Virgo home improvements and credit agreement

Options
Ddraig
Ddraig Posts: 595 Forumite
A family member has only just told me that they signed a credit agreement with Virgo for fascias and soffits .They signed it almost 5 years ago,for £2300.She gets statements and says she still has over £2000 left and paying around £55 a month.Something stinks to me .I only gt the bassics !!! she is so embarrassed and thats why she hass never told anyone.Ive told her Il check it out,see if it sounds familiar to anyone here.If anyone knows of Virgo scamming older ones ,can I have some advise I can go back with.If I can ,she will prob let me see the agreement to let me make more sense of it all.It only came up in conversation so that is why I am not fully prepared with facts at the moment.Please advise.Thankyou xx
SWAGBUCKS Nov 17sbs redeemed; 2 x £5 Amazon
youngpoll 7.70onepoll £33 toluna 29600 plus 3 redeem. valued opinions 9.25pureprofile 5.95mutual points 1265.Hi epanel 24 pointscrowdology 1.52

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    what is the apr on the loan?has she missed any payments at anytime?
  • Ddraig
    Options
    No never missed any payments in her life on anything.
    Dont know Im afraid.But it doesnt even sound like a regular high interest loan too me.
    youngpoll 7.70onepoll £33 toluna 29600 plus 3 redeem. valued opinions 9.25pureprofile 5.95mutual points 1265.Hi epanel 24 pointscrowdology 1.52
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was there any type of insurance added to the loan?
  • Ddraig
    Options
    I will be seeing her tomorrow,will ask her then.Insurance is the only thing I can think would double it.
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    Bear in mind something like 8% apr over 10 years would double the amount.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • Cheers
    Cheers Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    We have just had an unpleasant experience with Virgo. They are from Bradford but have just been called on my 82 year old disabled relative in Birmingham, saying they were in the area, so they must be branching out. We are in the process of waiting to see if they return her deposit after I found out and told them I would phone the police. There are posts about them dating back to 2006 on the web, including stories of threats, and they are still going strong so no consumer body must be taking any action against them.
  • Julio_Monkey
    Options
    Virgo came and fitted some fascias to a family members property. They asked for part-payment up front, but then didn't arrive on the date agreed. They made lots of excuses, and finally came. They left a right mess, and didn't complete the job. Family refused to pay the remainder (couple of hundred quid) as recompense for shoddy workmanship.

I've checked the company out online and they are sister company to Safestyle UK - also not got good reputation.

Virgo then started to make threatening phone calls (surprisingly similar to threads read about SafestyleUK) saying all sorts of frightening stuff.

They really spooked my family - they are good, upstanding, elderly members of the community, who have worked all their lives and are very scared of "breaking the law", and the physical threats Virgo have made. They don't need this kind of stress. The staff at Virgo are not very nice people.

They live in fear of them turning up at their house, and "wrecking it".

I have sought advice from solicitors and they have suggested that my family sue for damages, but all they want to do is forget about the whole damn incident and live in peace once again.

But, the Police WILL be called should they turn up at the house.

"Virgo - you digust me"
  • KingElvis
    KingElvis Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    Options
    ^^ not a company you' recommend then?
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
  • Julio_Monkey
    Options
    KingElvis wrote: »
    ^^ not a company you' recommend then?

Not even my very worst enemy!!!
  • consumer4
    Options
    first of all i couldnt get rid of the annoying bloke who cold called and now have just had a phone call from them a year later asking very strange and personal questions!! - who exactly do i live with and what time did my husband get home from work???? i put the phone down on them they are definitely dodgy -probably trying to sell finance at inflated prices but certainly not reputable as far as i can see
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure