Issues with my RX-8

Options

Comments

• James2k
    Options
    So..
    ginashamz wrote: »
    231hp or not it still does 0-60 in about 6 seconds. Faster than 95% of the cars on the road.

Oh and lets not forget the all important round abouts and twists and turns. Leaves even the bigger 3 litre diesel Audi/Mercs in the dust.
    I find this quite humorous. Middle managers talking about their euro box diesels. You're still young kid and if you don't mind me saying quite naïve being a graduate entering the 'real' world. No one cares what you drive as long as its not diabolically bad i.e. a riced out Honda Jazz with an aftermarket F1 spoiler.

You want a car that's in banger price territory, looks good and a car for your middle managers to talk about around the coffee table? I suggest the Mazda RX8 231hp edition. Will blow the water with their diesel euro boxes.
    Haha funny how you have to compare the latest generation 3 series BMW with a THREE litre 6 cylinder engine and that too probably with a dual clutch automatic to a Mazda RX8 that was released in 2003. Also you do realise that 3 litre top of the range 3 series it probably nearly twice the cost of the RX8 when it was new?

Most diesels you see on the road aren't performance BMW 3 litre engines are they? They are usually 1.6 or 2.0 diesels. Also I am pretty confident that an RX8 will still beat that 3 litre diesel dual clutch beamer around a track.
    It has two rotors, each with a displacement a shade over 1300cc giving a total displacement of nearly 2700cc (or 2.6 litre)

It's not the lightest of sports cars but goes OK. A bit torqueless but you need to use to revs. But, yes it will quite handily beat any 2 litre diesel engine off the line at the traffic lights. Never mind the twists and turns, the diesel wouldn't know which way the '8' went
    No disrespect to any forum users here but judging by the crowd of users, they all seem boring and just want an A-B car. Safe to say I probably own the most exciting, fastest car here compared to the bog standard FWD corsa's or miserable mondeos everyone here seems to own

and yet..
    I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the acceleration.I mean just today I struggled to ahead of a bloody VW Polo TDI off the traffic lights!

Surely you'd think a car like this would come with more torque?

fry-futurama-not-sure-if-lying-not-sure-if-serious-not-sure-face-1378948484E.gif
  • James2k
    Options
    Those rotary engine are prone to wear and expensive when it comes to having it repaired. hence why no one favours them.
    Sorry that's clearly untrue, plenty of people favour them, plenty of people love them.
    facade wrote: »
    To me, loads of gears is simply a sign of an inflexible engine. American V8s got away with 2 gears and a torque converter for donkeys years.
    It has the standard number of gears.. try getting max speed, acceleration and fuel economy from two gears. not happening, and old american V8s aren't exactly renowned for their prowess.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 20 September 2018 at 7:10AM
    Options
    What happened to, I will take a pic tonight

ginashamz
    post_old.gif 28-08-2018, 2:14 PM MoneySaving Convert
    1_star.gif

Whats this?

icon1.gif
    Will provide a picture of my phone showing this forum page on my car dash today evening as proof.

then you disappeared for a while
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Will provide a picture of my phone showing this forum page on my car dash today evening as proof.

then you disappeared for a while

Yes i was in awe when i heard he was going to demonstrate his prowess by showing a picture of said driving machine - i mean how many of us on here can afford the what must be nigh on £1,000 required to buy a rusty old RX8 with the wrong suspension that can be out dragged by a Polo diesel at the lights.

Living the dream, eh?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    James2k wrote: »
    It has the standard number of gears.. try getting max speed, acceleration and fuel economy from two gears. not happening, and old american V8s aren't exactly renowned for their prowess.

Which is my point. You will have to mess around with all 6 gears to get what you want, acceleration, top speed, or economy.

There is also the possibility that it has been previously "tuned" which has compressed/moved its power band.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has it been (badly) remapped ?
  • James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Which is my point. You will have to mess around with all 6 gears to get what you want, acceleration, top speed, or economy.

There is also the possibility that it has been previously "tuned" which has compressed/moved its power band.
    yeah but thats hardly unique to the '8
  • James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Yes i was in awe when i heard he was going to demonstrate his prowess by showing a picture of said driving machine - i mean how many of us on here can afford the what must be nigh on £1,000 required to buy a rusty old RX8 with the wrong suspension that can be out dragged by a Polo diesel at the lights.

Living the dream, eh?
    anythings better than what we all expect he actually drives

4fa89588-a0b9-46e5-be70-b6c15f25d76b_1.2bd83efb0b967e63f42123bf49194500.jpeg
  • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    Options
    James2k wrote: »
    Sorry that's clearly untrue, plenty of people favour them, plenty of people love them.

Your opinion makes it clearly untrue? ill respect your opinion but ill trust my knowledge and experience to know its NOT clearly untrue.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hmm, I had a PZ from new. The acceleration was extremely good but needed revs. The only down side of the high torque peak was reversing up the slope of my drive where it was very difficult to avoid either stalling it or revving the balls off it. FWIW I ran it for 27k miles and the only fault was a split sun visor (replaced under warranty).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure