Nationwide credit card - complaints

Options
jem16
jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
Has anyone got an address, phone number or even email of someone high up in Nationwide Credit card services that I can complain to?

They don't seem to have a clue about section 75 and obtaining a refund when the supplier has gone bust!

Comments

• normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options
    NCCS
    PO BOX 8783
    Wigston
    LE18 9BG

What was the section 75 issue? How much was it for? Which retailer was it? (Useful info for anyone else who could be dealing with that retailer!)
  • jem16
    Options
    normanmark wrote: »
    NCCS
    PO BOX 8783
    Wigston
    LE18 9BG

That's the address we have been using and so far they keep asking for more and more proof. There must be a complaints department somewhere.
    What was the section 75 issue?

A wedding dress was bought and shop has closed down. First of all they said they could do a chargeback but not till after the date of the wedding in May 2010 unless we could provide proof of closure. We have sent three newspaper reports and one news report from Trading Standards telling people to claim under section 75.

Now they want us to send a written statement from the wedding dress manufacturer to say that the shop has not paid them.

We are getting fed up of this. We have paid in full for goods which have not been delivered and will never be delivered nor a refund given.

We have told the cc company that we are making a claim under section 75.

How much was it for?

£960.
    Which retailer was it? (Useful info for anyone else who could be dealing with that retailer!)

Capri Skies. They have closed for business and the owner likely to be made bankrupt as she is a sole trader.
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    i tried to complain with them and they said they didn't have a complaints department. i was disgusted as this was a blatant lie and slammed the phone down!!
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    Now they want us to send a written statement from the wedding dress manufacturer to say that the shop has not paid them.

Your "contract" is with the retailer. You paid the retailer. You have not received the goods from the retailer.

Any other parties are irrelevant. You need to send a letter stating that you need a final decision from them to allow you to take it further with the ombudsman if they are still refusing to pay under Section 75.

Add compensation for your costs and time to date, plus interest at 8%, and state that is the amount that you now require. Ask for more and you might increase the chance of getting your £ 960, you've given them enough evidence that the retailer has ceased to trade.
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    CannyJock wrote: »
    Your "contract" is with the retailer. You paid the retailer. You have not received the goods from the retailer.

Any other parties are irrelevant. You need to send a letter stating that you need a final decision from them to allow you to take it further with the ombudsman if they are still refusing to pay under Section 75.

Add compensation for your costs and time to date, plus interest at 8%, and state that is the amount that you now require. Ask for more and you might increase the chance of getting your £ 960, you've given them enough evidence that the retailer has ceased to trade.

Good post by CannyJock. My opinion is you don't have to wait for non-delivery to establish the breach of contract. Law recognises "Anticipatory Breach" through conduct or implication. Ie a supplier can be in breach before the time they were required to perform the contract. Fair enough that NW might want to establish the status of their merchant - but in the end, they are jointly liable with the supplier (their merchant) for performance. If there's a whiff of NW intending not to pay out or "going around", then they are breaching too (same principle) - and I'd be tempted to issue them with a writ (or threaten to do so). It's really not for you to prove to NW that their merchant is not peforming - they have a joint liability to peform FULL STOP. ie it's not just a "backup" system, though practically that's how it may be regarded.
  • jem16
    Options
    CannyJock wrote: »

Nationwide's take on this is that some dresses were retrieved from the store and distributed. Ours was not one of them and the manufacturer confirmed that the dress was in their warehouse and that they have now sent it to another dress store in the area. We have to pay £895 to get the dress.

Does all this matter to us?
  • 97trophy
    97trophy Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    If you have already paid the £960 - I would suggest you start a small claims court proceedings against the Nationwide. They will soon buckle.
  • Rufus_348
    Rufus_348 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried this address? It should be for complaints not dealt with adequately by senior managers.

Member Service
    Nationwide Building Society
    Kings Park Road
    Moulton Park
    Northampton
    NN3 6NW

I've been with Nationwide for many years and they do seem to have problems training their staff - I just generally keep going in and talking to different people until I get the answer I want! Good luck - the law is completely on your side.
  • jem16
    Options
    97trophy wrote: »
    If you have already paid the £960 - I would suggest you start a small claims court proceedings against the Nationwide. They will soon buckle.

Does it matter if we are in Scotland and Nationwide in England - it's a different court system.
  • T_Jones_2
    T_Jones_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Nationwide are a crap organisation - they have avoidance down to a fine art

If you ever think Nationwide - forget it if you want an easy life
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts