June bring your lunch to work

Options

Comments

• wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not hard, but I commute via a train station with loads of temptations... M&S, Greggs, Costa, a 'healthy' cafe, a kebab and chicken place... not to mention, the coffee man who comes to the door every morning with pastries, the M&S van, the sandwich trolley man (often runs out of sandwiches but has drinks, chocolates, cakes and crisps), the Friday breakfast sandwich run, and then there are 2 vending machines full of junk. so, while it's easy to bring in lunch, the temptation is always there to 'top it up' with something and it all adds up. Then, if I'm off gigging of a night and haven't had time to get shopping in, I can end up with nothing prepared and spending about £7.

So for me this is about focus!

Score 1/21 today - a bit sandwich-tastic again though!
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £228.36/200

Decluttering 856/2024 Awards 🥇
    (22/04/24)
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Lunch today is chicken / mayo salad wraps :D
    1 / 21
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Can I join in please - I only physically go into work 3 days a week so 13 for me this month
    Yesterday - left over risotto with mushroom and leek, toasted bagel, salad - it was lovely :)

1/13
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    1/15 for yesterday - leftover bean chilli in a wrap and some fruit :)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Tropically wrote: »
    It is more convenient then making food at home and bringing it in.
    It often tastes better than a soggy sandwich I made the night before. I hate sandwiches and prefer things that taste good. I don't want to eat meat and carbs for lunch everyday.
    It provides a mental and physical break from work which is crucial for those of us with stressful jobs.
    Taking in lunch requires planning and time in the evening. There are many times when I don't get home until past my regular bed-time, and have no interest in cooking.
    Eating a tasty lunch makes me feel good about the day. I am easily bored and don't repeat meals.

That said, it's expensive and not always more joyful than a delicious lunch at home. A well cooked packed lunch beats a Pret sandwich.

My sandwiches are never soggy, they are made in the morning not the night before, I also know exactly what goes in them and how they are made. I then take them to work in a small cool bag with an ice block in it . Same goes for sallad when I take it although that is more hassle to make.

I hate paying for overpriced takeaway snacks/ lunch
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    It's not so much being hard, its losing focus and momentum to keep bringing lunch to work.

Where I am based, there are four supermarkets and five take away places within 5 -10 minute drive from site.

I work in different supermarkets all day everyday and sometimes look at the lunch offerings but am never tempted .

My son on the other hand buys his most days.

Is it a generation thing
  • gien
    gien Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll join in again this month please and try to post more (i did take almost all my lunches in last month). Ill go for a full 21 out of 21. This Friday I'm not at work but travelling for a weekend away so I will take a packed lunch for the flight.

Oh, and lunch on the 1st was fruit and yoghurt and a salad
    Trying to keep in budget.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning,

List has been updated, let me know if I have missed anyone :)

Left over BBQ for lunch today, hoping to beat my total this month.

Have a lovely day x
  • Soundgirlrocks
    Options
    Falafel wrap for today and tomorrow and then I'm off for my mini break 1/16
  • Soundgirlrocks
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    I hate paying for overpriced takeaway snacks/ lunch

So do most of the people in this group.

My challenge is I work in an area where there are fantastic street food vendors and market stalls, stunning food from around the world that inspires my home cooking but it can get expensive so by joining this group I can monitor how many times a month I "eat out"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure