PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS living -a moment of self doubt

Options

Comments

• liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Options
    Being OS/a keen moneysaver is something I'm comfortable talking about with my friends and family, but I tend to keep quiet about it at work. Not because I'm ashamed, but just because I don't think they'd get it. I'm in my mid-twenties, and it's really normal for my colleagues to buy ready made/convenience lunches every day (and spend £5 a day just on lunch!). I bring HM soups/stews/salads and if anyone asks, I just say I love to cook, which is true - money doesn't even come into it. The upside is I'm saving hard for a deposit for our first home, and I'm able to indulge my passion for travelling and horse riding without wondering where the money's coming from. Some people are going to struggle to understand why you'd spend time on something, when you could just spend money, but it's all about what you get back from it. Whether that's being able to reduce your hours at work/be a SAHM, eat better for less, or spend money on things that matter to you, that's your choice, and you shouldn't be embarrassed about it!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • rosalie-lavender
    Options
    Well I am glad to be able to report that there are some youngsters that are at least partly OS too. My son started at university in October and has made good friends with his hallmates. They quite often get together to cook cakes and have made bread together, mind you the bread ends up in some very dubious (rude) shapes. At Christmas they got together and cooked a roast dinner that experienced cooks would be proud of with all the veg, bread sauce, pigs in blankets etc. The only trouble is I keep losing my cookery books.:eek:

My son has a budget he sticks to, with it all worked out what he has for different categories and he takes paying off his credit card to extremes. He spends £3 and then goes online and pays it off!

I don't think they are into sewing and make do and mend but at least they aren't all living on burgers and chips all the time.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I have had to be OS all my married life due to my OH being made redundant four times and I have become disabled in the last 5 years. But I don't complain and neither do my family they have always had HM meals even when I was working and I have knitted for them and made things for them and they wouldn't have it any other way. We have lots of happy memories of going foraging in the autumn and making jam etc with our lush pickings.
    Being OS to me doesn't mean just being frugal, it means more family time and MY DD AND DS have been brought up with how to cook , clean, iron, knit, sew and budget which will stand them in good stead when they leave home and have to fend for themselves.
    So I say to all those who laugh at the way I and others on this forum live:p up yours we are happy doing what we do and have no massive credit card debts.
    It is surprising how many are now looking to join OS now, when times are tough isn't it?
    WELCOME TO YOU ALL IT IS THE BEST THING THAT YOU HAVE EVER DONE:T
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • bellaquidsin
    Options
    Reading this thread has been such a tonic. I have always been OS, it enabled me to stay at home and be there for my children and later on to be there for my parents.

I am used to being looked at askance for my lifestyle choice. Reactions vary from the incredulous 'Why would anyone want to make soup when you can by it' to the envious 'You're obviously stinking rich, not having to go out to work'.

We will convert a few, but not many. Our reward is our own gratification and fulfillment. It is indeed a joy to touch base with so many like minded people even if only in the ether.

Keep flying the flag for OS.

Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • clutterydrawer
    Options
    It saddens me that people feel the need to criticise others' lifestyle when it's not harming anyone, and actually doing a lot of good. I wonder what they feel they achieve by doing so?

I can't even begin to detail all the benefits of "living OS"....but for me the accumulated result of them is that I feel a lot saner, calmer and more grounded.
    August grocery challenge: £50
    Spent so far: £37.40 :A
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I like the story that the Frugal Zealot, Amy Daczyzyn tells about her aunt who couldn't understand why she re-used aluminium foil. She bought her some so that she didn't have to re-use it.

It lasted Amy for years......

OS living enabled us to live on one low income for the time we spent bringing up our family - home educating for 10 years - I finally got a job 2 years ago after being out of the job market for 25 years. OS was my job until then. My DH earned the money, I worked at making sure it stretched as far as needed! There might not have been any income, but at least I didn't get taxed on it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think we are slowly and surely putting the cooking back into cookery.I love to cook and can make food taste as nice as possible why go out and spend money on stuff I would probably not enjoy too much.On Saturday at the Meeting I along with Bargain Rzl had the steak and guiness pie.It wasn't bad, I have tasted better but it was so big.I said to her if I was at home I would cut it in half and freeze it for another day and she agreed with me.
    Strange how you look at food in a different way once you become OS.I think even in the unlikely scenario of me suddenly coming into stashs of cash I would still be the way I am, as old habits die hard and I just hate to see waste of any sort.I think its terrific that the ones on here are alert to what they can save and how to make one meal do the job of two.Well done everyone and keep up the good work.I could go back very easily if I wanted to spending more money but I now think, well I could use that money for something else instead which gives me more pleasure.I am off to the cotswolds for a week in the spring and a fortnight on the Isle of Wight in August with my family so saving the odd bob or two here and there pays for it.Well done everyone whatever you do with your happy cash left over enjoy it
  • VenusFlytrap_2
    Options
    Purple - as you've seen from the responses here, you are definitely not alone and don't worry about being OS while you're still young - I'm a few years younger than you and just getting into OS after being a bit silly a couple of years ago when I started working and had plenty of credit available to me - it was shopping sprees, takeaways, ready meals and nights out all the way. :o Was still living at home then and only paying a token amount of board, so I could "afford" all the debt I was getting into.

But now things have changed and I have to support myself plus my dog and 3 cats - the cats were my mum's pets but she's in a nursing home now (she has MS), don't qualify for any benefits as I'm in too young and in full time work, so I pay full rent, council tax etc and once I've paid my bills, there really isn't much left - although I see people on here who feed whole families healthily on less than I manage to spend on just myself, so I definitely could be a lot more OS than I am now, but I'm trying!

Anyway, the point I'm rambling towards is that ultimately even if other people think you're strange for being thrifty and wanting to make things yourself "at your age" it's good to have learnt the lessons young that money should be respected and living within your means and budgeting is better than out of control spending and huge debts.

Not to mention you have discovered the pleasure and satisfaction to be gained from an OS life - I've only just started really, cooking from scratch, keeping a spend diary, writing proper shopping lists and shopping for a month when I get paid (not up to a GC yet but maybe soon...) but already feel more organised and in control and it's a nice feeling. Plus I have a kitchen full of yummy healthy(ish) HM food!

As others have said, it's your life and you should live it the way that makes you happy. If that means OS, then don't let anyone put you off, you will reap the benefits and have the last laugh.
  • Alison_Funnell
    Options
    I aspire to be a full time OS. Honestly.

Sadly due to foolishness and complacency (things are better when I am the chancellor of the exchequer ;) but I lack stamina to do it all the time) we are again straightening ourselves out.

As a young mum I was very OS but then I found peer pressure to 'work' and be one of he crowd. TBH I loved being at home full time and aim to be able to so again.

We are both in work so there is no reason why this shouldn't happen, just need a little shove and OS really gives me that.
    Put the kettle on. ;)
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl:I have laughed at a lot of these comments (and i havent even finished the first page :o) due to them being soooo true!! I started out OS as a need more than a want (29 yr old single mum with a mortage :D and a part time job) but I have totally bought into it! I have always loved cooking and when I weaned DS I wanted to know exactly what was going into his food (bit of an obsession with salt content on pre packed foods :o), I also love seeing whaat I can get from little cost and adore home baking. I am the least creative person on this planet so the whole mending thing is a struggle but I even managed to make my sons nativity costume and was full of pride at seeing him in something I made :rotfl:. This year I plan to grow my own veg and cannot wait to get started.

Many people around me live comfortably and dont have to worry about money and laugh at my cooking and baking but I had to laugh the other day when a good friend emailed me and asked for a couple of my recipes :rotfl:She even mailed me after making one to say wow!
    I laughed soooo much. Wonder how long shes been thinking I make yuck food (just cos its made cheaply) Ah well I will convert her yet
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills