PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mr T £50.42
    Costcutters £7.79 (night in wine and creme eggs for me and my bestie
    M&expensive £7.80 (lunch on the go on a 200 mile round trip at the weekend)
    Garage £3 sweeties on above trip

Total £125.74 so £174.26 left

Officially in a clique of idiots
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    £3.11 spent yesterday at work and two loaves picked up by daughter today for 10p each. Therefore i have £3.31 to add to my total spends.

I have an impending Morrisons shop due on Wednesday, which i hope will be the last big shop needed of the month; but with another fifteen days to go from then, i am not too sure it's doable.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 March 2018 at 8:37AM
    Options
    €15.65 for strawberries, bananas, 3x avocados, cherry tomatoes, and butter.

We finally ran out of butter after a few months. I think we've been working through our butter since December! Most of the strawberries at the store were horribly moldy. I probably got one of the only few that weren't. I'll try to eat these as quickly as possible, just in case.

For dinner I had some of the beef soup in the fridge, half a scone and some of the fancy bacon we bought last week to try out. I pulled a skinny steak out of the freezer to defrost for lunch tomorrow and I should probably pull out more (bulky) meat to defrost for tomorrow's dinner as well. OH pulled out one of the HM ready meals I put in the freezer for him. While he was waiting for it to cook in the oven, he ate the last two eggs (which I didn't know were the last ones). I'll probably go get eggs tomorrow during another errand.

Eating from the freezer also prevented me/us from ordering food delivery and saved me about €30 or so. I'm so glad my laziness kicked in...and the place I wanted to order from is closed on Mondays. :D

I'm tempted to eat the refrigerated haggis just to avoid putting it in the freezer. ;)

Totals So Far:
    €133.42 / €400.00
    8/10 NSD
    £0/£150 UK stock up
  • MadamMim2013
    Options
    :eek: my total is at £212.64 already... :eek:
    Did purchase some staples, re filled the stock cupboard and some yummy veggies from the green grocers.. Enough cat food till next month too.. I shall only be needing top ups
    I WILL come in under budget this month!! :rotfl:
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    selloptape wrote: »
    I completed a new meal plan at the weekend and shopped on Sunday for the first half of the week. Shouldn!!!8217;t need to go shopping again until Weds.

I!!!8217;m struggling to get my head round the cost of meals - joining the challenge has really brought home the increased cost of groceries :( Hopefully the veggie/vegan meals I!!!8217;ve planned in later in the week will reduce costs a little.

What about the cost is frustrating you? Is it the calculation of individual meals, the weekly shop costs or something else?
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have spent more this week as although I am going on holiday, DS3 will be home from university a few days before I return so I have stocked up the cupboards and freezer to prevent the poor love from starving.. I managed to get some YS meat and a pizza, what I have now should last until Easter with the addition of some fresh fruit and veg.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • lemonverbena
    Options
    £5.91 at the local greengrocers and £1.00 on food at Iceland so £78.34 total on food and £94.10 total on groceries.
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I almost forgot, does anyone know where you can buy the recycle-able toothbrushes? I have read you can get ones made from bamboo, and that toothbrushes account for a huge amount of plastic waste.

Thanks.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wysiwyg49 did you brush the top with egg or anything like that? Thanks for this nice idea.

Hi - thanks :) I brushed the edges of the filo with melted butter so that it would stick a bit, and also the top. I think it started off from this recipe:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/potatoandpeasamosas_86618

but we often make chickpea and potato curry so I put that in instead. Did make it once with peas added, which was also good!
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • klbooth
    klbooth Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco delivery for the month today, usually comes start of the month but with one thing or another has been delayed. Also remembered a couple of chippy purchases that hadn't been put on last week so total now...

£175.59/£410
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport