Is Egypt classed as Europe

Options
My Girlfriend and i are off to Sharm in January for 2 weeks all inclusive (£800 from bristol incl transfers in the Aqua blu sharm:p)

I am trying to find travel insurance, and i dont know wetehr Egypt is classed as Europe for insurance purposes, i realise its the middle east/Africa, but im sure the last time i went it was Egypy (or perhaps i wasnt adequitely insured:eek:).

Anyway, any help with this would be great, wheres the best place to buy it also.

Thanks.:D

Comments

• AdRock
    AdRock Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    We're off there too in January and i think Egypt is classed as Africa (north).

I think i did a quote with moneysupermarket a while ago but can't remember but i know it wasn't expensive
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The free European travel insurance which comes with the Alliance and Leicester Premier Account includes all countries bordering the Mediterranean. So that includes Eygpt.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Saga classes Egypt as Europe for holiday purposes.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Gordie1975
    Options
    Thank you for the responses.

Fortunately i am too young to get insurance with SAGA:D, not sure thats legal, but there you go.:p
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you need to ask your insurer before you buy.

I cannot believe that many insurance companies regard countries such as Lebanon and Algeria (both bordering the Mediterranean) as being part of Europe, since the level of risk they pose is significantly greater than somewhere like Norway.
  • Kenny_Powers_3
    Options
    Its Africa.

As far as i know the only dodgy one is Turkey since half is in Europe and half is in Asia.
  • creased-leach
    Options
    We got an annual family policy to cover us all in Europe. Eldest DD called & said she had plans for trips to Egypt, and Morocco, and could we check the policy. Amazingly, Egypt and Morocco both came under region 1- which we're covered for :)
    Only dead fish go with the flow...
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most insurance companies class countries that are bordering the Med as Europe, but you would need to check that the specific insurance company you are looking at does this.

Turkey is usually also classed as Europe even though the tourist areas are in the Asian side of Turkey.
  • arealhighlander
    Options
    I'm quite sure most travel insurances will NOT class Egypt as Europe just because it has a border on the Med. It will be classed as North Africa.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm quite sure most travel insurances will NOT class Egypt as Europe just because it has a border on the Med. It will be classed as North Africa.

Actually most travel insurance companies DO class Egypt as Europe - this has happened every time I've bought holiday insurance for our last 13 visits, each policy was from a reputable company.

I even asked for written confirmation the first few times, but apparently it is an industry standard rather than bad geography.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport