MOT Cost Cutting discussion

Options

Comments

• serendipity73
    Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but if you are south/east London based give The Test Centre a go. They don't do repairs or have an affiliation with a garage, and don't charge you if it fails. I've used them 4 times and never had a problem.

thetestcentre.co.uk
  • adelebw2469
    adelebw2469 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'VE NOTICED A FEW COMMENTS ABOUT THE MOT TEST CENTRE IN STOCKPORT AND THEIR LACK OF HELP WHEN ORGANISING MOT'S. THIS IS THE REPLY FROM THE COUNCIL. HOPE IT HELPS

Dear Ms Wilkinson

Thank you for your email regarding if Stockport Council has an M.O.T centre available to the public.

I have been advised that this is correct and if you would like to get more details then please call them on 0161-660-0972.

If you require any further assistance then please contact our team.

Kind Regards
    Donna
    Customer Service Officer
    Stockport Direct
    Contact Centre
    Tel: 0161 217 6111
  • halsteadk
    halsteadk Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Top of the list of things to check is lights. OK, you should check these routinely anyway, but in my last car changing the main beam bulb (not essential depending on when and where you drive) involved removing the entire headlamp unit. As the MOT test centre would replace the bulb for the cost of the bulb, and then re-test immediately for free, the easiest solution was to leave it until the MOT.
  • historian
    historian Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know where I can get a Haynes for a Vauxhall Agila reg. 2002? Have tried all usual sources.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    historian wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a Haynes for a Vauxhall Agila reg. 2002? Have tried all usual sources.

Haynes don't list one. The best you seem to get is a CD off ebay.
  • moggyd200
    Options
    You don`t list it on your site but there is a testing station in Newton Abbot, on the Brunel industrial estate, on the junction of Forde Rd and the Town Quay.
  • buno
    buno Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    My car just failed second test. I took the car to my local garage to have the work done and returned to Stoneacre within ten days and was not charged for the retest. The retest took an hour and although all the failure points had been addressed the car failed because a new fault was found!
    What do I do now? A small hole needs welding so I will have that done at my local garage (who do not do MOTs) but dare I return to Stoneacre for a third 'cheap' MOT? After reading Martin's article on MOTs I wonder if I should try a council centre if there is one near Scarborough.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A retest is supposed to just check the failures so i thought.
    What did it fail on?
  • colonelmad
    Options
    Fleet & Workshop Services
    Synergy Park
    Chesney Wold
    Bleak Hall
    Milton Keynes
    MK6 1LY
    E: fleet@milton-keynes.gov.uk
    T: 01908 252852
  • jemayhew
    Options
    I regularly recieve Martin's newsletters and this is my first time posting on the forum.
    I would just like to say a huge thanks for bringing the council MOT test centres to my attention. I realised that my MOT was due 4 days before the renewal date, so today I rang the Croydon test centre and they had an appointment for 1.30pm today. My car passed with only the £50 test fee to pay (the tester also replaced a bulb for me)
    Im so pleased considering last year I felt I had been ripped off £400 repairs for my 12 year old micra...:j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback