Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 11th May 09, 12:14 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you give up a 50 train seat for a pregnant woman?
    • 11th May 09, 12:14 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you give up a 50 train seat for a pregnant woman? 11th May 09 at 12:14 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you give up a 50 train seat for a pregnant woman?

You book an advance seat on a five-hour train journey. It’s a Bank Holiday weekend, and there’s standing room only for non-reserved passengers, including a heavily pregnant woman. Normally you'd be up in a flash, but are loathe to give up your seat, as you paid 50 for it and booked early, knowing it would be crowded.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 12-05-2009 at 8:04 PM.
Page 1
  • Saucepot
    • 12th May 09, 4:08 PM
    • 12th May 09, 4:08 PM
    I'd be in 1st class. I wouldn't notice.
  • Pssst
    • 12th May 09, 4:45 PM
    • 12th May 09, 4:45 PM
    No i wouldnt.
    If the woman was up the duff,she should have had the sense to book online,so securing a seat and a seat allocation number. Incidentally,are these enforceable? I mean,if you bought your ticket on line and found someone in your seat who refused to move,what success or otherwise might you have in securing a member of staff to persuade him/her to move?
  • jinky67
    • 12th May 09, 4:48 PM
    • 12th May 09, 4:48 PM
    Yes I would....only if I could be sure of getting my seat back when she got off
    Once a Flylady, always a Flylady
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 12th May 09, 4:50 PM
    • 22,973 Posts
    • 57,594 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 12th May 09, 4:50 PM
    • 12th May 09, 4:50 PM
    As a (not yet heavily but still) pregnant woman, I'd like to thank anyone who would give up their seat ... However I would have made sure that I booked a seat for the journey for myself anyway, so hopefully the dilemma will not arise.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 12th May 09, 5:45 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 12th May 09, 5:45 PM
    • 12th May 09, 5:45 PM
    Certainly not.

I wouldn't want to be regarded as sexist and politically incorrect by showing favour.

Besides, we taxpayers are subsidising her pregnancy with state handouts, I'm not giving up a seat as well.
    • tripled
    • By tripled 12th May 09, 9:37 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 1,118 Thanks
    tripled
    • 12th May 09, 9:37 PM
    • 12th May 09, 9:37 PM
    It would depend how charitable I was feeling, however if I was in a reserved seat probably not. If I was in a non-reserved seat I probably would.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 12th May 09, 9:42 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,128 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 12th May 09, 9:42 PM
    • 12th May 09, 9:42 PM
    ...,if you bought your ticket on line and found someone in your seat who refused to move,what success or otherwise might you have in securing a member of staff to persuade him/her to move?
    Originally posted by Pssst
    In my experience, the chance of finding a member of staff on a busy bank holiday (other than the buffet attendant) = zero. You hear them making announcements, but can't find them.

Re the pregnant passenger, it's a 10 supplement to travel in first class on Saturdays & Sundays.
    Being disabled but not qualifying for a disabled railcard, that's where I now travel after nasty experiences with supposedly 'booked' seats & pig-selfish passengers.
    • skylight
    • By skylight 12th May 09, 9:43 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 12th May 09, 9:43 PM
    • 12th May 09, 9:43 PM
    Yes.

And for a old person or a visibly disabled one (cos I wouldn't know if a non-visibly disabled person got on the train!)

And I have been knocked on my feet on a bus when heavily pregnant. Not one passenger got up to help me. But I would always help someone else (and do).
    • A.Jones
    • By A.Jones 12th May 09, 10:27 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    A.Jones
    No, she should have booked a seat in advance for herself. I would not stand for five hours for her comfort. She would have saved some money too, which she will need soon if she is heavily pregnant.
  • enor
    I would definitely. Just in case the person next to me offered theirs instead and she went into labour!
  • KateHunter
    Yes I would. I think I would feel more uncomfortable watching someone who was heavily pregnant stand, than standing up myself. I dont really think it is an issue of money more of manners.
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 12th May 09, 10:31 PM
    • 12,647 Posts
    • 26,389 Thanks
    robpw2
    No you have paid for your seat she knows she is pregnant she knows to get a seat you have too book !

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • PeteW
    • By PeteW 12th May 09, 10:34 PM
    • 1,169 Posts
    • 1,808 Thanks
    PeteW
    Of course I would, and I'm disgusted that so many people wouldn't, clearly you've never seen how exhausting pregnancy can be - a friend of mine was still commuting when she was heavily pregnant and passed out on a regular basis as tossers on the tube wouldn't give up their seats.

Crowded trains are dangerous places for pregnant women - a friend of my wife lost her baby at 35 weeks when a busy commuter elbowed her bump trying to rush past her. If people had given up their seat that baby would be alive.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam1; 13-05-2009 at 11:54 PM.
    • Lesley Young
    • By Lesley Young 12th May 09, 10:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Lesley Young
    Yes I would. Humanity is more important than money and some inconvenience. You never know the full circumstances that led to the need to travel.
  • nickinoo
    As a fairly heavily pregnant woman (who doesn't rely on state handouts I might add!) I wouldn't expect someone to give up their seat for me although I wouldn't be offended if I was offered it.

I don't know what I'd do if I was the person with the seat, a 5 hour journey standing would do my back in even when not pregnant.

At the end of the day we all have the chance to pre-book our seats.
    • mrcow
    • By mrcow 12th May 09, 10:42 PM
    • 14,427 Posts
    • 30,435 Thanks
    mrcow
    Of course I would.

I'm a human being. Not an inconsiderate oaf!
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • crunchy_with_ketchup
    It's amazing how many people have apparently never had to travel on a train at short notice and hence not been able to book.... A bit of humanity folks please! Presumably some posters would be equally dismissive of someone who's clearly in serious pain from standing up - what, you didn't think to book? Well the suffering is all your own fault.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
  • Janson
    Incidentally,are these enforceable? I mean,if you bought your ticket on line and found someone in your seat who refused to move,what success or otherwise might you have in securing a member of staff to persuade him/her to move?
    Originally posted by Pssst
    I have found myself in this position. Got on the train, absolutely jam packed, people stood all the way down the carriage, it was clear my seat was taken. I got out of the carriage legged it to the first class carriage and sat in an unreserved seat. When the guard (sorry Revenue Protection Officer) asked for my ticket, I explained that as the train was full to capacity and the train company couldn't keep their side of the contract I was sitting in the next best available alternative. He shrugged his shoulders and clipped the ticket.

And yes I would give up my seat.
  • ecp98rjs
    I think I'd ask if she would like to sit down for 'a few minutes' and allow her to offer it back to me after a rest.

But I do agree with other posters that given she knew she was pregnant if she wanted a seat then she could have booked one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,051Posts Today

9,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin