Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Is the heating on yet?

Yes! I turned it on recently

23.50% • 176 votes

No! But it will be on soon

6.94% • 52 votes

Yes - I never turned it off in the summer

2.94% • 22 votes

No - I'm holding out for as long as possible

65.02% • 487 votes

We don't have any heating

1.60% • 12 votes

You may not vote on this poll

749 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • tyllwyd
    • By tyllwyd 9th Sep 08, 2:39 PM
    • 5,383Posts
    • 4,370Thanks
    tyllwyd
    Have you put the heating on yet?
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:39 PM
    Have you put the heating on yet? 9th Sep 08 at 2:39 PM
    I'm starting to feel a bit chilly, but I'm doing my best not to put the heating on yet. I don't think I'm going to last past the end of the week, because my OH is in Singapore at the moment, so as soon as he arrives back he'll be heading for the thermostat!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 23-09-2008 at 6:51 PM.
Page 1
    • betterlatethannever
    • By betterlatethannever 9th Sep 08, 2:43 PM
    • 5,112 Posts
    • 54,190 Thanks
    betterlatethannever
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:43 PM
    I popped it on for one evening last week, but only because a family member was unwell, then only for a couple of hours.

I felt so guilty for doing it too as the heating doesn't normally go on till October, regardless of the weather.

I seem to be really feeling the cold at the mo, but i think thats because i'm constantly damp

I think i'll be digging out the jumpers and winter clothes this weekend and changing my bedding over to thicker, warmer stuff.
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 9th Sep 08, 2:43 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    I was thinking about this early... I'm clinging on to dear life and not turning it on.. lol!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt 29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • wheretheresawill
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:45 PM
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:45 PM
    I capped untill 2011 with scottish power a few months ago, so yes its on for maybe an hr if its very cold (or if mog is cold!!). I figure may as well use it now as in 2011 prob won't be able to afford heating!
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 9th Sep 08, 2:48 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:48 PM
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:48 PM
    I capped untill 2011 with scottish power a few months ago, so yes its on for maybe an hr if its very cold (or if mog is cold!!). I figure may as well use it now as in 2011 prob won't be able to afford heating!
    Originally posted by wheretheresawill
    In my experience 'capped' with scottish power doesn't mean anything other than your cost per unit of gas and electricity is fixed.. Your direct debit can and will still change as they estimate your yearly usage and adjust your DD accordingly.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt 29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • EmptyPockets
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:53 PM
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:53 PM
    I've also changed all the bedding to 'warmer' stuff, and added a few extra sheets, as the nights have been really chilly recently. The heating hasn't gone on yet... have been really good and reached for a jumper instead But I can see it won't be long before it goes on :rolleyes:
    "Your life is what your thoughts make it"

"If you can't bite, don't show your teeth!"

R.i.P our beautiful girl Suki. We'll love and miss you forever
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 9th Sep 08, 2:55 PM
    • 5,099 Posts
    • 4,772 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:55 PM
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:55 PM
    In my experience 'capped' with scottish power doesn't mean anything other than your cost per unit of gas and electricity is fixed..

Well, yes! That's the point of capping. Of course they may adjust your payments as your use of gas and electricity will vary, but capped unit cost until 2011 is a great deal. I went for it in March and am so glad I did.
  • sallyx
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:57 PM
    • 9th Sep 08, 2:57 PM
    no no no and I won't be putting mine on until Nov this year. We will all have to put an extra jumper on and snuggle up under a blanket if necessary. Im am determined not to give Eon anymore than I have to this winter!
    I'll make a wish, take a chance, make a change And breakaway. I'll take a risk, take a chance, make a change and breakaway ....
    Finally Debt Free...
    • Horace
    • By Horace 9th Sep 08, 3:01 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    • 9th Sep 08, 3:01 PM
    • 9th Sep 08, 3:01 PM
    I dont have central heating - only electric heaters. I have started wearing more layers and I have a fleecy blanket to snuggle under when watching tv. No need to put the electric blanket on yet either
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make 5 a day challenge Oct 2014 126.00/155
    Make 5 a day challenge Nov 2014 157.40/150
    Make 10 a day challenge Dec 2014 392.90/310
    • Cinny91
    • By Cinny91 9th Sep 08, 3:15 PM
    • 5,900 Posts
    • 25,180 Thanks
    Cinny91
    We haven't got it on yet either, Mum says October at the earliest which is fair play really. I'm nicely snug under a cardie and fleece atm which i don't mind!
    Mortgage July 2017 125,000.00 Current: 119116.94
    4.70% paid
  • Bismarck
    Well...I'm holding on for as long as possible though the little Bismarcks will probably want it on sooner than I'd like.
    For what I've done...I start again...And whatever pain may come ...Today this ends... I'm forgiving what I've done -AF since June 2007
  • Grashnak
    Turned the gas heater on for a 20 minutes on sunday - but then been off again. Maybe the three (sometimes four) computers we have running do most of the heating for us.
  • **Amy**
    I havent given in yet. My boiler/heating system is ancient and rubbish and costs me a fortune normally (the council have said they will replace it ever since i moved in 4 years ago, :rolleyes: ), so im dreading this year.

