7-14% fuel saving??

Options
derrick
derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Got a flyer posted through the door,suggesting 7-14% fuel saving, web address,(they have local suppliers) http://www.increasedmiles.myffi.biz/en/section_100.asp

any comments?
There is a "click here" about half way down in the centre column for an explanation of how it works.
Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

Comments

• tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just going to read it, but I bet it's total garbage.
    Happy chappy
  • tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, they claim it deposits a micro film on the combustion chamber surfaces and this somehow improves combustion efficiency by 7-14%. They conveniently forget to explain just how this actually works.
    Because it doesn't.
    Happy chappy
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OK, they claim it deposits a micro film on the combustion chamber surfaces and this somehow improves combustion efficiency by 7-14%. They conveniently forget to explain just how this actually works.
    Because it doesn't.

From the first page:-
    MPG-Cap™ is a 100% organic engine conditioner that simultaneously improves fuel economy and power by creating a micro-thin coating on the combustion chamber in your engine allowing your fuel to burn more efficiently.

MPG-Caps™ will actually help your engine by decreasing wear on combustion chamber components and as an added benefit it helps your engine burn cleaner, reducing harmful emissions.

Does this not go some way to explaining?

I am not endorsing or promoting this product and have no connection to the company whatsoever, just wanted some feedback, I would probably agree it won't work but you never know, there must be something out there that will give increased fuel economy, besides the obvious good driving habits.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• tomstickland
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, regular oil changes, correct wheel alignment, correct tyre pressure, plugs and leads in good order, smooth driving etc will all add up to a few percent.
    There is no wonder treatment.
    Happy chappy
  • rrockettman
    rrockettman Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like they're talking a load of rubbish to me. By the description of a microfilm coating the cylinders, I can't see how this will improve combustion. It might improve the friction, but that wouldn't affect the fuel consumption by more than 1 to 2 % and may also invalidate any engine warranty.
    Before the days of decent engine oil, we could only buy the bog standard 20/40 stuff. Things like slick 50 worked then, but today, with synthetic and semi synthetic oils they no longer have a place in the market.
    Russ.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wouldn't it also have to re-program the engine management unit to squirt 7-14% less fuel in per cycle?
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    surprised these scams are still doing the rounds!
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Options
    Complete loads of codswallop - only thing it will reduce is your bank balance.

If it's that good why don't the manufacturers use it on new cars?
  • tonys_3
    tonys_3 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    You have to exercise care with these claims. There are a few products on the market that do work and many more that don't. I worked for a company that had a great product that did work [I would say that wouldn't I]. It was
    so good that Ford altered their warranty specifications for a large haulage
    company after testing it for some months. Because it is designed to fit in the fuel tank, its use is better for hgv's than cars since they don't have anti
    theft devices fitted.
    This one however looks dubious as it stands. It only shows one test, and
    it does not show the company that actually tested it. Nor was there any
    proof or corroboration that the product had been used in the vehicle. Nor was
    there a before and after test. Perhaps that vehicle was registering zero
    emissions before using the product?
    Before spending money on those kind of products, exhaustive tests should
    already have been carried out by the makers, and their results shown. There
    would be many tests completed before a final conclusion can be arrived at.

And people saying that they noticed immediate results should not be taken
    as evidence.
    To answer blue haddock: it takes months to verify that this kind of product
    works and it costs money to do it. Once a major company fitted it to all
    their vehicles, every other manufacturer would then fit it without having to
    incur any costs. So where is the advantage to the first company to try?
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to save about 6% fuel, you can safely add 0.002% Acetone to your fuel, diesel or petrol, there are quite a few people who are doing this with no problems......and reporting savings.

I am waiting till I come back from France next month where acetone is more readily available and cheaper too. But if you are restricted to the UK market look for fibreglass suppliers, or boat builders who should be able to selll you a litre for anything between 80p - £3.50

The amount to add is 2ml per litre fuel approx, find your tank capacity, say 35 litres, before filling from almost empty squirt 70ml into the filler neck then fill up as normal. If you want you can try 1.5ml per litre of fuel to begin with.

I'd be suspicious that the product in this thread would
    a) be garbage
    b) be acetone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills