Where can I buy pregnancy pelvic support belt?

Options
I'm 20 weeks pregnant and have started to get the symptoms of SPD - my pelvic bone is super-sore.

I went to the docs and was told that all I can do is rest and take paracetamol.

I asked about a belt but she said they don't tend to prescribe them but I keep seeing reference to them in pregnancy articles and forums.
where can I buy one and how much do they cost???? :confused:
Highest debt - £24500 :mad:

Current debt - £0 !!!! :)

Debt-free date - 4 AUGUST 2006 :D

Official DFW Nerd No 0073

Comments

• skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Try Ebay.

If you are a BIG girl like me, then they are not comfy at all.
  • cazscoob
    cazscoob Posts: 4,990 Forumite
    Options
    hi if you contact your midwife or physio at maternity hosp they will give you one for free! they come in various sizes so would advise getting measured and shown how to wear it properly
    caz x
    What's for you won't go past you
  • blottedcopybook
    Options
    Novice - they have stopped offering them because in reality they were close to useless! I had SPD with all of my pregnancies and the belt hurt more than the joints did because it rides up/rides down/folds over and catches skin. What you can ask for is a full body tubigrip which is much more supportive, but even at that it's no competition for a bit of R&R.

Take it easy because if this isn't your last pregnancy, SPD gets worse with each subsequent pregnancy and you could be cutting off your nose to spite your face in trying to be superwoman. Listen to your body - it's telling you to slow down!

Hope you're not in too much pain.
  • newmum2007
    Options
    I second what caz says, I'm now 29 weeks and when my spd started at around 20 weeks my midwife told me to ring the physio dept myself. I did, got an appointment within 2 weeks and saw a lovely lady who gave me some exercises and a belt although its not the most comfortable thing to wear.
  • Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    I got the belt and a body tubi-grip for my pelvic pain from my physiotherapist at my local maternity hospital.

It has helped a bit I must admit
  • Krystaltips
    Krystaltips Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    I just got an adjustable maternity belt from eBay for £10.40 (free P&P)
    A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...
    Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.

• oystercatcher
    Options
    Physio's give them out at the hospital where I work.
    Your midwife should be able to give you the number to ring.
    As said they don't suit everybody but can be worth a try.
    You can also take Paracetamol and codiene if paracetamol isn't enough. Ask at any chemists. Boots is cheapest if you have their healthcare membership.

Oystercatcher
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • blottedcopybook
    Options
    You can take codeine but there can be some risks to your baby so make sure you're fully informed about those. When the SPD pain is really bad, it's better for you to be comfortable.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I would ask your midwife for a physio referal, and they will give you one for free.

In the mean time, have you tried heat? I found warm baths helped, or sitting with a hot water bottle between your legs.

Did the doctor tell you practical tips? Be very careful carrying, lifting and pushing. Towards the end, even pushing the hoover round agrivated mine.

When you go up and down stairs, put both feet on each stair.

When you get in and out of the car, do it like a lady, by swivelling on your bum and putting both legs in/out together.

Think about different positions when you do baby making exercises, as having your legs wide apart will make it worse.

Rest up as much as you can. In the worst case scenario, you could end up in bed in hospital with it so you need to rest up and take care to prevent it getting worse.

Also take care after baby is born. It doesn't suddenly get better overnight and it can take a long time before you are fully fit.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • blottedcopybook
    Options
    Oh! NO heat, heat is the worst thing you can apply for SPD pain.

Sorry - I feel a little like I'm being quite bossy and I really don't mean to be, I was on bedrest with SPD from 24 weeks with my daughter and it was horrendous so I've got the script about how to manage pain. Heat is great for immediate relief but it also makes your ligaments and muscles more relaxed which is a BAD thing for SPD.

SPD is caused by too much lignin which is the hormone produced during pregnancy to relax your ligaments in your pelvis and allow the baby to pass through. There's nothing you can do to reduce the amount of lignin in your body and too much means your ligaments get stretchier so your joints overextend. The heat exacerbates the symptoms and can make it easier for you to damage your joints.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure