To whom do I complain about Mr Site?

Options
Hi Guys!

Sorry if this is the wrong place...

I have a diy website with Mr Site, have been with them for about 15 months, I have an ecommerce site.

On the 1st March this year they attempted a "Winter Update" to their system. This was supposed to introduce new features to our websites such as, mini cart widget, ability to change URLs, search facility and a few others.

To cut a very long story short, their supposed upgrade has gone catastrophically wrong and many of us have had really serious problems with our sites which has impacted hugely on our businesses resulting in massive loss of earnings.

The update affected my website in three ways:
1) Bold font disappeared and refused to publish.
2)I have a Paypal checkout-normally customers can pay via their Paypal account OR with credit/debit card. The ability to pay by credit/debit card has completely disappeared.
3)I charge extra postage on international orders-this isn't being added.

Bold issue has been resolved (the least important of all) but the other two major problems remain.

I and several other members were banned from the Mr Site forum several days ago, none of us were abusive just utterly exasperated at the situation and the fact that nobody at Mr Site seemed to know how to put all of these problems right nor did they seem to care about how damaging all of this is to our businesses.

They don't reply to emails. I've had two generic emails from the supposed Mr Site support manager, neither have done anything to help, infact the second email was just a joke, they had completely got hold of the wrong end of the stick, it contained a screen-shot of our website checkout procedure and "Point 2" said something like "And this is what you'd like to see next, yes?", NO!!! This was a screen-shot of the problem we were now experiencing!!! They have completely no idea!

So we're 12 days into this now and I personally am into a four-figure loss of earnings. They don't seem to care one bit, they have deleted posts from the forum, people started to write on their Facebook page, messages have been deleted from there too, as though they're trying to pretend it hasn't happened.

So, to which authority do I complain about this? Mr Site's T&C's state that they're not liable for loss of earnings if problems are fixed within a time that is, and I quote, "reasonably practicable". Who determins how long this is? I think 12 days is far beyond reasonable.

Thank you for reading for so long, any advice greatly appreciated!

ladyogrady

Comments

• OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is no authority to govern such matters (as far as I know).
    You have to talk to them yourself, presumably via the phone line - they are US based by looks of it - so a long distance call if you want to sort out your problems.
  • Darksun
    Darksun Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Are they based in the UK? If so that will make things easier, and you can make a complaint to Trading Standards.

How do you pay for your membership? If it's monthly, you could just give them to the end of the month to sort it, and refuse to pay anymore if it's not. Take your business elsewhere. Granted moving hosts will be somewhat damaging to your business, since you'll have to start over again in terms of getting search engine listings and you may use your domain name (depending on who actually controls it), but you have to ask yourself which is more damaging in the long term, sticking where you are or moving to somewhere decent.
  • Ashropshirelady
    Options
    Thank you for highlighting the problems with Mr Site. Your comments are a very accurate description of what has been unfolding over the last 2 weeks.

I was myself banned from the forum on two separate occasions, the last one being until July 2037 (no doubt I shall be dead before I am reinstated) :rotfl:

I think Mr Site have forgotten that members of the forum were actually Paying Customers and not just inconveniences to them. I had a phone call last week from them asking why I had become so negative on the forum as I had always been a positive and helpful member of their community. I wondered at that point whether they had been removed from reality. He assured me that things would get sorted out but that was 12 days ago and still no news.

I have built a new website with another provider and will shortly be transferring my domain name over to them. I have contacted Mr Site to ask about a partial refund as I have 6 months to go on my contract. They have refused. They even want £15 to transfer the domain name.

I contacted Consumer Direct this morning and they have referred my case to Trading Standards.

Banned members of the Mr Site forum have set up a forum where we can help and support each other. I am not allowed obviously to put the link here but please feel free to contact me or another ex-member.
  • SarahBee_2
    Options
    I really wish I'd read stuff like this a few weeks ago :(
    About 15 days ago I subscribed to the Pro option so that I could build and host my new online shop... the amount of problems I've had in that short time has made me wish I hadn't!

I've had issues with the shopping cart where after browsing from section to section the shop just ceases to work and displays blank pages. Also there have been problems with adding products (they duplicate on the pages).
    I've since found out this is common to lots of people along with problems with setting postage as mentioned here and problems with contact forms not working.

I'm really annoyed about this, it's not a great start to the mr.site experience! I emailed customer support to let them know about my problems and tell them it must be something their end because others were experiencing the exact same thing, and recieved an unhelpful email back that advised me to 'use Firefox' (which I was anyway).
    In the same email I had asked about the possibilty of getting a refund and control of my domain name... this question was completely ignored:mad:

I signed up here just to ask if I could get the details of the forum you guys set up please - got a feeling I might need some advice.
    I was supposed to be launching my site this week... doesn't look like that's going to happen now.
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    Peanuts, monkeys.

Pay a proper web developer.
  • Snakeeyes21
    Snakeeyes21 Posts: 2,527 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2010 at 6:10AM
    Options
    Kilty wrote: »
    Peanuts, monkeys.

Pay a proper web developer.

Why when there's perfectly fine templated solutions out there? just because a web designer charges more doesn't mean they are better.

Some of the out of the box solutions have had millions spent on the development, and as such are a million times better that a lot of web designers can produce.

I would love to see an average web developer write a fully featured ecommerce platform from scratch.

Most just skin an existing cart, and charge through the nose for the privilege.
  • neneromanova
    neneromanova Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why when there's perfectly fine templated solutions out there? just because a web designer charges more doesn't mean they are better.

Some of the out of the box solutions have had millions spent on the development, and as such are a million times better that a lot of web designers can produce.

I would love to see an average web developer write a fully featured ecommerce platform from scratch.

Most just skin an existing cart, and charge through the nose for the privilege.

When My OH writes a shopping cart or CMS or anything like that he ALWAYS writes it from scratch. He hates the templated shopping carts and prefers to know what is wrong if somehing does go wrong and not just guess.

Not all Web Developers are lazy like you think.
    What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine..
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 April 2010 at 8:43AM
    Options
    right i see a UK address on the site

http://www.mrsite.co.uk/contact_us.asp

so at this point,is the forum an integral part of the product?
    i dont know much about this stuff TBH
    eg do you need the forum to report/receive update/bug fixes?
    So, to which authority do I complain about this? Mr Site's T&C's state that they're not liable for loss of earnings if problems are fixed within a time that is, and I quote, "reasonably practicable". Who determins how long this is? I think 12 days is far beyond reasonable.

this would be pretty standard in UK consumer law TBH,using terms like reasonably practical regarding timescales
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    Anyone here experiencing problems with Mr Site an HSBC customer?

HSBC endorse Mr Site by giving a discount to their business customers. Anyone who is a Mr Site and HSBC customer would be well advised to make HSBC aware of the problems they are experiencing.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    When My OH writes a shopping cart or CMS or anything like that he ALWAYS writes it from scratch. He hates the templated shopping carts and prefers to know what is wrong if somehing does go wrong and not just guess.

Not all Web Developers are lazy like you think.
    If he doesn't like the commercial solutions, then he should write from scratch. But what he should write from scratch is his own template. That is what I call 'constructive laziness'. It would also benefit his customers when it comes to support and also to costs of a site.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure