Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 15th Apr 06, 7:15 PM
    • 1,251Posts
    • 3,802Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    HM Cheese scones
    • 15th Apr 06, 7:15 PM
    HM Cheese scones 15th Apr 06 at 7:15 PM
    Have had a quick look through mega index but can;t find a recipie for them.

After being without the use of an oven for 18months I am making the most of having one.

I used to make delish cheese scones but can;t find the recipie I used to use.

I have found a few on websites, but I prefer to ask you lot as I know you guy's are real people - lol

Thanks in advance
    L
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
Page 1
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 15th Apr 06, 7:35 PM
    • 23,808 Posts
    • 3,165,183 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 15th Apr 06, 7:35 PM
    • 15th Apr 06, 7:35 PM
    Here is one from the Be-Ro website.
    http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_insp.htm
    HTH!!
  • Noozan
    • 15th Apr 06, 7:48 PM
    • 15th Apr 06, 7:48 PM
    Rub 2oz of butter into 8oz of self raising flour. Add pinch of salt and 3 oz grated cheddar 9and pinch of mixed herbs if you like). Stir and then add enough milk to bring the mixture to a firm dough. Roll out to about 1.5cm thick and cut into rounds, taking care not to "twist" the cutter or they won't rise properly. Glaze with beaten egg and cook at 210 for 10 - 12 mins until brown.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 15th Apr 06, 8:52 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 15th Apr 06, 8:52 PM
    • 15th Apr 06, 8:52 PM
    Another tip to help any cheesy baked goods, add a teaspoon of dry mustard powder. It helps enrich the cheese flavour
  • glenstan
    • 15th Apr 06, 8:55 PM
    • 15th Apr 06, 8:55 PM
    here is the farmhouse kitchen cook book recipe
    4 oz plain flour
    1\2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
    1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1\2 teaspoon salt
    1 oz margarine
    4 oz oatmeal
    2 oz grated cheese
    a little milk
    sift together in a bowl the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and salt
    rub in the fat, mix in oatmeal and cheese
    add enough milk to form a stiffish dough
    turn dough onto a floured board, knead lightly, roll out quite thick and cut into rounds
    put scones onto a greased baking sheet
    bake in hot oven gas 8, 450f , 230c for 12 mins
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 16th Apr 06, 2:51 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    • 16th Apr 06, 2:51 PM
    • 16th Apr 06, 2:51 PM
    Made these this am. Used the Be-ro recipie and they are lovely.

I would reccomend adding a little extra cheese - i'm a cheese monster!! Also as I had no mustard powder, I used Cayenne pepper to give it that extra kick.

Also I doubled up on the ingredients so that i could deliver some to my friends mum who kindly gave us their old oven (mine broke about 18months ago) and also take some to my mum's for after lunch!

Just cooking some raspberry and white choc muffins now!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 16th Apr 06, 3:18 PM
    • 11,235 Posts
    • 49,086 Thanks
    Prudent
    • 16th Apr 06, 3:18 PM
    • 16th Apr 06, 3:18 PM
    I use the same recipe as Noozan. When I was without an oven for over a year the things I missed were roasts, roast potatoes, homemade cakes and cheese scones. the first batch tasted the best as I hadn't had any in so long.
  • KathrynPenguin
    • 16th Apr 06, 3:40 PM
    • 16th Apr 06, 3:40 PM
    I had half an onion finely chopped to my cheese scones and this makes them extra yummy!
  • Loadsabob
    • 25th Apr 06, 11:59 AM
    • 25th Apr 06, 11:59 AM
    Oh darn, I should have come here before I made cheese scones last night. Mine didn't rise!!! (or they did, a paltry amount!)

I twisted the cutter, thinking that would help release the scone from the dough around it. Doh!!!!!!!!

I will be forced to make another batch without twisting.

I used Mary Berry's recipe for a cheese scone round, but made individual ones - she says the dough should be 1cm thick for scones, before baking. Sounds to me from this thread as though they should start a little thicker than that - any thoughts?

(recipe included 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper!! They certainly have kick! If not height).
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 27th Jun 06, 1:58 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 7,289 Thanks
    elisebutt65
    Cheese Scones
    OK - I've flicked throught the indexed thread of recipes and can't seem to find a recipe for cheese scones.

I am pretty crap rubbish at baking. But my Bf keeps reminiscing about how his mum makes the best ever and they are his comfort food - hmmmm.

Anyway - I thought I'd have a quick go at them if they're easy enough - think I have all the necessary ingredients - flour, butter, milk, cheese and baking soda or bicarb???? Is that it? Just don't know about quantities and baking times/temps.

TIA
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Jun 06, 2:12 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi elisebutt65,

As we have another thread on cheese scones, I have merged yours with it as it helps other Old Style readers to find all the recipes in one thread. As always posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
    • Floss
    • By Floss 27th Jun 06, 2:46 PM
    • 4,902 Posts
    • 45,688 Thanks
    Floss
    I always use the Be-Ro recipe, I have my grandma's copy from donkey's years ago and they have always been the scrummiets!

I don't use a cutter though, just roll the dough out then cut into strips about 2" wide, then into square-ish lumps and then they rise fine.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Wholewheat Cheese crusted scones
    Wholewheat Cheese crusted scones this is the same recipe as in the Delia Smith cookery course. Makes excellent scones together with the extra benefits health benefits of using wholegrain flour.
    • mrsmortenharket
    • By mrsmortenharket 10th Oct 06, 5:27 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 20,893 Thanks
    mrsmortenharket
    savoury/cheese scone recipe please
    I have searched & searched & cannot find one.

I want to make preferably cheese scones, although plain savoury will do.

Anyone got a recipe.

I have the usual ingredients. Do not have buttermilk a la Delia!

Thank you!

Lisa x
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 10th Oct 06, 5:33 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Lisa,

These older threads have a few recipes that might help you:

HM Cheese scones

Savoury scone dough recipe needed please!

Pink
    • mrsmortenharket
    • By mrsmortenharket 10th Oct 06, 5:34 PM
    • 2,097 Posts
    • 20,893 Thanks
    mrsmortenharket
    *snigortle*

I just knew you'd be along to save me!!!!!!

Lisa x
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 10th Oct 06, 5:35 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Scones without fancy ingredients
    Makes 16
    Oven 220c

Sift together
    1 lb self raising flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder

Rub in
    4 oz butter

Add

4oz grated cheese

Stir in gradually (don't add it all at once !)

1/2 pint of milk - you probably won't need all of it which is why you need to add it gradually you can use half milk and half yogurt.

When you have a soft dough that isn't too sticky roll it out about 1 inch thick. Cut into 2 1/2 inch rounds.Brush with milk if you like.

Bake on lined trays for 10-12 mins

Eat immediately
    • flourgirl
    • By flourgirl 10th Oct 06, 5:36 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 44,884 Thanks
    flourgirl
    Cheese Scone Recipie
    Try this one, I made them last week they were lovely http://www.be-ro.com/f_insp.htm
  • growingafamily
    Cheese scones - please help
    I have signed up to make some cheese scones for Church on Sunday
    I have never made any type of scone before but have found a suitable sounding recipe in my bero book (thanks to my mum).
    What I want to know is can I cook them in advance and freeze them ?? If so how would I go about doing so ?? They need to seem nice and freshly made on Sunday - or would it be best to do them the night before ??

Any other tips and hints greatfully received
  • Bambam
    Scones freeze and defrost really well. I usually do some for the freezer because they are relatively quick and easy to make. Could someone please let me know if you can freeze the scones uncooked as well?

Can I please pass on a tip i read about sometime ago? When using your round scone cutter don't twist as you press down. The twisting causes the scone to rise unevenly.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,411Posts Today

5,716Users online

Martin's Twitter