GR Solicitors - warning

Options
Mum_of_3_3
Mum_of_3_3 Posts: 658 Forumite
Hi there!

Recently I received a letter from GR Solicitors in Manchester saying that my details have been passed to them by a company I want to reclaim charges from!

Now as I've never had a credit card & always declined PPI when taking a loan, I know that they are trying to fish for info and hoping that I am reclaiming & will therefore call them to follow it up.

Althougth the letter looks really legit, I thought it was fishy due to the fact they've included a from for me to fill out with my name, address & credit card details I mean shouldn't they have that if they were contacted by the credit company anyway? :confused:

I just wanted to warn anyone on this board who may be trying to reclaim from a company that just because you've received a letter from G R Solicitors, it doesn't mean they have been contacted by the credit card company/bank you're reclaiming from. They are just looking for people to fall into the trap so that they can get their hands on 19%+VAT of your reclaim figure :eek:

In my opinion it all looks a bit to dodgy to me :confused:

M_o_3

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    this is a bit underhand. Personally i woul send the whole lot to trading standards with a covering letter.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • earplugs
    earplugs Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    I've just checked GR Solicitors on the Law Society website and they are a 2 Solicitor firm who deal with civil litigation, personal injury etc. One partner has been qualified since 1999 and the other since 2005.

Perhaps a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office might be in order http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public.aspx as your sensitive details have been passed between companies without your authority?

Good luck!
  • Mum_of_3_3
    Mum_of_3_3 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies :j

I'm glad I'm not reclaiming any charges or else I might have fallen for it, it looked so real iykwim.

I'm going to follow this up as I'm worried that some people may think they are working hand in hand with credit card companies.

Like I said many thanks for the links

M_o_3
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Seems a bit suss that the company who they say you are claiming charges give your details to a solicitor who will be acting against them to help you. :confused: they are lying through their teeth and they think youre an idiot - go for it.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • oscar52
    oscar52 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Options
    G R solicitors are legit - have dealt with them (I work for MBNA)

They act on behlaf of a number of claims companies - conkers I believe is one.

Cant advise why they have your details though, but definately would not be from the CC company itself. (or shouldnt be anyway)
    No Longer works for MBNA as of August 2010 - redundancy money will be nice though.

Proud to be a Friend of Niddy.
    no idea what my nerdnumber is - i am now officially nerd 229, no idea on my debt free date
  • davidg1a
    davidg1a Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 July 2009 at 12:56AM
    Options
    Spotted this post about GR Solicitors. Late,I know. Just to warn people that they are underhand in more ways than one. If you are a supplier to them,they do not pay the monies owed until a CCJ is issued against them and then they get abusive and threatening (personal experience) I would also like to let people know that they do NOT keep client details safely folders are left lying around for people to see.
  • MR_at_GR
    Options
    Dear Forum Readers,

I read with interest the comments made regarding GR Solicitors and thought it may be appropriate to provide a reply.

My name is Mike Regan and I am a partner in GR Solicitors and I hope to simply provide a response to the issues raised and a balanced view as to our work.

The initial issue raised covers the fact that a client received a letter from our firm and yet had not previously dealt with GR directly. As a legal practice we are required to adhere to the regulations laid out in the Solicitors Code of Conduct regarding client care and openness. On receiving contact details for a client we immediately write to introduce ourselves, confirm our service and request any documents that are required to pursue the case.

This is the letter that the author of the original post will have received.

GR Solicitors strongly believes that everybody affected by the addition of charges and insurances, to bank accounts, credit cards and loans, should have the opportunity to reclaim these sums. To ensure that this happens we are contacted by clients directly as well as through a wide range of introducers including claims management companies.
    It therefore seems that the issue raised may actually be with a claims management company or other data source rather than with GR directly.

I can confirm to all readers that we do not receive any contact details from lenders and that we have never engaged in cold calling activity to generate clients. We also work to ensure that all contacts that are passed to GR via third parties are done so in the full knowledge of the client. This is supported through our regular review of all introducers and through the communication of our complaints procedure to every client.

Within the same thread a further post has called into question the administrative systems and procedures that we utilise in the management of cases. GR Solicitors strongly refutes the accusation and would simple draw readers attention to the fact that over the past three years our work has enabled over 12,000 clients to recover sums in excess of £8,000,000 from lenders and that we currently manage over 6,000 clients through ongoing claims. If we did not use the same high standards in our practice as we do in our legal work this would surely not be possible.

I hope this reply helps to answer the issues raised and provides assurance to current and future clients as to the service and commitment of GR. Should any forum members have further questions please contact me directly and I will attend to them personally.

Yours Faithfully

Mike Regan
    Partner and Solicitor Advocate
    GR Solicitors

Mum_of_3 wrote: »
    Hi there!

Recently I received a letter from GR Solicitors in Manchester saying that my details have been passed to them by a company I want to reclaim charges from!