I will be switching it on briefly this evening to dry some washing, but then its being switched off until the next load of washing!

Debt: just my mortgage
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 9th Sep 08, 3:37 PM
    • 6,924 Posts
    • 44,203 Thanks
    Pooky
    Nope - not until 1st of November (if we really have to).

Pop over to the OS board and have a look at the "getting ready for winter" thread for ideas on how to keep yourself and your home snug.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • wizard5353
    Well I have turned on one radiator on low but I'm trying to leave it as long as I can before I turn the others on and the heating up but as it's looking like a nasty winter coming I don't hold much hope of cutting costs that way

I might move the BBQ inside and light that to keep warm, it's about the only use it would have seen over the past two years!
    • affordmylife
    • By affordmylife 9th Sep 08, 3:53 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 3,523 Thanks
    affordmylife
    i cant believe people are even thinking of it. im still in shortsleeved shirt sitting with patio doors wide open. its not hot of course but its perfectly lovely.

i also havent changed to warmer clothes yet or bedding.

havent even considered it yet.

yes the weather is cooler but not significantly yet.

definitely wont be considering heating on until at least end of october.
    4,000 personal debt

500/4,000 12.5% paid off. It's a start.
  • bigsmoke
    due to changing flats/flatmates, i've acquired a few small fleecy throws/blankets etc over the past year and these made a huge difference to how much we've used the heating. obviously, the huge difference in heating costs will worry us this winter, but we're also quite conscious of the enviromental impact. however - sometimes when it's not even that cold, if you're hunkering down to watch a dvd or something it's really nice to be cosy.
    i think a blanket is actually better in these situations than the heating - our flat is quite open plan, from the stair entrance from the ground floor right up to the loft conversion (i.e. over 3 floors with very doors only on the bedrooms) so the heating has to be ON to really feel the difference.
    i think one of the fleecies came from ikea for about 2, nearly 2 years ago and is still in really good condition: something cheap that doesn't actually fall apart!

oh - and you can't beat big woolly socks, just in case a foot ends up poking out into the cold!
  • Etherelda
    I've just bought some soft microfibre throws from Aldi, and I'm on the hunt for thick jumpers in the charity shops. I live with a Northener which makes life worse.

My mum forced us to do star jumps and run up and down the stairs before the heating went on.

The dogs sleep on the bed when its really cold.
    DMP Mutal Support thread No 237--------Starting Debt Oct 08: 8343.86--Current debt (Sept 10): 6509.07
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 9th Sep 08, 5:19 PM
    • 23,730 Posts
    • 42,880 Thanks
    ZTD
    I might move the BBQ inside and light that to keep warm, it's about the only use it would have seen over the past two years!
    Originally posted by wizard5353
    Don't **EVER** do that!

BBQs belt out loads of carbon monoxide. You'd be very dead, very quickly.

In fact recently: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10531314&ref=rss
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ExNicotineQueen
    • By ExNicotineQueen 9th Sep 08, 5:20 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    ExNicotineQueen
    I live in a shared house with 3 foreigners and the heating has been on constantly all year round. Even in the summer they had it on at 40 degrees max. I have warned my landlady many times about it but yet she doesn’t say a word to them. Still, I reckon when the new bill comes in she’ll soon change her mind when it hits her pocket.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,865Posts Today

7,412Users online

Martin's Twitter