Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Christie_L
    OMG! Huge Spot :-(
    • 18th May 06, 12:32 PM
    OMG! Huge Spot :-( 18th May 06 at 12:32 PM
    It's typical, I've been out of work for nearly a month now and just got asked to attend an interview for a really good job tomorrow. But as usual, the universe seems to be plotting against me cos I got up this morning, looked in the mirror and there's a huge, inflammed spot right on the bridge of my nose!

Does anyone know of any home-made/OS spot remedies, that will shrink it by tomorrow afternoon? Or will I have to wear a bag over my head/motorbike helmet like in that cold-sore advert

Last edited by MSE Martin; 23-05-2006 at 4:16 PM.
Page 1
  • Midmac
    • 18th May 06, 12:34 PM
    • 18th May 06, 12:34 PM
    Toothpaste
    Midmac Aka Crazy baby
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 18th May 06, 12:46 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    • 18th May 06, 12:46 PM
    • 18th May 06, 12:46 PM
    Tea tree oil.
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082!
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 16,956 Debt now: 0.00
    Aims: clear debt, get married, buy a house ALL DONE!!
  • nicola1982
    • 18th May 06, 1:28 PM
    • 18th May 06, 1:28 PM
    Ice cubes reduce the swelling
    4000 challenge

Currently leftover - 3872.15
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 18th May 06, 1:31 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    • 18th May 06, 1:31 PM
    • 18th May 06, 1:31 PM
    toothpaste is good for drying out a spot and tea tree seems to help with very red spots

if i have a spot with a dry area round it then i use good ole savlon or sudocrem
  • Kazonline
    • 18th May 06, 1:59 PM
    • 18th May 06, 1:59 PM
    Garlic is excellent - both eaten and put on a spot (but chew parsley after to rid the smell) I know lush do an excellent face mask that contains garlic (in the 'chiller' part in store. Whether you can stomach sitting there with it on your face is another thing. I've often rubbed a raw clove over it and it seems to help - and vitamin c (I use a skin boost serum, not very OSE I know) seems to help speed up the healing process.
    Hope it goes well for you at the interview - and don't worry, I'm sure they won't be worried about a spot. Besides, bridge of the nose isn't so bad - it could've been on the tip!
    Kaz x
  • Jay-Jay
    • 18th May 06, 2:05 PM
    • 18th May 06, 2:05 PM
    Pile cream!

seriously

.....and don't mess with it
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• caffeinehit
    • 18th May 06, 2:18 PM
    • 18th May 06, 2:18 PM
    Rimmel stick concealer. Wonderful stuff.
  • FTB83
    • 18th May 06, 2:21 PM
    • 18th May 06, 2:21 PM
    I find that dabbing a cotton bud in disinfectant and then on to the spot and followed by small blob of savlon all just before you go to bed works a treat.

Best of luck for the interview!
  • tina68
    Pile cream!

seriously

by Jay-Jay
    lol What gave you the idea to put pile cream on your spot
    I know models use it on the wrinkles round the eyes but thats a new one on me
    on this day 23/05/1430
    Joan of Arc captured and delivered to the English
  • louB
    I tend to use toothpaste at night and in the morning its dried up and easier to conceal.

Good Luck!
    2.00 Coin Savers Club - 72.00

Boots Points 10.06 Saving For Christmas
  • Jay-Jay
    lol What gave you the idea to put pile cream on your spot
    I know models use it on the wrinkles round the eyes but thats a new one on me
    by tina68

Well one day I slipped with the tube and......

No, I read it somewhere Pile cream is an astringent and reduces redness and swelling by tightening up the little blood vessels feeding the offending 'lump'.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• redballoon
    This is my secret tip! Disolve one or two soluable aspirins with a tiny drop of water, once it has turned into paste apply and leave to dry. Once dry, add a bit more water and leave to dry again. then rinse off.
    It can be left on overnight. It works everytime but not many people know, so there you are!
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 18th May 06, 5:15 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    This is my secret tip! Disolve one or two soluable aspirins with a tiny drop of water, once it has turned into paste apply and leave to dry. Once dry, add a bit more water and leave to dry again. then rinse off.
    It can be left on overnight. It works everytime but not many people know, so there you are!
    by redballoon
    That works for bites as well. Stops them itching and calms them down.

Good luck with it!!

And anyway, it's probably one of those that you think is massive but no-one else can see!!

Good luck in the interview tomorrow!
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 18th May 06, 5:20 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    Wear Glasses??????????????????
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
    • Crispy Ambulance
    • By Crispy Ambulance 18th May 06, 8:01 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,163 Thanks
    Crispy Ambulance
    toothpaste and some concealer tomorrow. Good luck!
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • Hellfire
    Pile cream!

seriously

by Jay-Jay
    well, i for one believe you. ages ago i read somewhere that preparation h, the cream for piles, does wonders for face skin.

no i haven't tried it myself, as i'm too embarrassed to go in and ask for preparation h. anyone wanna get it for me?
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 19th May 06, 11:16 AM
    • 5,666 Posts
    • 8,762 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    The Asprin can be used as a face mask as it is Salicycilic acid which is often the active ingredient in more expensive cleansers.
  • Christie_L
    Thanks to everyone for your tips. I thought I'd conduct an experiment last night with the pile creme on the big offending spot, and toothpaste on a smaller one which decided to pop up on my chin.

In the morning, and to my slight shock, the bigger spot (with the pile creme applied) had all but disappeared but with a little dry skin where the spot was. Nothing a bit of moisuriser + concealer won't hide

The smaller spot with the toothpaste applied had also gone, but the area where the paste was (in the exact shape of the paste area) was a little red, like my skin had reacted to the paste. I do have sensitive skin though so maybe the colgate was a bit too harsh for it.

So there you are! Thanks for saving my pride today and fingers crossed for the interview this afternoon!

Christie x
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 19th May 06, 2:46 PM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    Thanks to everyone for your tips. I thought I'd conduct an experiment last night with the pile creme on the big offending spot, and toothpaste on a smaller one which decided to pop up on my chin.

In the morning, and to my slight shock, the bigger spot (with the pile creme applied) had all but disappeared but with a little dry skin where the spot was. Nothing a bit of moisuriser + concealer won't hide

The smaller spot with the toothpaste applied had also gone, but the area where the paste was (in the exact shape of the paste area) was a little red, like my skin had reacted to the paste. I do have sensitive skin though so maybe the colgate was a bit too harsh for it.

So there you are! Thanks for saving my pride today and fingers crossed for the interview this afternoon!

Christie x
    by Christie_L
    Wa-hey!

Let us know how you got on won't you!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,762Posts Today

7,393Users online

Martin's Twitter