Now as I've never had a credit card & always declined PPI when taking a loan, I know that they are trying to fish for info and hoping that I am reclaiming & will therefore call them to follow it up.

Althougth the letter looks really legit, I thought it was fishy due to the fact they've included a from for me to fill out with my name, address & credit card details I mean shouldn't they have that if they were contacted by the credit company anyway? :confused:

I just wanted to warn anyone on this board who may be trying to reclaim from a company that just because you've received a letter from G R Solicitors, it doesn't mean they have been contacted by the credit card company/bank you're reclaiming from. They are just looking for people to fall into the trap so that they can get their hands on 19%+VAT of your reclaim figure :eek:

In my opinion it all looks a bit to dodgy to me :confused:

M_o_3
  • loubyrock
    Options
    MR_at_GR wrote: »
    Dear Forum Readers,

I read with interest the comments made regarding GR Solicitors and thought it may be appropriate to provide a reply.

My name is Mike Regan and I am a partner in GR Solicitors and I hope to simply provide a response to the issues raised and a balanced view as to our work.

The initial issue raised covers the fact that a client received a letter from our firm and yet had not previously dealt with GR directly. As a legal practice we are required to adhere to the regulations laid out in the Solicitors Code of Conduct regarding client care and openness. On receiving contact details for a client we immediately write to introduce ourselves, confirm our service and request any documents that are required to pursue the case.

This is the letter that the author of the original post will have received.

GR Solicitors strongly believes that everybody affected by the addition of charges and insurances, to bank accounts, credit cards and loans, should have the opportunity to reclaim these sums. To ensure that this happens we are contacted by clients directly as well as through a wide range of introducers including claims management companies.
    It therefore seems that the issue raised may actually be with a claims management company or other data source rather than with GR directly.

I can confirm to all readers that we do not receive any contact details from lenders and that we have never engaged in cold calling activity to generate clients. We also work to ensure that all contacts that are passed to GR via third parties are done so in the full knowledge of the client. This is supported through our regular review of all introducers and through the communication of our complaints procedure to every client.

Within the same thread a further post has called into question the administrative systems and procedures that we utilise in the management of cases. GR Solicitors strongly refutes the accusation and would simple draw readers attention to the fact that over the past three years our work has enabled over 12,000 clients to recover sums in excess of £8,000,000 from lenders and that we currently manage over 6,000 clients through ongoing claims. If we did not use the same high standards in our practice as we do in our legal work this would surely not be possible.

I hope this reply helps to answer the issues raised and provides assurance to current and future clients as to the service and commitment of GR. Should any forum members have further questions please contact me directly and I will attend to them personally.

Yours Faithfully

Mike Regan
    Partner and Solicitor Advocate
    GR Solicitors

I agree with everything everyone has said apart from Mr Mike Regan, I am one of the silly ones who actually decided to have a go and claim money back through Gr Solicitors, I put all my cards onto a debt management plan as I run into financial difficulties when my husband lost his job, the solicitors have won back charges from Barclaycard for me and the charges went straight back onto my account, now unfortunately I do not have access to funds on this account and Gr solicitors sent a bill for their cut which was 53 pounds, which obviously I had to take from my own bank account.
    Now the problems started when I received a letter from them someone had wrote on top 2nd request, which was a complete fabrication as I have not received any mail from them the next thing I know they sent the bill to a debt recovery agency saying I owed more than double than the initial 53 pounds, they are complete sharks, I cannot afford to pay this everything we earn goes on trying to keep a roof over our head, the debt recovery people have threatened court and people coming round to the house, I have paid the 53 pounds but I am refusing to pay anymore. It is terrifying I am pregnaant and got 2 year old twins I can do without all this stress :cry:
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    loubyrock wrote: »
    I agree with everything everyone has said apart from Mr Mike Regan, I am one of the silly ones who actually decided to have a go and claim money back through Gr Solicitors, I put all my cards onto a debt management plan as I run into financial difficulties when my husband lost his job, the solicitors have won back charges from Barclaycard for me and the charges went straight back onto my account, now unfortunately I do not have access to funds on this account and Gr solicitors sent a bill for their cut which was 53 pounds, which obviously I had to take from my own bank account.
    Now the problems started when I received a letter from them someone had wrote on top 2nd request, which was a complete fabrication as I have not received any mail from them the next thing I know they sent the bill to a debt recovery agency saying I owed more than double than the initial 53 pounds, they are complete sharks, I cannot afford to pay this everything we earn goes on trying to keep a roof over our head, the debt recovery people have threatened court and people coming round to the house, I have paid the 53 pounds but I am refusing to pay anymore. It is terrifying I am pregnaant and got 2 year old twins I can do without all this stress :cry:

So they got the money back for you and now you are complaining about having to pay them the fee you agreed to?
    What is the problem?
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ILW wrote: »
    So they got the money back for you and now you are complaining about having to pay them the fee you agreed to?
    What is the problem?

She's not saying she agreed to the second fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure