Tiscali Customer Services

Options
My mum is with Tiscali (I know - I've been telling her to ditch them)

Last year, my dad changed from dial up to broadband. For some reason they didn't cancel his £4.99 pcm dial up contract but kept debiting his credit card. Dad was very ill so didn't take notice and died a couple of months later. In November, my mum started geting letters about non-payment of bills etc. I transferred her bank details, online and spoke to CS, who confirmed they had her new details, transferred the account to her name and said that they would cancel the dial-up and credit her with the then 3 1/2 months of payments made.

However, this morning she has had yet ANOTHER letter, demanding payment, threatening all sorts and TBH - my mum can't cope with yet another onslaught from them. I need to speak to CS - but don't want to use an 0870 number. I can't find another number and the free-phone sales number is useless - they refuse to put you through.

She's checked her bank statements and she's paying them for the broadband, so we don't know what's going on. I haven't yet seen the letter - just been given a quick resume by my rather upset mother. I've advised her to get a MAC code when she does speak to them, but why should we/she pay 0870 rates for long calls that never reslove anything.

So, what I'm trying to get at (after having got the above out of my system :o) is, does anyone have a non 0870 number or any other way of contacting Customer Dis-Service at Tiscali?

Many thanks

TM

Comments

• SPARKLYBLUE_2
    Options
    Hello TM,
    First just want to say really sorry about your Dad, I know from personal experience how devastating this is,and this problem will not be helping your Mum, I was about to ask something of my own when I found your thread, I too had a prob with tiscali only this was my phone account,which I wasn't using and kept forgetting to cancel my quarterly bill, which I did, and still got the next bill and a letter saying the usual if you don't pay we will pass this on da di da. Spoke to a really nice tiscali person, and now all is sorted,I have a free phone number, but not got it with me, can put this on tonight for you, I expect you have tried 0870744966 and 08707442922,I still have fax send a test to 08440575000 as not sure how live it is.
    Just as a matter of interest, do you or any one logged on know the best way to have broadband, I have just got a lap top, and have been using tisacali dial up 1p min, I pay £20 to BT, but my internet was £63 for the quarter, so they have put my monthly payment up to £44! too much for me,need phone and internet for about £25 or less is this poss?
    thanks everyone
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks sparkly - the free phone number would be great as we are going to try and sort it tomorrow. ( :mad: )

I refuse to use the 0870 numbers unless I absolutely have to - I think it adds insult to injury to have to pay so much when it's their fault mum is having these problems. I notice there is a normal 'techie' phone number on another thread, so I was hoping someone would have a CS number somewhere :D

Sorry - can't help on your other problem. Probably best to start a separate thread for it as it will 'get lost' in this one.
  • Bert_Anderson
    Options
    I refuse to use the 0870 numbers unless I absolutely have to - I think it adds insult to injury to have to pay so much when it's their fault mum is having these problems. I notice there is a normal 'techie' phone number on another thread, so I was hoping someone would have a CS number somewhere :D

Only in Rip-Off Britain do they get away with this type of thing.

I think it is part of our national identity to be continually shafted by institutions. :mad:
  • SPARKLYBLUE_2
    Options
    Hi TM, had a real good search for my letter, but no luck, however I have found 3 freephone numbers for tiscali, they might be through to sales, but at least you can get through for free! and get them to transfer you when you have explained your distress, hope they help. 0800 954 222 0800 111 210 0800 107 9000.
    bye again! and good luck!!
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks sparkly.

Unfortunately they won't put you through and mum had to ring on an 0870 number.

Anyway, they have eventually (again!) sorted it, cancelled the dial up and are sending her the over payments in cheque form, along with an extra £10 to cover phone calls and distress. This time we'll see if it gets sorted. I'm not holding my breath........
  • SPARKLYBLUE_2
    Options
    Hi again TM! well I'm crossing my fingers for you! glad they are reimbursing you, and so they should! loads of luck.
    best wishes
    Sparkly!
  • wonderfullife_2
    Options
    Hi
    Had the same problems with this isp, cancelled and got my mac code, (best present of the year), then I got a bill, emailed as to why, they told me although I'd left I hadn't cancelled my account :eek: :eek: :eek:
    So when I finally calmed down and the air wasn't as blue, :rolleyes: 1 phoned took me to 3 different departments, cost £6.75 and now I've finally cancelled (I live in hope)
    So you have my sympathy, and I hope everything works out okay for you.
  • Stubbsy5050
    Options
    Don't imagine it is any better at Wanadoo because it isn't.

We rely on internet contact with friends and family abroad. Our 18 year old is at university in the USA. It is also vital for my work.

My home broadband connection failed in December so I rang Wanadoo and was promised reconnection by Christmas Eve. By January we were still disconnected. Wanadoo blamed BT. I made over 40 national rate phone calls before Customer Services in India admitted it was Wanadoo's problem all along and that they had done nothing to correct it. I cancelled my subscription.

However the problems continued when I tried to sign up to a new ISP. Wanadoo refused to give me a MAC code to transfer to another provider and for over a month now they have blocked my BT line so no other broadband supplier can use it.

Wanadoo also sent me a Hotmail message from Customer Services asking me why I was cancelling. I completed the online form and sent it back via the hotlink on the form. Surprise, surprise - it bounced back with "No such address"!

Wanadoo have displayed corporate incompetence, malice and mendacity, and I would advise anybody to avoid them like the plague. I have of course made a formal complaint to Ofcom.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure