Northern Ireland Delivery Charges

Options
I've quickly put together a mini website to cover this - done using the rather excellent tiddly-wiki

A first stab at any rate : see it here

http://www.hisdancingleg.com/ni

Comments/ideas anyone ?

D

threadbanner.gif
I used to have a signature with links to the League Tables for good/bad shipping charges for Northern Ireland. But I have since learnt that this is against site rules - so they are no longer here! PM me if you need them

Comments

• Coolhandluke
    Options
    Nice one D,good start.:beer:
  • Ronn1e_2
    Ronn1e_2 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    A great idea Declan and well executed. I wish you well with its ongoing development.

I have it bookmarked for return visits as these charges really bug me and now I can check before placing an on-line order.
    ANGER is one letter away from DANGER
  • darrenfinlayson
    Options
    declanh wrote:
    I've quickly put together a mini website to cover this - done using the rather excellent tiddly-wiki

A first stab at any rate : see it here

Comments/ideas anyone ?

D
    good idea, tescos should also be on the 'good' list. also i wrote the following to ebuyer (who have the £15 surcharge on everything!) and i received the following response:

Hello, I was intending to purchase quite a few goods from your excellent store as Christmas presents for relatives. This week I was going to buy a 1Gb SD Flash card. The card is £29, but when I went to the checkout £15 was added for delivery, and I was told that I could not select the 'Super Saver' delivery option.

I just don't quite understand this extra charge, mainly because I am the head of a large IT company and I use many online retailers, none of which charge extra for delivery to this part of the UK.

I wouldn't mind paying £15 for items that are large and expensive, but SD cards are not much bigger than a stamp and can be sent by Royal mail for the same cost as the mainland UK (as can most goods).

It worries me that this practice could become a trend, as to date I have never been charged extra by any delivery company for goods shipped within the UK. I will be ordering everything I need from Amazon.co.uk, hmv.co.uk, play.co.uk etc, all of which offer free and prompt delivery, and at no stage charge extra for delivery to Northern Ireland.

I would like to recommend your store to my colleagues and fellow IT professionals, but while this unwarranted surcharge exists, I won't be doing that.

Please could you explain this surcharge.

Thanks
    Daniel
    15/11/2005 16:30 Dear Sir

Thank you for your contact with our Customer Support Team.
    Please refer to the information on the help section of our website for help with shipping and handling charges

Kind Regards
    Daniel
    Ebuyer Customer Support Team
  • I know how everyone feels on this, I work for a courier company and know that what we get paid is the same as the others on the mainland so all it represents is a great rip off, and I try always to avoid companies who do this. The most irritating one is companies who charge a surcharge then use royal mail/parcelforce:mad:
  • SandLake
    SandLake Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For the record I posted a 'comment' about the overpriced NI surcharge on the Scan website and I did get a good response :-

"I do agree with what you're saying. We are going to try and look into using an additional courier in the future to cater better for our offshore customers, so watch this space in the future for developments.
    Your custom is appreciated and I assure you we're doing everything we can to continue to improve and provide the most value for money service to everyone."

Of course time will tell!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good website !
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,001 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good stuff. I'll stick a link to it wherever I can.
  • declanh
    declanh Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    A few more updates - some in the green list, some in the red...

Ideally I'd like the green list to be alot larger than the red...

IF anyone knows of any more keep them coming for now

ps if youdont see any updates it can be a cacheing issue (esp with firefox)

if you need to (in Firefox) right click in the centre of the screen
    choose This Frame -> Reload Frame
    I used to have a signature with links to the League Tables for good/bad shipping charges for Northern Ireland. But I have since learnt that this is against site rules - so they are no longer here! PM me if you need them
  • declanh
    declanh Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    More Updates added -
    Now 47 retailers in total covered (16 Red 31 Green)
    Worst offender is still https://www.scan.co.uk with £20.96 surcharge

• ivanwilson
    Options
    Play.com - good prices and free delivery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure