PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

OS living -a moment of self doubt

Options

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You all deserve a great big slice of cake/chocolate/g&t or whatever is your preference!!!!! :T:T:T
    Can I have all three?
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    I get this all the time.

I was nattering on about marmalade making in the school playground the other day and my friend turned to me and said 'wouldn't it be easier to just buy it?' I could have told her that it only costs me 59p a jar to make it, or that I knew exactly what went into it but the real reason I make my own is because it makes me happy :D
    Exactly :D

Fiona, that's the spirit! :A
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Purpleclutterbuck
    Options
    Punk or otherwise!
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce:D
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without:cool:
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Punk or otherwise!
    Exactly. There is no prerequisite :D
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    I get this all the time.

I was nattering on about marmalade making in the school playground the other day and my friend turned to me and said 'wouldn't it be easier to just buy it?' I could have told her that it only costs me 59p a jar to make it, or that I knew exactly what went into it but the real reason I make my own is because it makes me happy :D

Exactly! I think there are all sorts of reasons for doing OS things, some due to necessity and some less so. As far as I'm concerned, though, I do it because I enjoy it, and what more reason does anyone need? :cool:
  • Purpleclutterbuck
    Options
    Of course you can have all three! erm anyone into home-made tonic? or chocolate? I can manage the cake part!
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce:D
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without:cool:
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Glass of HM sloe wine, anyone?:beer:
    I had quite a steep learning curve, as my mother couldn't cook to save her life, so I'm self-taught, but I like making food from scratch for several reasons.
    1. We know exactly what we're eating.
    2. Mr LW loves his food, and to me, making a nice meal for him is a way of expressing my feelings for him.
    3. I had to take medical retirement due to ill-health, so I'm at home the whole time, and it gives me something productive to do. OK, I take longer to do tasks than most folks, but I get there eventually.:o

Mr LW is always happy to do the bits my health prevents me from doing, and we have a saying in our house about "stirring in the magic" when we're doing stuff like jam-making together.

In any case. remember the saying "An' it harm none, do as ye will".:)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • ruthber
    ruthber Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello again, I was talking to a friend yesterday about the need for some potato recipes as i was lucky to find a big bag of potatoes (7.5kilo) in Tescos being sold for 79p. She said she would not have bought them as they were best before the same day, and that she could not have used so many. She also throws away fruit if it is past its best before date. To me those dates are just nonsense. if I keep the potatoes cool and in a dark place they will keep for weeks still. I am going to a bring and share lunch at the church on Sunday, guess what will be the main ingredient of my dish? (haven't decided on what to cook yet but the bag of potatoes will certainly come in handy). Any suggestions, please?
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 January 2010 at 6:21PM
    Options
    meanmarie wrote: »

Do your own thing....this is your life to be lived as suits you best and makes you happy, my now grown family think that I am mad but my reply is usually "each to his own" or a favourite of my late mother's "every cripple has his own way of walking".

Marie
    well said:T:T:T

and I make my own jam for exactly the same reason as Thriftlady - oh and I am GOOD at it and no-one else in my family does it so that makes me proud of myself. My mum was very mistrustful of my Sloe Gin though as she didn'tknow how I knew they were sloes..I think she was scared of being poisoned LOL
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Gothdolly
    Options
    I, like all of you love my OS ways and get the odd look and comment about them but my son paid me a lovely compliment on Saturday. He was tidying his bedroom and asked if I had some 'spray' I gave him a bottle of home made general cleaning spray and a piece of old towel to use. He said the smell was lovely and was amazed that it worked. Anyway a while later he asked me for some window cleaner, I told him I'd have to make some up which I did and off he went to clean his bedroom windows. A while later we were at the market buying our veg and he said to the chap serving "My Mum needs to go on How Clean Is Your House" well you can imagine my face, I'm not the tidiest but I do keep my house clean, I was mortified. The chap looked at me as if to say you dirty mare but my son piped up, because my mum makes better cleaning things than the ladies on there. So I then explained what I did with my cleaning products at home and felt soooo relieved but also proud of myself and my son.

I must point out that my son cleaning his room so thoroughly is not usual, his friend is coming for tea in a couple of days and I said he could only come if his room was tidy, but 10/10 for his effort, I was very impressed. He even vacuumed my stairs yesterday without me asking. He said I was bringing the vac down anyway so thought I'd vac them first.

Really I think he's been abducted by aliens..... anyway I'm going off post.

Just keep it up everyone, we obviously have a positive impact on those around us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport