Diamond Resorts-is it a scam?

Options

Comments

• Boony
    Options
    Hi, I am sure I am going to be accused of working for Diamond Resorts, this being my first post and all but hey ho.

My husband and I have recently 'inherited' points from my parents in law. They signed up to a timeshare with GVC almost 20 years ago with a 2 weeks timeshare at the Kenmore resort in Scotland. When Sunterra took over they were pursuaded to change over to the points system. Since then they have kept one of the weeks at Kenmore each year which guarantees they have the week they want and they use the other week or 5500 points for holidays in the other resorts.

Since meeting my husband in I have visited many of their resorts in Spain, Tenerife, Virginia, Germany and the UK and I have been impressed with the standard of all of them.

My parents in law recently decided that the points were no longer good value for themselves as they don't travel abroad often anymore so my husband and I have gladly taken the points over.

Yes the maintenance fees have gone up a lot, we had a meeting with one of the resort managers who said the extra money was going to redecorating and modernising the resorts, this could have just been the line they had been fed from head office to placate unhappy point owners but having recently stayed in a different timeshare companies resort, Diamond resorts does seem to be behind the times with technology etc (no broadband in the cottages at Kenmore for example) and upgrading would be welcomed.

The points are only good value if you make them work for you. My husband and I own a business so have great flexibility on when we can take our holidays making the 59 day last minute booking system fantastic for us. If you only want to holiday in the UK then it most definately isn't good value but we want to go abroad, the resorts in Hawaii for example at around 4500 points off peak work out a lot cheaper than a week in the equivelant that you would book ordinarily.

Done properly on last minute bookings we could get at least 3 weeks a year out of our points and if we go for 3-4 day breaks which they have recently introduced we could get 5 or 6 holidays a year.

Because of the way we have got the points I have never been to one of the meetings, I can imagine it is a hard sell but if you are not interested LEAVE!!! If they use physical means to keep you there call the police!!!

If you are only interested in peak season UK breaks don't bother, its expensive and pointless. If you have flexibility on when you use the points and where you go then it is good value for money. At least until they put the fees up again!!
  • torpedo_2
    Options
    DRI tell us we cannot exit membership unless we die or are bankrupt.
    If you have membership they say you have to pay annual fees for life!

The fees are now too high and could well go even higher, with the possibility of more than one charge each year as they did last year.

Please stay well away if you are offered DRI membership.

The points cannot be sold of given away.

There are now 2 action groups totaling hundresds of people taking legal advice, one posts on a Daily Mirror blog -
    http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2008/11/no-answers-from-diamond-resort.html

There have been 2 Mirror stories run and 2 in Scotland on Sunday newpaper.

Please take a look at the blog and join us, we need everyone we can to join in a joint action.
  • mac32
    Options
    Oh dear, after reading all these threads looks like I should be counting myself lucky that I'll never on this short break (phew!!) . I came across the Dimond demons whilst shopping and thought that looks good and if I can listen to screaming kids all day at work the surely I could handle a 90 minute chat and plus I really needed a break . Gave my details and was told that the money on £69 would be taken out in 5 days . Sadly for me my partner became yet another victim of the recession was made redudant , so using my money brain I decided we needed to save and so called the "demons" to inform them of my situation and asked them to delay taking any money from me until further notice. Well to my shock!! I checked my bank statement only to discover that they had taken the money (bloody cheek) I was fumming but my partner said " what the hell let's just go enjoy the break " . I called them to book the break only to be asked " do you both earn over £30.000 a year " to which I replied " yes we do but my partner is out of work at the moment but I did explan this to one of your other staff and asked that you do not take any money from my accont , but you have so I would like to book in July please. Her responce " I am very sorry but you do not fit our criteria of earnying over £30.000" , I could'nt believe what I was hearing !!!:mad: . " fine. Well then I would like my money back" :mad::mad: and the last blow from her was " it's non- refunderble" . so looks like I've been well a truely done over .......or can I get my money back ??? .
  • Fed_Up_7
    Options
    D - FOR DANGER -ONCE THEY HAVE REALED YOU IN YOU ARE STUCK WITH IT. Management fees have gone up 100% over 4 years. They can raise their management fees and add on additional charges as they see fit. We cannot afford to be with this company any longer. However, if you join this club you cannot get out (unlike any other club) unless you sell your investment and guess what no one wants to buy AND DIAMOND RESORTS DONT WANT THEM EITHER - THEY CAN HAVE MINE FOR FREE AND STILL THEY DONT WANT THEM. If you die or are terminally ill or over 75 you might have a chance of cancelling your membership. I have had to retire through poor health my husband is to be made redundant. Diamond Resorts will not accept our resignation. I have cancelled my direct debits and will no doubt be taken to Court. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. There are over a 100 of us pursuing this through a solicitor.
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You will NOT be taken to court.......no-one ever has..........
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • crits
    crits Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello there,
    I've been a Member of Diamond Resorts (formerly GVC & later Sunterra) since 2002.
    Original vouchers presented were never scams - enjoyed all respective Car Hire + 8 day Holidays vouchers presented - I guess it is a way of getting prospective Buyers together, with no obligation, to join & become Members of their Timeshare Product.
    As far as am concerned, so far I have no regrets - been to about 10 weekly vacations since I joined, all in different locations around Europe - sometimes we were just 2 couples (4pax) and on other occasions 6 pax and even 8 pax. Great fun and the accommodation has always been of an excellent standard.
    Yes, I tend to agree that the Annual Maintenance Fees are always increasing - from GBP 325 in 2002 to GBP 720 in 2009 !!! The point system is however very flexible and booking can easly be done online nowadays as DRI's website shows online live availability.
    So far no regrets & I look foward to more vacations. Good Luck.
    Regards,
    CRITS
    11/2/2009
  • antenna
    antenna Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    crits wrote: »
    Hello there,
    I've been a Member of Diamond Resorts (formerly GVC & later Sunterra) since 2002.
    Original vouchers presented were never scams - enjoyed all respective Car Hire + 8 day Holidays vouchers presented - I guess it is a way of getting prospective Buyers together, with no obligation, to join & become Members of their Timeshare Product.
    As far as am concerned, so far I have no regrets - been to about 10 weekly vacations since I joined, all in different locations around Europe - sometimes we were just 2 couples (4pax) and on other occasions 6 pax and even 8 pax. Great fun and the accommodation has always been of an excellent standard.
    Yes, I tend to agree that the Annual Maintenance Fees are always increasing - from GBP 325 in 2002 to GBP 720 in 2009 !!! The point system is however very flexible and booking can easly be done online nowadays as DRI's website shows online live availability.
    Regards,
    CRITS
    11/2/2009
    Darkest load of crap i have read so far.........and first post too......
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
  • chris.s_5
    Options
    crits wrote: »
    Hello there,
    Regards,
    CRITS
    11/2/2009

It seems unbelievable to me that anyone is still defending this appalling company. Its predecessors, GVC and Sunterra played by the rules and provided decent quality accommodation while keeping maintenance fees at an affordable level. Since DRI took over 'annual' fees have now become 'periodic' and there has been an interim charge to all members (how do they think they can get away with changing the wording of everyone's agreement at will?) Added to this there has been an enormous increase over 2008 fees of 37%. So many members including myself are so cheesed off that we are prepared to take legal action to extricate ourselves from their restrictive grasp which they are exploiting ruthlessly. Any other members interested should contact the Law Practice in Birmingham - Gwyneth Allsop is the Solicitor handling the case which is already being studied by a barrister. Anyone who is considering involvement with DRI should desist immedialtely
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Law Practice UK you cant promote your business here or post personnel details or have links in your signature.

Reported to abuse. I suggest you read the rules http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=305655
  • EM-doc
    Options
    Hi,

I (think that I) understand this points system; however, I did not know about this annual maintainance fees. They offered a trial membership for 18 months in which to use 10'000 points. They didn't for once mention anything about a maintainance fee. Can you please elaborate. Ta.

Xendar wrote: »
    My parents-in-law have bought a package with Diamond Resorts (formerly Suntera). Basically you pay x amount of money and get x amount of points to spend each yaer on accomodation in places used by Diamond Resorts. Personally I don't think it's worth it for my folks in law as they don't always get the chance to use all their points. And it did cost them a lot of money. I think if you've got the time you can make it work for you but I would have thought for most it just isn't worth it.

The accomodation is good though I've stayed in resorts in the UK, Span and Menorca and I've always been happy with it.

The other thing to point out is that there is also a yearly maintainence fee on top of what you've already paid originally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure