PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    Just a flying visit from another of the totally "spoonless" I had hoped to catch up properly this evening but hope to find a spoon or two by tomorrow .

maddie I'm glad you will be in safe hands , it makes all the difference . Hopefully the DMARD will help . That may be one LW will know of as it is a Lupus drug as well as Rheumatoid Arthritis .

LW It's always the hair ! I swear if hair didn't need washing I wouldn't have so many flares . 2 Mia's ? now you're getting greedy .

Candy I do get the itchy arms thing but mine seems connected to the never ending hay fever . If you haven't already done so it could be worth mentioning it to your GP . Some meds can be a factor also .
    Well not even a tiny spoon to offer today so gentle hugs and much empathy to all .

LL I hope you wore a mask if needed today . Try to ease off tomorrow .

Wishing restful sleep to all . Hope to catch up tomorrow .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    I'm intrigued......I had never heard of a multi cooker. Are they any good, can you please tell me what can you use them for. I'm guessing they are good for small portions.

I did try a remoska but found it too heavy to lift and I managed to burn myself so out it went.

I did wonder about buying a mini table top oven when it's just cooking for one but perhaps a multi Cooker would be more versatile??

It's very light. Just weighed the bowl with the steamer insert and that comes to 700g. Just use a ladle to decant the meals out. We have oven gloves from Lakeland that are gloves so you use your hand normally (cool hand oven gloves). Wouldn't get to heavy for a cake and could use the gloves to pick it up and upend onto a plate.
    My multi cooker is only 8 in 1. White rice, quick rice, brown rice, grains, oatmeal/porridge, slow cooking/soup, steaming and desserts.
    It's 10 cups which I think is 2.2L or something like that.
    Thing is you can make meals in it using the rice settings but it depends on which one to what you are making. You could do a pasta meal easily in it for example, or paella, one pot rice dish etc.

Some of the other multi cookers can fry or have yogurt functions and the like.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    D&G I've just signed in again after reading your post . Do you know if there is a version of your multi cooker that does stews etc? From your really helpful description it sounds good but some brands have a few more options in their range .
    We discussed multi cookers quite a while back . I remember Elona answering a number of questions for me . There's also discussions on Mini Ovens etc . I just wish we had an index like a book . One question you could answer is whether it has a non stick coating as I'm looking for something that doesn't .
    polly x

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just a quick post before I go off to bed, need an early start tomorrow as we need to leave our little side road by 09:30 in order to get the van out through a narrow road before the bus and the refuse lorry gets here:(

Wishing a whole multitude of replacement spoons for everyone needing them, so pleased to learn of your canine visitors LameWolf.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just a quickie to say thank you so much for the i for about multi cookers. I will go back through the thread and read up, both multi cookers and mini ovens....and any other little gold nuggets. ;)

Maddie.....meant to say glad you are finally getting some answers. At least you know what you are dealing with and can. Is hopefully get the right treatments and the support you need.

DS2 is coming over today....the job list is waiting. Bless him.

Horrid day here......dark as January. :o
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I woke up early yesterday in pain as I had a bad calf cramp and I got back into bed with my laptop and read back through the whole thread as I hadn't read all of it. I have written down lots of helpful tips.:)

I rubbed some tiger balm into my legs last night and then put on my fleecy PJ bottoms and felt fine this morning and much less stiff. I think tiger balm worked better for me than Voltarol gel!

I think someone mentioned tiger balm on here, so thanks to them. I haven't used tiger balm since I was a teenager as my friend used it for headaches.

I have just ordered a paraffin wax bath for hands and feet. I'll report back........

I used to use them on my clients when I was doing my beauty therapy but I had forgotten that they can be used for pain relief. Doh......:rotfl: I do find that cold damp weather makes the pain worse so It's worth a try.

Ooh, I would be interested.

I read that massaging some oil onto your hands and then putting them into a bowl of comfortably hot water can help with stiffness.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 September 2017 at 12:07PM
    Options
    A few months ago I would have wondered what spoons meant, but I have read the meaning of that now.:D

I'm trying to get a few things organised at the moment as I want to make sure that I am getting as much help as I can! I have neglected my own health so much over the past few years while I was caring for my husband.

I want to see my GP this week and I'm going to ask to be referred to the sleep clinic.

I'm going to join a new dentist and get my teeth properly cleaned by a hygienist.

I want to go to a Chinese medicine centre in London and ask about a course of regular reflexology to help with migraines. I've been looking online and some of them say they help with fibromyalgia so I'm going to ask what help they think they can give.

I'm going to get in contact with my NHS mental health department and see if I can get referred for some sessions of therapy.

I also have booked another appointment with my GP next week and I'm going to ask about being referred to a pain management course.

Phew, a lot to do. I'm just going to pace myself.:A
  • 117pauline
    Options
    I have found that if I prepare/cook a meal a day in advance then we tend to get a home cooked meal more often. It takes the pressure off me which makes me less anxious when I am feeling helpless/hopeless.

The negative voice in my head is what I am most struggling with at the moment. Also when the season's change seems to have an effect on how I feel.

So I am returning to the basics that work for me - swimming ,gentle walk, stuff done in the adverts and keeping a diary. Goodness I sound old
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    A few spoons today !
    First of all a belated happy holiday to maddie and her husband . You're probably there by now so hope the journey went well . It's been raining heavily here with low leaden skies , but rain has stopped so I wish you sunny days and time to relax and recharge your batteries .

Wednesday You have a good proactive plan there . You've covered all the bases . I'm pleased to see you included MH . Even if you've never had anxiety etc before it is a common thing to become anxious and overwhelmed when illness comes along . I think having to navigate the ins and outs of a new life ( which is not the life you knew ) and to cope with day to stuff while doing so and include appointments etc while the mind muddles and exhaustion becomes a factor is something many of us share here .

LL Keep your son fed and watered but sit down and issue the orders :rotfl:
    I think the multi cooker Elona has is a Von Shef .

Are you feeling any better now AOT? I doubt you've got weather for sitting on the balcony today . I did see a news headline a few days ago " September Heatwave !" I wouldn't welcome that but a nice midway point would be good .

Well I'm off for some lunch . Youngest and I have been discussing home made soups , stews and casseroles so I need to get a grip on all the corners I've cut especially in the past two years . Organisation and planning has gone to pot . I don't know what's in the cupboards and chest freezer and meal planning is a distant memory . I can't find whatever I need when I need it .
    It's been never ending between all the appointments , getting all medics singing from the same hymn sheet and stress .
    The diary is full of appointments from Friday through to mid October some near some far and most weeks are more than one so a mix of doing a bit at home and hoping for sleep will be the way for now .
    Back later
    polly x

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    Welcome back Pauline , spotted you as I was about to log out .
    So many here will recognise that negative voice . Your best weapon is a virtual tool box which you should build from the type of things you describe . Different things work for different people . My daughter had a big meltdown on Friday and Saturday was spent discussing the tools to use to try to turn those thoughts around . She has Borderline PD so that voice is in her head all the time . Counselling and really researching the condition means her life is much improved . It will never go away but if she can turn those thoughts around in time she is not in a spiral .
    Hope to see you here again . I still wonder how the posters in the past are .
    polly x

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport