Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 8th Sep 09, 3:41 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you contribute to a strangerís train ticket?
    • 8th Sep 09, 3:41 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you contribute to a strangerís train ticket? 8th Sep 09 at 3:41 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

You’re on the train abroad, overhearing a ticket inspector talking to an English woman behind you. She hands her ticket to be checked but is told she’s got the wrong ticket (another network covers the same route) so she must pay £10 cash there and then or face a £50 fine. She's distraut as she doesn't have the cash on her, and starts asking if anyone would help.

Would you contribute to a stranger’s train ticket?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View all

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 08-09-2009 at 7:46 PM.
Page 1
  • Noggin the Nog
    • 8th Sep 09, 8:20 PM
    • 8th Sep 09, 8:20 PM
    I'd pay the £10 for her and I would ask her, when she gets home, to donate the £10 to one of the charities I support, using the Justgiving.com charity donation site, where people can donate online to nearly 8,000 registered charities; they even add gift aid automatically for those eligible. You'll easily find any charity on there.

I've done this already several times on local buses. Visitors to my town quite often use the bus I'm on to get to the railway station but the driver often can't change their tenner or twenty so I give them the £1.50 or so they need for their fare. In return, I ask them to donate the amount I've given them to ME Research UK or the ME Association's Ramsay Research Fund via any of their supporters' pages on Justgiving.com.

No one has let me down yet and people typically add a bit on top! I suppose you might get the occasional scammer or deadbeat but I'd rather trust to human nature most of the time. Asking people to give the money to charity rather than arranging for them to pay you back is less embarrassing all round, so I think that this is a good solution, as long as you're prepared to give that amount to charity (via the person in distress) and to trust people. Doing this also helps promote the JustGiving site, which is of benefit to all charities.
    Last edited by Noggin the Nog; 08-09-2009 at 8:27 PM. Reason: I missed a few more words out!
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 8th Sep 09, 8:22 PM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    • 8th Sep 09, 8:22 PM
    • 8th Sep 09, 8:22 PM
    If I had it, yes. Hopefully other passengers would join in and we'd all pay a little bit each.

What's the relevance of her being English, by the way?
  • Minxy_Bella
    • 8th Sep 09, 8:23 PM
    • 8th Sep 09, 8:23 PM
    Yes, I'd bail her out and not think twice about it, tbh.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Sep 09, 8:24 PM
    • 17,564 Posts
    • 44,406 Thanks
    elsien
    • 8th Sep 09, 8:24 PM
    • 8th Sep 09, 8:24 PM
    Not sure - a bit too reminiscent of the cons where people pretend they've lost their wallet/tickets etc.
    If I really thought she was genuine I'd help out, but being skint I'd be unlikely to have the full £10 anyway.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 8th Sep 09, 8:33 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 8th Sep 09, 8:33 PM
    • 8th Sep 09, 8:33 PM
    Of course I would, it's only a tenner and I remember the day I was poor and penniless.

• McKneff
    • By McKneff 8th Sep 09, 9:13 PM
    • 36,236 Posts
    • 46,692 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 8th Sep 09, 9:13 PM
    • 8th Sep 09, 9:13 PM
    I would probably organise a whip round.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • moneypenny2k
    • By moneypenny2k 8th Sep 09, 10:08 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    moneypenny2k
    • 8th Sep 09, 10:08 PM
    • 8th Sep 09, 10:08 PM
    Not sure - a bit too reminiscent of the cons where people pretend they've lost their wallet/tickets etc.
    If I really thought she was genuine I'd help out, but being skint I'd be unlikely to have the full £10 anyway.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Yep, I agree none of us wish to feel like we've been scammed. However, I'd rather give to 99 people that are on the take, rather than ignore the one person that really really needs the help.
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 8th Sep 09, 10:09 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    tallgirld
    • 8th Sep 09, 10:09 PM
    • 8th Sep 09, 10:09 PM
    In a word............ NO.
    • Sbarkia
    • By Sbarkia 8th Sep 09, 10:18 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Sbarkia
    Definitely if I had it. I too would rather trust people. That way I may be permanently skint but at least I can live with my conscience.
    • jackdaw
    • By jackdaw 8th Sep 09, 10:24 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    jackdaw
    no, because £10 is more than I can afford and it could be a scam.

I sympathise with her but I've made mistakes unwittingly myself or had things happen to me e.g. burgled.. it happens in life.. I swallow it up and learn from it.
    Last edited by jackdaw; 08-09-2009 at 10:28 PM.
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 8th Sep 09, 10:25 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 8,638 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    This is a tough call if your finances are really tight but - yes. If I could, I would help her. It's the right thing to do. If it was someone clearly out to blag a cheap ride who'd been 'busted' then possibly not, but I couldn't NOT at least try to help this person out and live with myself. You never know when you might face the same situation yourself.

One of my friends was once travelling across France and Germany by train. She had her purse stolen and, although she still had her ticket and travelling documents, she was understandably distraught. A chap on the train (a stranger. From Belgium, I think) bought her a drink and made sure she was OK, before helping her to report the matter to the right people. He wasn't 'making a move' on her - he was just being decent, and it meant the world to my friend Claire. It made such a difference and she was still talking about his kindness and basic, decent, humanity and how touched she was by it for ages afterwords.

A simple gesture of kindness can mean SO much. Even if it is contributing the whole £10 or just 50p to a 'whip-round' pot with the other passengers.

And, in any case, I'd feel so glad that I'd done the right thing that I would consider it money well spent.
    Last edited by RuthnJasper; 08-09-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: After reading the MMD question again!
  • poet123
    This is a tough call if your finances are really tight but - yes. If I could, I would help her. It's the right thing to do. If it was someone clearly out to blag a cheap ride who'd been 'busted' then possibly not, but I couldn't NOT at least try to help this person out and live with myself. You never know when you might face the same situation yourself.

One of my friends was once travelling across France and Germany by train. She had her purse stolen and, although she still had her ticket and travelling documents, she was understandably distraught. A chap on the train (a stranger. From Belgium, I think) bought her a drink and made sure she was OK, before helping her to report the matter to the right people. He wasn't 'making a move' on her - he was just being decent, and it meant the world to my friend Claire. It made such a difference and she was still talking about his kindness and basic, decent, humanity and how touched she was by it for ages afterwords.

A simple gesture of kindness can mean SO much. Even if it is contributing the whole £10 or just 50p to a 'whip-round' pot with the other passengers.

And, in any case, I'd feel so glad that I'd done the right thing that I would consider it money well spent.
    Originally posted by RuthnJasper
    That is exactly why I would pay it, and why.
    • BeenieCat
    • By BeenieCat 8th Sep 09, 10:42 PM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    BeenieCat
    If it was in England, then no i wouldn't cos i'm skint and i'd just think it was a bit careless of her not to get the right ticket,m even though i would sympathise.

However, because it was in a foreign country i would feel compelled to help a fellow English person, as i know it can be scary in other countries, particularly using public transport.

• ncrossland
    • By ncrossland 8th Sep 09, 10:46 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    ncrossland
    You should be careful you don't get arrested for begging (seriously):
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/8223262.stm
    • debsy42
    • By debsy42 8th Sep 09, 10:51 PM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 9,142 Thanks
    debsy42
    I certainly would as I would hope that if I was ever in that situation that someone would help me. Reminds me of the time when I was in New York, we were waiting for a bus and realised we didn't have any coins for the fare and I knew they wouldn't take notes. We saw the bus in the distance and were flapping a bit as we'd already waited about half an hour for it and didn't have time to run to the shop to get some change. All of a sudden the other people waiting all dug in their pockets and handed my friend and I a handful of coins, more than enough for the fare. We were gobsmacked at their kindness in helping some daft, gormless tourists so yes I definately would help someone in a similar situation.
    ITV Winners Club #87
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 8th Sep 09, 10:56 PM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    If it was in England, then no i wouldn't cos i'm skint and i'd just think it was a bit careless of her not to get the right ticket,m even though i would sympathise.

However, because it was in a foreign country i would feel compelled to help a fellow English person, as i know it can be scary in other countries, particularly using public transport.
    Originally posted by BeenieCat
    That was exactly my response. If I was abroad I'd help a fellow English traveller in distress if I possibly could.

In fact this nearly happened to my sister and I in Germany recently. We had bought a cheap day return to Cologne. We were told what platform to go to, and happily got on the train, not realising that this was a high speed intercity train, and the regional train that we needed left from the same platforn 3 minutes later. We found out when the guard inspected our tickets and told us they were not valid for that train, which was going to Cologne AIRPORT

It was made more difficult by the fact that we don't speak German and the guard didn't speak English. Fortunately another passenger stepped in and translated for us, and the guard was very helpful, made sure we got off at the nearest station and pointed us in the right direction for the train to take us to Cologne City. He didn't charge us extra or fine us, though I am sure he could have done. And the other passengers laughed and wished us a safe onward journey!

So yes, I definitely would help someone in that position!
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
    • bobbledoit
    • By bobbledoit 8th Sep 09, 11:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    bobbledoit
    Yes I would as I was in a similar situation some years ago(1970) in Spain when I needed cash for a ferry ticket and the Spanish RAC equivalent would not advance me any money, a total stranger said " you look upset whats wrong " when I explained he gave me £40 and his address and said don't loose it. Not a dry eye in the house!!
  • chrishayton
    A fellow countryman/woman in a foreign land - its a no brainer! Of course I would and would think nothing of it!
  • ACID
    if i had the money on me..and i wasnt short for the day..etc

then id pay them..providing they looked trusting enough..not a person who clearly jumped the trains to avodi paying

besides to me its the good deed of the day! you feel better when you have done it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,094Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin