We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Steady as she goes...Mizmir starts over

Options
Well I am under instructions from BOB to start a new diary so here it is. For those who don't know me, I have been a DFW on and off for some time - each time I have tried, it has gone well for six months or so then circumstances have overtaken me and I have gone off the rails. Result is that my debt is only slightly lower than it was two years ago. I was last here around Easter time. Once again various real life intervened, work became difficult and my debt free by Christmas quest was the casualty. It is a pattern that is becoming too familiar. I have been reflecting on this a lot over the past few weeks - feeling dreadful for leaving (especially having started the DF in 2009 thread) - and feeling powerless to do anything about it. And I think I am starting to understand what is happening - I have been trying to do things too quickly. Like a crash diet I have been paring things to the bone and being completely unrealistic about how quickly we can pay things off. When anything goes wrong I have given up.

So my new plan is to take my time and lose the debts slowly and steadily - I have redone my snowball and worked out it will take 3 years to become debt free at a pace that I think is realistic. Might be quicker if I can make some extra money but I'm not going to bank on it as we'll be running two homes from next month when my OH starts work in a different city. We need to get rid of our debts so that we can make real choices for the future.

So off we go.
Current debt: £19,738.61 DFD: July 2012.
Current focus: spending diary, sticking to budget

Comments

• Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about falling off the wagon! You are not in any more debt than when you started, you would have been if you had not tried at all ... and you are striving to learn from your mistakes. :T
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the bigger scheme of things, 3 years is not so bad.

Real life does get in the way sometimes doesn't it!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • mizmir
    mizmir Posts: 3,710 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks guys - you are right - 3 years is not so bad - and it could be sooner but the important thing is it is sustainable! I am going to try building up good MSE habits rather than blitzing. I will work on one habit a week so that I stick to them.

This week's habit: check bank account daily and reconciling with budgets.
  • Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mizmir! Nice to see you back. Has your work situation improved at all? I seem to remember you had a lot of stress when you were last here. Hope you feel OK about living apart from your OH for a while. Who gets the dogs?
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

• mizmir
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi seaxwyn work just as stressful if not more so but am looking at that too. OH will be away 3-4 days a week - dogs stay with me as she will have a tiny place - just a room really. I'm ok with it - but we will need to be extra careful with money!
  • mizmir
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ok - have checked banking this morning and reconciled to budget - nothing untoward except a payment out that is familiar but I can't think what it is for :o - need to check that and make sure it is something we still need. Found a DD still active for dry cleaning which we never use so cancelled that - only £7.95 annual but is better with us than them!

And am planning to start a programme to get fitter - been to the running board and am going to start with more brisk walking! wish me luck!
  • taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2009 at 8:42PM
    Options
    Welcome back and happy new diary.I totally agree things have to be sustainable and 3 years is great.
  • 40somethingmum
    40somethingmum Posts: 2,513 Forumite
    Options
    mizmir wrote: »
    And am planning to start a programme to get fitter - been to the running board and am going to start with more brisk walking! wish me luck!

Good luck:T:T
    40SM:D
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Oooh lovely to see you back Miz.:j Sounds like it has been completely chaotic at your end, but i am sure that things will settle down. Also i am thinking that the move will be a strain for both of you emotionally so fingers crossed that there are few hiccoughs in that dept. x

But it is nice to see you around the boards again, purely from a selfish point of view! I too will be here for about three years am aiming for 2012 as a DFD, but if Mr.B sabotages it all then who knows:confused:...pension time probably:rotfl::rotfl:
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • mizmir
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Oooh lovely to see you back Miz.:j Sounds like it has been completely chaotic at your end, but i am sure that things will settle down. Also i am thinking that the move will be a strain for both of you emotionally so fingers crossed that there are few hiccoughs in that dept. x

You're right of course - it is going to be a bit of a strain. But the old job has been such a nightmare for her in the past year or so that I am hoping she will be much happier in this one. At least she can work at home some of the time so won't be away all week.
    But it is nice to see you around the boards again, purely from a selfish point of view! I too will be here for about three years am aiming for 2012 as a DFD, but if Mr.B sabotages it all then who knows:confused:...pension time probably:rotfl::rotfl:

OK Bob - will try to stay around with you and we can cheer each other on! Though hope it won't be pension time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport