Determined diva's get outta debt diary!

Options

Comments

• Determined_diva
    Options
    Just checking in... well I have worked out that if I keep paying the bills off like I have been doing it will take me a staggering 10 years to pay my debts off!!! I will not allow this to happen to me! I had a good chat with Ninja Saving Kat and realise that I have spent£240 on shopping in 3 weeks!! I have no pets... I have NO KIDS.... I have NO HUSBAND!! What the hell am I buying?? And I have lost 3 stone in weight this past year lol!!

So I am feeling very annoyed with myself that I am repeating the same mistakes and its half way through the year and I am now having another light bulb moment! I suppose the good thing is that I havent got to the end of the year before realising it :-)

Question - do you pay your debts as soon as you get paid and then starve/not go out etc all month, or try and be good then pay back what you can at the end of the month?

Hold it there - I know which one I have been doing and it quite clearly hasnt worked, so new strategy for me from next week I think.. pay debt first and then go skint for the month! Wow this is scary.. reality bites dont it!!

Evening all - off to update my budget and get it in place as I get paid next week.

DDx
    Started again 25th December 2017
    Current tracking - £7,955.84/ £18,282.25 to pay off. (31.12.19)
  • Determined_diva
    Options
    Things I am thankful for today:

1. The weather, I am loving that it is not too hot/cold
    2. My sky TV, I know I should cut it off, but I am defo going to need it in the next 6 months!
    3. Ninja Saving Kat
  • Determined_diva
    Options
    Today I have been sitting back (I admit with a glass of wine ) reflecting on life.
    I mentioned earlier that it would take me a staggering 10 years to pay off my £9,000 debt at the rate I am paying it off and it made me think: is it worth being in debt for 10 years whereby I wouldn't be able to get a mortgage or clean credit history for a further 6 years after that, or be absolutely skint for a year and can then cut the rope that is round my neck? I know the answer and it really has just been me holding myself back. I am still working on how my mind has been working but i already recognise that I am a true "live for the moment" person inherited by my parent school of thought too.

The "laughable" thing is, my parent are in over £100k of debt and about to be re possessed due to non payment of mortgage. Instead of me moaning that I have someone continuously staying with me, I need to (not in a nasty way) look at them and think "is the life I want in 20 years" ??

Well of course not! I need to free my self and stop keeping up with the jones for a year, to allow me to re build my damaged credit file and look to the future.
    I am single, and I know I would feel terribly embarrassed if I had to admit we couldn't buy a house together as I am in debt/ bad credit file. I need to start working on this today. I may still be single in 7 years time ( 1 yr to clear debt + 6 years to repair credit file) but so what! I need to get the wheels in motion so that I can start LIVING WITHOUT WORRY.

I enjoy my social life it's true, but seriously these people won't be around for me when I need them let's be honest. So from this day forward, i am going to
    A. Keep my bar job as that can be my social night out whilst earning money, until I pay debt off.. Only then can I quit
    B. throw everything at my debts and realise I got myself into this so I need to get myself out of it

DDx
  • Determined_diva
    Options
    Dear diary,
    just checking in to let you know that my debt has increased :-(.

I decided to get on 0% interest free loan to further my education to enable me to career swap and earn a higher wage in the meantime.

I'm so sorry for not waiting to be debt free, but I want to earn money to pay debt off quicker which I can now do in 7-8 months. I shall now earn approx. £ 30ph-50ph rather than my current £18ph.

I promise to you that I will keep my main job and have this new career on the side to earn even more cash to become debt free. Only then will I consider leaving my current role

DDx
  • Determined_diva
    Determined_diva Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 August 2013 at 11:19AM
    Options
    I've had the most annoying day and I really don't know what to do... Any advice gladly welcome.
    A family member has been living with me on my sofa in my studio bedsit flat for 2 1/2 years now.

She lost her job and has since been temping to make ends meet. Her home is 10 miles from a tube statio. With buses running 2x day and stopping at 5pm

We had a discussion about it back in nov 2012 about her not staying here anymore but come January she was back as she had to take all the temping work she could get (finishing sometimes at 10pm) to be able to save 2 months deposit for a room which she could work for and stay at and be out of mine in march 2013. Once that happened she paid the rent at £650pm but yet was still living at mine. The latest lie was that she would be out of mine end June when I sat her down and explained that I love her but I need to live my life, it's been over 2 years and I cannot have a social life at mine due to it being so small and her living in my living room.

You know where this is going ........ She couldn't afford the rent so lost the place and is still at mine. Now the eta was end July/ August

Now she is aiming to rent a room so she can do her therapy treatment at a cost of £60-£70 per day!! I've said to her today " surely you need to concentrate on getting a home?" She hasn't even got regular clients yet or built up a base!!! She reckons she is doing a discount voucher through wowcher/ groupon type place, but after the fees are taken she will ear. About a fiver once she has paid for the room to do it out of!!! And they have 3 months to redeem it in!! Therefore I've calculated it will be 5 months at earliest before she is out ( 3 months to do the deals, 2 months to save up and book somewhere where they want a month in advance). This will bring it up to 3 years!!!

She is here not even helping me replace the tea bags she used or the toilet roll ( I know it sounds so petty but this has just been building up)

So tonight she had lots of stuff round mine that she would of needed to do several 3 hour bus journeys to drop off at hers ( still not re possessed!!!!!) so I offered to take her out for a drink and then drop her home... Got all the way there and she forgot her keys at mine!!! Had to go back home and do the journey again. In car for 2 hours, burnt petrol and all I got was a "thanks, lovely" after putting in a tenner to get her home and use 2 hours and mileage of my time plus the £15 in The pub beforehand.

Honest answers ; a. Am I a complete mug. B. what do I do??

I know if I say you gotta be out it will affect her earnings due to temping shifts finishing, but I also think she has no plan for how I feel and will keep dragging this out for as long as I let her??
    DDx
  • Determined_diva
    Options
    Just checking in today to say that I forgot my packed lunch :-(

I also calculated that out of my total £15k debt it is broken I to 3 categories:

Debt against my name as default - £8.5k
    Debt need to pay back as education loan - £3k (regular DD of £111)
    Debt to myself, I borrowed from my savings pot - £3.5k

Therefore I am going to concentrate on the default debt so I can then start re building my credit file to enable me to maybe one day have a mortgage..:-)

The education debt will take 2 years so that should finish the same time I am debt free. This will just mean I then pay myself back in my savings funds.

To not make my debt so scary I will therefore be pretending that my debt is £8.5k and chip away at all this way

DDx
  • Determined_diva
    Determined_diva Posts: 661 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 August 2013 at 11:20AM
    Options
    Dear diary

2nd job done yesterday earning £44.25 for 4 hours work.

I wasn't in a great frame of mind though as my boss in my main job really pushed my buttons yesterday. It made me think that if I was debt free and had savings I could leave if I wanted to :-(

Oh well hopefully that pushes me on to become debt free ASAP!!

Happy weekend everyone
    DDx
  • Determined_diva
    Options
    Hellol all

Hope everyone is having a lovely sunday morning!

So today i need to so some food shopping and tidy the house up

I had been invited to go to a festival today but reluctantly declined. Its like £50 to get in, £30 min on cabs and then the drinks are double dear! I want to be debt free next year so that I can go knowing that the money could of been used to chip away at the debt.

so i shall be going to the gym today instead to pund the running machine with my anger of not being debt free still.

It is so funny that in school i never thought I would end up in this position.. the school me thought that by my 30's I would have children, husband and a lovely home somewhere. In reality, I have no kids, no husband, rent a bedsit off the council and massively in debt!

I need to keep strong and KNOW that I can get through this.. I CAN do it and I WILL do this. Just keep strong!!
    DDx
  • laurag89
    laurag89 Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey! Just thought I would say I have read through your diary and you seem to be doing really well. We all have times where we manage to fall of the wagon and lose sight of why were trying to cut back so much to clear the debt.

But reading this, I am really inspired by your determination! Think I will also be using your idea of reviewing the financial situation every 3-6months.

Just off to subscribe to your thread! Keep going :)
    Total debt to pay: £14,071.41/ Remaining debt: £12,884.12: Amount Paid: £1,187.29

Survey xmas 2018 savings: £10 / £150
  • Determined_diva
    Options
    Hi Laura g

thankyou for stopping by and taking the time to post!
    DDx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback