Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kjn1000
    • By kjn1000 14th Feb 09, 4:08 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 8Thanks
    kjn1000
    help with new household??
    • 14th Feb 09, 4:08 PM
    help with new household?? 14th Feb 09 at 4:08 PM
    Hi

Im new to money saving expert and am amazed at how well you guys seem so organised.

Im 20 years old an recently got engaged and moved in with my partner and have no idea where to start with running a household.

Was hopin for some pointers as its seeming fairly expensive at the mo.

Many Thanks
    a very confused katie :confused:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 17-02-2009 at 6:18 PM.
Page 1
  • Hardup Hester
    • 14th Feb 09, 4:35 PM
    • 14th Feb 09, 4:35 PM
    Hi Katie, I'm not organised though a lot of people on here are, for hint on cleaning, try the flylady thread & for moneysaving recipes, chech out MBAZ's thread on feeding a family of 4 for a month on 20.
    Good Luck
    Hugs Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
    • Patchwork Quilt
    • By Patchwork Quilt 14th Feb 09, 4:42 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 11,056 Thanks
    Patchwork Quilt
    • 14th Feb 09, 4:42 PM
    • 14th Feb 09, 4:42 PM
    Hi Katie

Have a routine - different household jobs on certain days. Have a meal plan menu. Keep all receipts and know what you spend money on. Keep reading MSE for new ideas. Above all, make sure you're in agreement about it. It's about working it out together.

Good luck
    • kjn1000
    • By kjn1000 14th Feb 09, 4:45 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    kjn1000
    • 14th Feb 09, 4:45 PM
    • 14th Feb 09, 4:45 PM
    just had a look at the flylady thread an its got a lot of really useful stuff on there....

Thanks hester
    kt
    • Blairweech
    • By Blairweech 14th Feb 09, 11:57 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 16,273 Thanks
    Blairweech
    • 14th Feb 09, 11:57 PM
    • 14th Feb 09, 11:57 PM
    Hi Katie

You are in exactly the same positionI was in 2 years ago, so here are my ideas

1. Have a chat with your partner now about finances - what goals you want to achieve in 5 years time, what things you wont cut back on etc. I know it is not a pleasant task, but it is important that you are singing from the same hymnsheet from the start. If you are busting a gut to save money then he is going out and spending it all at the pub, it kinda defeats the object.

2. Make a budget. As posted before, keep a spending diary for 3 months, know EXACTLY which penny went where etc (you will be truly amazed). From this, you can make a budget.

3. Start slowly - you cannot be a domestic goddess overnight. Just work on one thing at a time - e.g. better cooking OR better household organisation. If you try and do too much at once, you will fail and get disheartened. It will come, and it takes time.

Specifically in regards to cooking...

- Learn to cook (if you can't already). Grab a student cookbook and master some simple recipes (chilli is always good)

- Meal plan/shopping list. Just write down what meals you want to eat for the next 7 days, including breakfast and lunch. Then make a shopping list based on this plan and only buy what is on your list.

And lastly...

HAVE FUN. Fending for yourself is great, and learning how you want to run your household is specific to you - don't feel you have to do something just because everyone else is doing it. It should always be fun and never a chore.

Stick around here and you will not go far wrong! Good luck
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • Hawthorn
    • 15th Feb 09, 12:02 AM
    • 15th Feb 09, 12:02 AM
    Oh congratulations I remember those days well.

Prime tip for you - heat the oil up before putting the chips in, otherwise it turns into a giant soggy mess. I learned this the hard way, as a new independent householder myself LOL.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts

Don't throw away food challenge started 30/10/11 4.45 wasted.

Storecard balance - 786.60 708
    • kjn1000
    • By kjn1000 15th Feb 09, 7:02 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    kjn1000
    • 15th Feb 09, 7:02 PM
    • 15th Feb 09, 7:02 PM
    Thanks v much blairweech it would be v interesting him spending his money in the pub as he works there!! lol yes i no i wont be a domestic goddess overnight but it all just seems to be building up..... that and the decorating and havin a new job....... Thanks for the tip hawthorn but i dont have a fryer yet oh how i now no how my mum felt.. lol
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 15th Feb 09, 7:05 PM
    • 36,236 Posts
    • 46,692 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 15th Feb 09, 7:05 PM
    • 15th Feb 09, 7:05 PM
    Just make sure that he does his share of the household running
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Buddingblonde
    • 15th Feb 09, 7:59 PM
    • 15th Feb 09, 7:59 PM
    Just make sure that he does his share of the household running
    Originally posted by anniehanlon
    Without wanting to be un pc I have to agree. When I first set up home with OH I was very keen to play the little housewife and now I wish I hadnt - although OH is now doing more (due to a rather big talk and me deciding that I wasnt his mother). We each now have our jobs - I cook, he washes up, I clean round, he does the bins, I wash the clothes, he hangs them up to dry and puts them away.

Ax
  • Jasper27
    I agree you must not become a mother substitute, it only ends up breeding resentment and damaging your relationship, so start as you mean to go on. Like buddingblonde we each have our own jobs based on ability and preferences. I cook, he does dishes, I clean kitchen and bathroom, he dusts and hoovers etc. Obviously you've got to have some flexibility so use common sense. Like you I was only young when I moved in with OH and neither of us had lived away from home before, it does take a while to find your feet. We quickly found what works for us and stick to it, we never argue about housework stuff after nearly 20 years together. It's great to have your own home and if you hit any problems someone here on the OS board will have the answer.
  • Mellika
    Hi Katie, you're in the same position I was in a couple of years ago. New country for me as well.

It can be so daunting, where to start?! Just make sure not to panic.

The first thing I would recommend you do, is sit down together and work out a budget. I've been managing my own money since I was 15. Where I come from, debt is relatively uncommon. One of the tips my mum gave me was this: work out a budget, then use different envelopes to divide the money for different things. For example: Rent + C.Tax, Bills, Food, etc. What I used to do was divide it into weeks since I had no bills to pay. So I would divide everything by 4.5 (four weeks plus a half week for those extra couple of days).

I know it sounds complicated, but it really helps you stay within budget!

After that, make sure you menu plan and watch your spending on luxury items, as well as going out, new clothes, etc.

You will soon find your own style

HTH
    Meli xx

Edited to add: Get a slow cooker!!! It will save you valuable time which you can then use to a. catch up on housework, b. panic about life, or c. relax!
    Last edited by Mellika; 16-02-2009 at 3:45 PM.
    GC March Wk1 28.72/30 Wk2 28.4/29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1)
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
  • sandygirl
    The first thing I would recommend you do, is sit down together and work out a budget. I've been managing my own money since I was 15. Where I come from, debt is relatively uncommon. One of the tips my mum gave me was this: work out a budget, then use different envelopes to divide the money for different things. For example: Rent + C.Tax, Bills, Food, etc. What I used to do was divide it into weeks since I had no bills to pay. So I would divide everything by 4.5 (four weeks plus a half week for those extra couple of days).

I do the same thing, but instead of saving in envelopes, which could be a temptation to dip into, I have a separate bank account for bills, keeping a budget diary of what is in each section - gas, electric, car insurance, etc. As I put by 750 each month this mounts up some months, and so earns interest. Also, if I have a hefty bill for, say, car insurance, and I haven't saved enough, I can 'borrow' from the balance, readjust what I save for car insurance from then on, and don't have to worry about finding the extra money.

Hope this makes sense - it does to me, and more importantly it works.
  • dealwithdebtdot
    Oh, how exciting and scary all at once. I'd echo much of what has been said already.

Hard to know how much your utility bills will be at the moment, so over budget for the moment, or ask people with a similar size home....but still overbudget!

i think it will be important to work out if you are pooling your money, or each of you being responsible for differnt bills/expeneses.

Work out a really good budget to see how much money you have left over for things you both want in the future, and start saving now. I know interest rates are rubbish, but i still think it is worth it.

Turn out lights etc!

Meal plan, meal plan, meal plan.

When you are sorting out your cleaning rota...try and include thorough going overs as well as general keeping it going sort of cleaning!

Buy good pans, cheap ones are often false economy!

get an airer for drying clothes in wet weather.

If you shop at tesco, apply for a tesco credit card jointly and see the points mount up...use them for deals not shopping. Don't forget you can get loads of stuff you might go to argos for at tesco online. but pay it off every month!!!

It is really important to build in time for you as a couple amongst all the homemaking, and you both as individuals!
    Pay off as much as you can in 2012 challenge No. 64: 328.75/2,500
  • miss saveapenny
    hello, yes I remember it well

get yourself a day per yiew diary and write down what your having for tea that day and so you know what to get out the freezer the day before,also in the diary list the jobs you want to achieve for the day(don't be too hard on yourself otherwise you won't keep it up) cross them off as you do them.
    Once aweek go through your freezer and list what you have in go then slot them into days and at the same time you will know what shopping you need.
    If you know you have a really busy day make that a beans/poached egg on toast day. Batch cooking is also a good one if you are making a spag bol, chilli or stew do enough for 2/3 meals. freeze the others and that will give you an easy tea another day.
    Always write a list before you go shopping and never go shopping hungry. Also you can always use another diary for money that you spend.
    Work out you bills roughly times into a yearly amount then divide give into a weekly or monthly amount depending on how you get paid , put this into another account and use this account for bills only!
    sorry if I have gone on, enjoy getting your home together, it is exciting
  • miss saveapenny
    sorry, I forgot definatley get a slow cooker as Mellika says, and prepare tea in a morning otherwise you will be tempted to buy take aways and convenience foods, good luck
    • clouds21
    • By clouds21 18th Feb 09, 7:21 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    clouds21
    I'll try again!
    I don't know why I keep getting kicked out when I'm logged on! Here's my second attempt:

Anyway, Katie, congratulations on your big and bold step! Here are a couple of tips which may sound weird but reduce the number of pointless arguments :

-agree to leave the toilet seat & lid DOWN after use !
    - as already mentioned: split chores or have a rota

- have your dinner at the table a few times a week not always in front of the telly
    - if something annoys you address it straight away, diplomatically, don't let it fester; the number of stupid blow-ups I had with my ex which he did not understand!!!
    - do stuff together like cooking, gardening or stuff around the house but make sure you have a couple of nights where you do your hobby or meet your mates
    - apart from each putting a set amount for house stuff in the joint account keep your own accounts

- and when you're rich get a cleaner and a dishwasher!!!!

I learnt the hard way and finally have a second chance with someone else and I've made the above my golden rules.

For starters with furniture and appliances when you have no cash: use your local freecycle. Then you can save up for that fabulous sofa or kitchen table!

Enjoy and I hope you have happy, fun and interesting times.

clouds21
  • champys
    kjn1000 - cheers to you and full marks for actually considering these things before you start (and even more for asking advice!). I really admire you.

How many of us just jumped in and winged it at your age - I certainly did, and only started to sort things out closer to the age of 50...... fortunately it is never too late to learn, but you are well ahead of the game so you will be cruising effortlessly in a few years time! Wishing you all sorts of good luck.

Ch.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • archie9uk
    Well done for coming here for advice. You have had lots of great tips already, and I'm sure you'll pick up more from having a look round the forums yourself. Here are a few tips from me:
    - buy in bulk
    - don't shy away from "value" products
    - use your freezer as much as you can - cook in bulk and freeze, but also buy fresh things that have been reduced because they have reached their sell-by date, and freeze them
    - keep a close eye on what's in your fridge - don't let things go off and get thrown away
    • EstherH
    • By EstherH 19th Feb 09, 1:24 AM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 10,268 Thanks
    EstherH
    [katie :confused:

Hi Katie,
    Well done on realising you need help. I am sure you will find loads on here. The Mbaz feeding a family for 20 has already been mentioned. From that I have made a general savoury mince meal in my slowcooker (definitely get one, the Morphy Richards 6.5ltrs is excellent and you can get a full chicken in - more about that later).
    Anyway, I make the mince in bulk with added handful or two of lentils and oats. Plenty of onion and carrots, mushrooms and peppers if I have them in. Add some boiling water and a couple of stock cubes.
    Once in the slowcooker it can be left to it's own devices.
    when you are ready to eat it you can devide into portions and freeze what you don't need for that night. I use takeaway cartons or tupperware. This basic mince can now be turned into bolognaise by adding tomatoes and some mixed herbs, chilli con carne with tomatoes and kidney beans. You can spice it up with worcestershire sauce and some peas and top with potatoes for cottage pie. Can also be baked pottoe filling or pie/cobbler filling.
    Out of 3 x 500gms I got seven meals for four of us. Six of which went straight in freezer ready for when times short. Hope this helps.

Also have a look at the rubber chicken thread.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

[/quote]
    • Arne
    • By Arne 19th Feb 09, 8:21 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Arne
    Have a discussion about budgets and gift buying for family birthdays and Chistmas. You can get stressed if one of you likes to have everything bought and wrapped well in advance and the other tends to shop on the day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,071Posts Today

6,674Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin