Money Moral Dilemma: Should we go back and pay for our meal?

Options

Comments

• JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As you say that the owners insisted the meals were on the house, I suggest that the next time you go back, you say how sorry you were that they had an emergency and do hope their dog is OK now. Then say that it was very generous of them to tell everyone that the meals were on the house and thank them.
  • newbs68
    newbs68 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you feel bad, then yes, especially if it's a regular haunt.
    Or make a donation to a dog charity.

You are obviously a kind person with compassion.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think this case, as in many other moral dilemmas, is to treat other people in the same way that you would like to be treated yourself. There are obviously always people out there who are out for all they can get when it comes to grabbing a freebie but perhaps they should ask themselves honestly how they would feel if if they were surrounded by friends or family who would treat them in that manner.
  • Andy_Levy
    Options
    The very fact that you asked the question indicates that you know the right response; that is, the response that in the longer term would be enough to make all parties (perhaps with the exception of the dog), feel better.
    I suspect that the offer would be declined but very gratefully received, nonetheless.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If they wanted paying they would of asked for it. No dilemma.
  • Podgie
    Podgie Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Anyone with a shred of decency would go back and pay without having to think about it.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Podgie wrote: »
    Anyone with a shred of decency would go back and pay without having to think about it.

This in bucket loads.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I that it that none of you suffered any ill effects from the meal you had, and that the dog's collapse had nothing to do with what was on the menu, as it seems a bit odd that the owner should be so eager to rid himself of everyone so quickly and without paying.

If you dine there often, though, you might want to offer to pay for what you had, if only to maintain goodwill and keep in with the landlord; a lot of pubs struggle to keep afloat and rely on local custom to stay in business, and it would do no harm to make the gesture. Besides, the welfare of his dog evidently overrode his thoughts of takings on the night, and losing income through no fault of his can't have helped.
  • piglit21
    piglit21 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely, they needed to get out quickly by the sounds of things and didn't have time to sort out everyone's bills.
    As others have said, if you go there regularly, just add more next time.
    If you don't then I would go back and offer to pay for something.
  • Gavalah21
    Options
    Why not offer to pay and if they refuse it offer to give the money to a charity of there choosing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure