Forum Home» Marriage, Relationships & Families

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we go back and pay for our meal?

New Post Advanced Search

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we go back and pay for our meal?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
51 replies 32.9K views
MSE_SarahMSE_Sarah MSE Staff
287 posts
Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
We recently went for a meal in our local family-run pub. While waiting for dessert, the owner announced they were closing due to an emergency (their dog had had a seizure). At the time they insisted what we'd eaten was on the house - but should we go back and offer to pay?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: [email protected]

Replies

• mundibananasmundibananas Forumite
    76 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I assume you eat there frequently given it's your local ... to avoid awkwardness, next time you go in, perhaps enquire about the health of the pooch and suggest donating to a local animal charity of their choice ...
  • onwards&upwardsonwards&upwards Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would go back, they probably just wanted everybody out ASAP so they could lock up and dash to the vet.
  • SpendlessSpendless Forumite
    21.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. They told you it was on the house so it was. Next time you dine there leave them a generous tip. It's not like you did a runner is it.
  • Marvel1Marvel1 Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I would, they probably didn't have time to work out what people owe and take payment.
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    29K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you eat there frequently given it's your local ... to avoid awkwardness, next time you go in, perhaps enquire about the health of the pooch and suggest donating to a local animal charity of their choice ...

Nice suggestion. :T
    I don't think I would feel comfortable benefiting from a crisis in a place I eat or drink regularly.
    I guess other people may feel differently.
    @ the people who do think differently - who do you think has funded your meal?
    Don't you think they have had enough expense with the vet fees?

It's a local, family run place.
  • unholyangelunholyangel Forumite
    15.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I'd do would depend on how they are generally.

If they're generally horrible people but just really love their dog, I'd probably not bother doing anything.
    If they're generally okay people but still really love their dog, I'd probably make a donation to them for the dogs treatment rather than pay my actual bill amount.
    If they're generally good people then I'd pay my bill.
    If they're generally excellent people who help others out and often put people ahead of profits, I'd consider having a whip round for them to pay for dogs treatment/treat themselves as they see fit. Seizures would (to my mind at least but I'm no vet) indicate theres likely to be expensive tests/treatment or ongoing medication costs.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
  • MoneySeeker1MoneySeeker1 Forumite
    818 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

They would have been just anxious to deal with their diners in the quickest/easiest way possible at the time. But it wouldn't have been a genuinely generous voluntary offer and was obviously a "Quick get them out of the way pronto" offer instead.

There is a difference between a genuine gift and an enforced gift and I would say that was an enforced gift and it would be "the decent thing" to go back and enquire after dog's welfare and hand over the money owed.
    The history books of the future will condemn us - long and hard - for imposing Lockdown.

4.5 million people in Britain alone forced into being unpaid carers by Lockdown
    Uncounted number of Lockdown Suicides
    Uncounted number of people dying or suffering more harshly from other illnesses
    Millions are or will lose income.

• svainsvain Forumite
    516 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    no ... Its a ridiculous scenario that isnt even a dilemma
  • edited 9 July 2019 at 8:13PM
    ska_loverska_lover Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 July 2019 at 8:13PM
    Genuinely, I would go back and pay - or I would feel I bad benefited from dogs illness.

I am sure they felt they had no choice but to offer there to be no charge, when they had to get the diners out
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • MrsnMrsn Forumite
    1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Mundibananas i like that idea! A little thought and kindness goes a long way