OTELO complaint

Options
Hi guys, internet reliability/disatisfaction seems to be a MAJOR issue as seen from some of your expressive and exhaustive words of wisdom I have noticed.

I too have had my own issues with 3 Mobile Broadband (no surprise eh!) - so much so I'm actually in the process of dealing with OTELO - the telecommunications ombudsmen and they are currently investigating my complaint as we speak. Should hopefully have a resolution within 4 weeks.

What I am wondering is if anyone has gone this far before regarding broadband complaints and what their results were?

I am curious as I am dying to get out of a 18 month contract with 3 - they are the pits!!

Lesson learned: Never going to go for price over quality AGAIN!

Comments

• ste_coxy
    ste_coxy Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just goes to show a bit of complaining can go a long way. Here is the email I received from the case officer at OTELO:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm that we appear to have received all of your information.

3 has contacted me with a view to resolving your complaint for you as soon as possible and it has proposed to:

Cancel the contract without penalty;
    Send a prepaid envelope to allow you to return the Huawei £169G Modem;
    Part refund of line rental of £50, as there has been usage on all monthly bills apart from your initial bill;
    Arrange a refund of call charges to 3 on receipt of a telephone bill with the calls itemised; and;
    A letter of apology for any shortfalls in customer service

I do hope that this resolves your complaint and I would appreciate it if you could let me know at your earliest convenience.

I look forward to your response.

Regards

How good is this - finally free from 3!! (no pun intended!!) - I pushed them further and I'm actually getting £75 refund.

So my advice is - do NOT take no for an answer with your crappy broadband providers and if things are only getting worse and you feel like your stuck. Take it as high as you can, wait 3 months and then get OTELO involved. As proved from above, they DO and CAN help.
  • satori
    satori Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I'm glad it worked for you!
    I moved house over 1 month ago and BT still haven't been able to reconnect my phone line, I have complained in writing to them twice, and I'm thinking of closing my account with them and going to Otelo.
    I had a first appointment with them on 30/06/2009, at a wrong address (the postcode wasn't listed), it took me four phone calls (totalling 3 hours) to get this appointment cancelled and get a new one at the correct address.
    This second appointment (13/07/2009) was cancelled by the engineer: he called me to tell me that the Sales people had sent him to the wrong address, even though I had received 3 letters at my correct address.
    I obtained a new appointment (22/07/2009), and the engineer called again to tell me he had been sent at the wrong address, even though I had had another letter confirming the appointment!
    I haven't been able to book a fourth appointment as I was going abroad for a week (not on holidays).
    I have been with BT since February 2008 and have had nothing but problems.
    I am thinking of taking a pay monthly phone and a dongle for the internet access.
    My internet access is through AOL, but even though I can't use it without a phone line, I have to pay for the connection until September 2009, and since the end of June I have been using the free internet at the library at the weekend!
    I am ever so angry with BT.
  • ste_coxy
    ste_coxy Posts: 426 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your situation with BT. That is a nightmare - doesn't sound like AOL have been much use or help either!

I would definitely push BT for a resolution - ask to speak to their top complaints department and if you do not get anywhere then definitely go to OTELO - they are independent and impartial and as you have seen above, have really helped me greatly.

From experience I would not recommend having mobile broadband - certainly not with 3! it is very limited and is prone 2 disruption.

I am in the process of ordering a phone line - not sure if 2 go with the post office or BT however, I am sticking with ADSL broadband this time around - look at 02 broadband or Be There broadband - only ever heard great things about the two of them.

All the best - hope things work out for you!
  • BT_company_representative
    BT_company_representative Posts: 1,861 Organisation Representative
    Options
    satori.. I'll be happy to look into the delay in connecting your telephone service for you. Can I ask you to PM me some details such as your account number and new address? Connection is always subject to survey but there may be something I can do to help.

BTSupport_Paula
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of BT. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure