🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Personalised Number Plates

Options
bargepole
bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Here's a top money-saving tip for anyone thinking of getting a personalised number plate for their car: Instead of paying hundreds of pounds to a cherished number dealer, and £80 to the DVLA for the transfer, why not just change your name by deed poll to match the existing plate on the car - this only costs £33 all in.

This tip was passed on by my neighbour, Mr KL51AJN.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :T

Makes perfect sense
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    TVV 4 T is nice number plate I think. As this sums up the people who buy them...
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    Sad, insecure TVV 4 T s too!
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And they are normally dumb too. Once saw a guy pull up in a hotel car park in his car with very easily recognisable number shortly followed by a woman before departing in her car.

Who owns REP 1 or was it 1 REP?:rotfl:
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    or PR 4 T

I guess there are a few more good examples out there
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    The phrase more money than sense springs to mind. These people are all rather pathetic. I once saw a plate on a Jaguar at Brands Hatch, which sums them all up. The plate was PENI5. What a prat!
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • iNath
    iNath Posts: 382 Forumite
    Options
    We've got a local that drives round in a sports car, their reg is B2 GAY (True story!)
  • harveybobbles
    Options
    C11 EAT is on a silver Ferrari near me. Put a screw between the 11 to make it look like a H...
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gone are the days when 'Cherished Numbers', were for the elite. It's a simple & inexpensive way of personalizing your vehicle, as you'll find several Moneysavers have done.

Plus the plate can make the vehicle an extra advert for a business - the number of people commenting on my plate, (VAN580Y) for our commercial vehicle sales business, has always been 'free' publicity.

Also you might, just might, make a few £$£$ when you decided to sell.

VB
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Brilliant! I've just changed my surname to XHP. Not easy to pronounce, but what the hell.......... :D
    Genie
    Master Technician
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills