Chargeback' claim. The letters are in the post.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    On the payment page it states the "handling charge" when you select a payment method
    Final Booking Cost

Total Cost £602
    Additional Card Handling Fee: £15.05

name one travel company that doesn't charge a fee for credit cards ?
  • Intasun32
    Options
    On the payment page it states the "handling charge" when you select a payment method

name one travel company that doesn't charge a fee for credit cards ?

@Budgetflyer,

Actually the payment page shows 'Additional Card Handling Fee'. I am not disputing the fee but the underhand way that is was applied.

It is not until you receive the confirmation e-mail that the Additional Card Handling Fee' changes to 'Credit Card Fee (2.5%)'. This is the first time throughout the booking are you informed that you will be charged 2.5% of the total cost as a card fee, after the purchase/booking has been made.

In todays market place you are surprised if you are not charged a card fee but there are plenty of companies that do not charge it.

I have been advised by Consumer Direct that TR are clearly in breach on the Consumer Protection Regulations 2008, which states that ALL charges/fees must be shown on a final invoice/web page when asked for confirmation of purchase. That does not mean 10 minutes later by e-mail.

:beer:
  • ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    Intasun32 wrote: »

I have been advised by Consumer Direct that TR are clearly in breach on the Consumer Protection Regulations 2008, which states that ALL charges/fees must be shown on a final invoice/web page when asked for confirmation of purchase. That does not mean 10 minutes later by e-mail.

The fees are shown at the point you enter your payment details and before you book...your issue seems to be that they are labled 'Additional Card Handling Fee' rather than 'Credit Card Fee (2.5%)? But the fee is the same regardless what it's labeled.

'Additional Card Handling Fee' is a generic term - change the card type and the fee changes...still an Additional Card Handling Fee...sounds like the confirmation email then specifies whcih Additional Card Handling Fee was applied (if any)...but doesn't change the fee or what it is for?
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Intasun32
    edited 2 January 2012 at 1:28PM
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    The fees are shown at the point you enter your payment details and before you book...your issue seems to be that they are labled 'Additional Card Handling Fee' rather than 'Credit Card Fee (2.5%)? But the fee is the same regardless what it's labeled.

'Additional Card Handling Fee' is a generic term - change the card type and the fee changes...still an Additional Card Handling Fee...sounds like the confirmation email then specifies whcih Additional Card Handling Fee was applied (if any)...but doesn't change the fee or what it is for?

@Ferf1223,

Both Consumer Direct & my credit card supplier seem to have different views to what you have posted. Both have informed me that TR are in breach of the Act.

As I have posted at no time till I received the confirmation e-mail, was it shown that the full cost of the booking would carry a 2.5% charge (A breach of the Act). The 'Additional Card Handling Fee' of £x does not show this but seems to indicate a one off charge for that transaction. If it had '2.5%' included then everything would be in order, it didn't!

There can be no argument in their favour I'm afraid, the ommision of full charges/information puts them at fault.

Their views not mine.

• ferf1223
    ferf1223 Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    Options
    There can be no argument in their favour I'm afraid, the ommision of full charges/information puts them at fault.

Full charges were provided before you booked...it's only the way that the charges were labeled you seem to have an issue with...though the charge would have appeared when you selected to pay by CC...so, logically, it would seem to be a charge to pay by CC...change payment method, total charge changes.

I find it very amusing what people will complain about sometimes. :)
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • Intasun32
    Options
    ferf1223 wrote: »
    I find it very amusing what people will complain about sometimes. :)

@Ferf1223,

What I find amusing is when it is clearly posted that I have been informed by Consumer Direct and my Credit Card company that TR are in breach of the Consumer Protection Regulations that you seem to feel I don't have the right to complain!

Very odd, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Even if they are wrong.

• turtle2k1
    turtle2k1 Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    @Ferf1223,
    The 'Additional Card Handling Fee' of £x does not show this but seems to indicate a one off charge for that transaction. If it had '2.5%' included then everything would be in order, it didn't!

So what you are saying is if it said Additional 2.5% Card Handling Fee then it would be OK?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure