Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Tixy
    • By Tixy 3rd Jan 10, 10:16 PM
    • 31,062 Posts
    • 39,469 Thanks
    Tixy
    • 3rd Jan 10, 10:16 PM
    • 3rd Jan 10, 10:16 PM
    I really think not taking money is the answer! Or just taking a very small amount.

If you took your lunch to work with you then you wouldn't need to go out at all, or could spend your lunch hour going for a walk or something (not a walk round the shops).

I'm like you once I'm in the shops I spend money, so I take lunch most days and have a drawer full of soups etc for the days I forget (or oversleep!).

If you have to buy lunch then could you leave your purse at work and just take the 3 out with you?

With clothes you could try the old tip of when you see something you want write it down in a notepad. If you still want it a few days later (and haven't found it cheaper elsewhere) then you go back and buy it.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give

or "It costs nowt to be nice"
    • pinkpinkuk
    • By pinkpinkuk 3rd Jan 10, 10:18 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    pinkpinkuk
    • 3rd Jan 10, 10:18 PM
    • 3rd Jan 10, 10:18 PM
    I'm 100% guilty of the work lunch spending spree as well =/ I'm used to spending 25 per week on lunch at work, which is insane. By doing a meal plan for each day of not-boring-sandwiches I've managed to get my spend this week to a fraction of that. Maybe something like this would work for you?

As for clothes spending etc is there something you can do at lunch rather than shop? Some companys have unrestricted computer access, or organise things for people to do in their lunch hour (if you are lucky!) Failing that, go for a non-shopping walk?
    Aiming to be debt free AND a qualified lawyer by 30!
    * Overdraft: 1,700 * Credit Card:
    1,550 1,534 * Uni fees: 945 300 * Wonga:290 * ILEX: 635 *
  • DVardysShadow
    • 3rd Jan 10, 11:44 PM
    • 3rd Jan 10, 11:44 PM
    I'm 100% guilty of the work lunch spending spree as well =/ I'm used to spending 25 per week on lunch at work, which is insane. By doing a meal plan for each day of not-boring-sandwiches I've managed to get my spend this week to a fraction of that. Maybe something like this would work for you?
    Originally posted by pinkpinkuk
    Gotta have nice stuff for my sandwiches. Mrs Shadow looks after me and I rarely feel the need to buy out. And my sandwiches are always something to look forward to.
  • rictus123
    • 3rd Jan 10, 11:53 PM
    • 3rd Jan 10, 11:53 PM
    Theres a new challenge on here for packed lunches and saving money on your lunches at work. Sounds like what you are needing!
    Work in progress...Update coming July 2012.
  • Noselfdiscipline
    • 4th Jan 10, 12:01 AM
    • 4th Jan 10, 12:01 AM
    Talking of moneysaving and work, anyone have any idea how much you would save by recharging mobile phones and ipods at work instead of at home?
    Debt at 1/1/11 7,049.75, now 6,682.12 at 9/3/11
  • rictus123
    • 4th Jan 10, 12:03 AM
    • 4th Jan 10, 12:03 AM
    Pennies but every penny counts, go for it. Simular instead of coming home and having a cup of tea, have 1 at work before you come home! Every little really does help in my eyes. A few changes can make a big difference.
  • Noselfdiscipline
    • 4th Jan 10, 12:05 AM
    • 4th Jan 10, 12:05 AM
    One thing I cant bring myself to do is have a dump at work instead of at home, thus saving myself money in bog roll and water. Id rather do it at home!!!
    Debt at 1/1/11 7,049.75, now 6,682.12 at 9/3/11
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 4th Jan 10, 12:06 AM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    • 4th Jan 10, 12:06 AM
    • 4th Jan 10, 12:06 AM
    why don't you take a lunch box with you make sarnies at home or salads or whatever you like

alos take a flask with tea or coffee in
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • rictus123
    Cheers for sharing that btw lol. I take in 2 lunch boxes and a flask and a big bottle of dilutin juice. I have 2 lunch boxes so if i open one and dont fancy something in there, i have something in the other one instead of going to a shop. What i dont use i just take the next day until it gets used up! Get a cheap kettle for work instead of a flask even?
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 6th Jan 10, 7:52 AM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,128 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Are there any free activities near your workplace that you can enjoy without spending?
    I used to work in central London once a month, & popped into galleries at lunch times for a quick burst of culture (mind, it was a compulsory full hour lunch break!)
    Otherwise, go for a walk: gives you a chance to get out of the building & get some fresh air.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • JasX
    • By JasX 6th Jan 10, 8:35 AM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 2,571 Thanks
    JasX
    Talking of moneysaving and work, anyone have any idea how much you would save by recharging mobile phones and ipods at work instead of at home?
    Originally posted by Noselfdiscipline
    I remember seeing figures of 5p-15p a charging cycle. so guess it depends how big your battery is and how long it holds its charge....

you'll all hate me, I get a free hot lunch at work
  • BenEvans
    Ah, I used to work somewhere with a hugely subsidised canteen - good quality hot food for about 1 a day....

Haven't got that any more but packed lunches are the way to go to save money, and maybe treat yourself to a shop bought lounch once a week? I used to do that but soon resented the extra money compared to a packed lunch, and stopped!
  • BeautyandtheBeast
    take a packed lucnh and a book - sit and read and chill! xx
    O/S Debt: PL 15207.34 9884.55; HSBC 4060.99; Tesco1430.15; M&S 5990.17; Virgin 5158.69 4210.14; Egg 4619.00; O/S = 30,292.42 AIM - To Be Debt Free 56 months
  • Gottodothis
    I cannot bear sandwiches and i refuse to pay the ridiculous 4.25 for a jacket potato with cheese, so i bring my own.

When i cook dinner at night i either put a spud in the bottom of the oven at the same time or cook extra dinner and take that to work with me.

Every friday i meet with a friend and we have a pub lunch we take it in turns each week to pay. we always have a large lunch to share. that is my treat for the week. The rest of the week i either surf the web or read in my lunch hour.

With the money that i have saved by not buying lunches everyday I have bought myself a treadmill!
    • spykey_uk
    • By spykey_uk 6th Jan 10, 10:57 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    spykey_uk
    I go home for lunch but realise that not everyone has that luxury!

Fill a thermos with soup, bring sandwiches, or microwave meals if your office has one (mine doesn't )

I think the important one for me is not to go into town, because as soon as I do that I'm toast! Take a book with you to read on your lunchbreak, or a DS if you have one, go for a wander (in opposite direction from town!), go to free museums etc.

It is tricky, one I could do with improving myself! x
    Mortgage when started (Dec 2013): 157,272.50
    Current mortgage (date): 156,885.56
    Mortgage free day: Dec 2043
    • superfran_uk
    • By superfran_uk 6th Jan 10, 11:15 AM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 2,786 Thanks
    superfran_uk
    I have had jobs where i'd go out for lunch almost ever day at a pub or go shopping on my way home from work - although I could afford to at the time as I had no mortgage and if you can afford to, there's no harm in it really!

Nowadays I'm much more careful with my money and I'm also trying to lose weight for my wedding so I have extra motivation not to spend money on fattening takeaway sandwiches, jacket potatoes or pub grub. I work 2 minutes away from the town centre, and I tend to stay in the office over my lunch break and bring lunch (soups, salads, cracker bread and cream cheese, tinned spaghetti, sometimes leftovers to re-heat) - particularly when the weather is so grim, it's not nice to have to go out to buy food!

If it's nice weather, I'll eat and then go for a quick wander round the shops - but leave my wallet locked in a drawer! If i really want something I can go back and get it after work, if I still think I need it!

My office is quite good though and has a microwave, fridge etc. Once we gave a guy 1 each and he made a massive spag bol which we re-heated and had for lunch. It did take some planning as we all had to bring in plates, but was a genius idea and very MSE, and we've been meaning to do it again (maybe with something like a curry!) - although it wasn't great for productivity as we were all sleepy in the afternoon!
    Last edited by superfran_uk; 06-01-2010 at 11:25 AM.
  • imamoneysaver
    i work in a shopping centre so I'm always tempted by every food place you can think of no more than 2 mins away, let alone all the clothes shops!

I used to buy M&S for lunch everday, costing at least 4 a day. I take my lunch to work with me now though, leave my bank card at home and have no more than 10 in my purse. I also try and stay in work during my breaks, although that means usually working through my lunch hour!

When I go shopping I buy rolls on offer and freeze them as theres only me and they have a low life. I keep some ham, butter, beef, whatever I want really at work so I can make them fresh at lunch- they taste much better than made the night before and suffocated in cling film! Every few weeks I make a big batch of spag bol/ casseroll (sp?) and freeze about 6-8 portions. Just take them and a few rolls out of the frezzer the night before and by lunch time I have a cheap filling meal!

xxx
    All focused on saving for a 2 year trip around the world

Aiming for August 2015, dependent on my Boyfriend's willpower to save!
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Jan 10, 3:44 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 23,443 Thanks
    foxgloves
    My partner & I worked out we were spending about 2000 a year for the two of us to go out during our lunch break & buy sandwiches, crisps, drink, etc. We've taken packed lunches ever since. It doesn't have to be sandwiches and in any case, you can make nice fillings yourself - home-made doesn't have to be substandard to M&S and co. Can also use leftoever rice, pasta, potato, whatever from the night before to make salads......in winter, we often take home-made soup in a flask or for nuking, or when we're cooking, we'll put extra portions away of things like pasta bake, curry, stews, etc, as my husband sometimes likes taking something that isn't sandwiches. You just get used to it. I'm part time so on days I'm not working, I'll do the packed lunches ready for the next day, on days we're both working, whichever of us isn't washing up after our evening meal will make the packed lunches for the next day. I just keep thinking of the 2000 we used to waste and couldn't go back to all the bought in lunches now.
    • wildthing01
    • By wildthing01 6th Jan 10, 5:22 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    wildthing01
    Originally posted by Noselfdiscipline

would this not count as stealing from the company??????
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,441Posts Today

7,902Users online

Martin's Twitter