Money Moral Dilemma: Should we go back and pay for our meal?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
We recently went for a meal in our local family-run pub. While waiting for dessert, the owner announced they were closing due to an emergency (their dog had had a seizure). At the time they insisted what we'd eaten was on the house - but should we go back and offer to pay?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• mundibananas
    mundibananas Posts: 85
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I assume you eat there frequently given it's your local ... to avoid awkwardness, next time you go in, perhaps enquire about the health of the pooch and suggest donating to a local animal charity of their choice ...
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would go back, they probably just wanted everybody out ASAP so they could lock up and dash to the vet.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,109
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No. They told you it was on the house so it was. Next time you dine there leave them a generous tip. It's not like you did a runner is it.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Forumite
    Yes, I would, they probably didn't have time to work out what people owe and take payment.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,579
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    I assume you eat there frequently given it's your local ... to avoid awkwardness, next time you go in, perhaps enquire about the health of the pooch and suggest donating to a local animal charity of their choice ...

Nice suggestion. :T
    I don't think I would feel comfortable benefiting from a crisis in a place I eat or drink regularly.
    I guess other people may feel differently.
    @ the people who do think differently - who do you think has funded your meal?
    Don't you think they have had enough expense with the vet fees?

It's a local, family run place.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Forumite
    What I'd do would depend on how they are generally.

If they're generally horrible people but just really love their dog, I'd probably not bother doing anything.
    If they're generally okay people but still really love their dog, I'd probably make a donation to them for the dogs treatment rather than pay my actual bill amount.
    If they're generally good people then I'd pay my bill.
    If they're generally excellent people who help others out and often put people ahead of profits, I'd consider having a whip round for them to pay for dogs treatment/treat themselves as they see fit. Seizures would (to my mind at least but I'm no vet) indicate theres likely to be expensive tests/treatment or ongoing medication costs.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes.

They would have been just anxious to deal with their diners in the quickest/easiest way possible at the time. But it wouldn't have been a genuinely generous voluntary offer and was obviously a "Quick get them out of the way pronto" offer instead.

There is a difference between a genuine gift and an enforced gift and I would say that was an enforced gift and it would be "the decent thing" to go back and enquire after dog's welfare and hand over the money owed.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    no ... Its a ridiculous scenario that isnt even a dilemma
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 July 2019 at 7:13PM
    Genuinely, I would go back and pay - or I would feel I bad benefited from dogs illness.

I am sure they felt they had no choice but to offer there to be no charge, when they had to get the diners out
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Mundibananas i like that idea! A little thought and kindness goes a long way
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure