Green Deal MSE Guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• Former_MSE_Darryl
    Options
    "The Government's Green Deal scheme, which aims to help people make energy efficient home improvements, is continuing to make a slow start, new figures show..."
    Read the full story:

Green Deal energy scheme slow to warm up

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "The main problem" is surely the extortionate interest rate on the loans which must put off anyone who can web bothered to read the small print.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 June 2013 at 4:50AM
    Options
    joey66 wrote: »

Households that qualify for ECO can get work done completely free of charge - the energy companies have targets to reach by 2015 so they have to spend the money. You won't have to pay for the assessment or for any of the work - although you won't be able to claim cashback on this!

Happy to answer questions on this - I work on ECO for a small charity/think-tank that works with local authorities, so am not touting for business. There is info online (DECC and Ofgem websites) but some of it is somewhat impenetrable!

I am finding it difficult to understand in numeric terms what ECO subsidy is available for hard to treat solid wall homes.

Let us take the following example of a typical Victorian terrace house:

Front Elevation:
    14' wide with a flat front, ground floor is door and one large sash window.
    1st floor is a similar sash window and a smaller sash lighting a box room that is now the bathroom.
    Because there is attractive patterned brick detailing, the occupants want internal insulation.

Rear Elevation:
    2/3rd rear extension with a 1/3rd side return sticking out 10' (ie on the ground floor there is a galley kitchen and probably a WC sticking out into the yard.
    1st floor has two bedrooms, the internal one is about 10ft wide and has a sash window in the corner next to the party wall, over the kitchen there is a narrower bedroom, with another sash window looking out over the rear garden.

Assume there are no major issues with down pipes and other vents. The occupants want the rear brickwork, walls of 14' wide and 10' long, externally insulated and rendered.

The occupants are "empty nesters" middle aged and not in receipt of benefits.

What ECO subsidy to the installer would be available in £s .............?
  • Coulsdon_Town
    Options
    Further to my post #540, I've heard a suggestion that most of the 82,000 measures the new stats say have been installed under ECO could be some kind of accounting carry-over from the previous grant scheme. Will let all know if I hear more.
    A cynic is not merely one who reads bitter lessons from the past; he is one who is prematurely disappointed in the future. Sidney J. Harris
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 July 2013 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Further to my post #540, I've heard a suggestion that most of the 82,000 measures the new stats say have been installed under ECO could be some kind of accounting carry-over from the previous grant scheme. Will let all know if I hear more.

The proof that prior credits from CESP and CERT have been 'inserted' into the GD / ECO to make the stats look good will be interesting, but not a surprise Coulsdon Town

The claim in the first quarterly Green Deal and ECO statistics that finally came out yesterday. For those who prefer the pictorial representation of the stats see below :

kine1950ill-green-deal-poor-take-up-infographic.gif?w=827&h=2849

Over 5,000 cashback vouchers have been issued and nearly 1,000 paid and only 245 Green Deal Finance Plans for individual households are now on the way through the system. So they've spent shedloads of mi££ions on promotion, paid 1000 sets of incentive money to householders, and that has resulted in only 25% or 245 people 'going through' a finance system that does not yet function and is not expected to function till the end of the year at the earliest according to Minister of State Greg Barker.

Only step 6 of the 5 step plan will convince me that Green Deal or ECO is doing anything at all for our people. Here in the Northern Hemisphere our Summer Solstice occurred around June 21st so literally the days are getting shorter, we are no where near either Green Deal or ECO. A great idea badly executed, a scheme great in principle remaining as dead as a duck in Sir Peter Viggers £1,600 duck-house.

.1. Assessment
    .2. Recommendations
    .3. Quotes
    .4. Signing a plan
    .5. Installation

.6. Step 6 satisfactory completed installation and sign-off

For those who remember :

peter-vigger-duck-_1407400c.jpg
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • WoodbridgeRoad
    Options
    Hi all - my first post so do not be too hard on me! Anybody who is interested in external wall insulation - be patient and read to the end.

I have been struggling through the process - I live in an old house with some single brick walls and some double brick solid walls. After last winter, we decided it was worth trying to get external wall insulation done and get some grant assistance.

The first difficulty was to get a Green Deal assessment - I eventually did get one and was lucky enough not to pay for it as Suffolk County Council paid for the first 500 via Aran. But it would seem that the companies who are also providers prioritise the surveys for people who are likely to need the services which they are able to provide.

The survey did recommend wall insulation - but although providers and installers say they can access funds, there has been no firm evidence of this. But driving about you can see external wall insulation work going on to housing association etc properties (ie a number of properties being done at a time)

I got a bit fed up and wrote to Gregory Barker who is the Minister for the Dept of Energy and Climate Change. The response I got from his civil servant was the usual standard response, but I had copied the letter to my local MP, who also sent it to Gregory Barker.

That got a proper response which included 'Obligated energy suppliers have complete discretion as to how they meet their legislative targets....There is no entitlement to a grant..... We understand that ECO obligated energy suppliers may not currently be supporting single one off installations because of the high costs involved.

So I guess I will press on and get planning permission (I live in a conservation area) and hope that maybe next year ECO grants may be available for individual external wall insulation installations.

Anyone know of a provider who has managed to secure ECO funding for external wall insulation for a single property?
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    One of the drivers is the looming requirement for landlords to achieve an energy performance rating of better than "F" before 2016 or have their property banned from the rental market.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/mortgages/9888335/Green-Deal-warning-for-buy-to-let-landlords.html
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Makes sense, along with other compulsory measures. Cheaper and safer than subsidies to build nuclear.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    One of the drivers is the looming requirement for landlords to achieve an energy performance rating of better than "F" before 2016 or have their property banned from the rental market.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/mortgages/9888335/Green-Deal-warning-for-buy-to-let-landlords.html

Already houses for let in my area that have been empty for months and months on end. Single glazed windows and no insulation and no modern combi/condensing gas boiler, just a 1980s gas fire and back boiler. No one is going to rent them when they can rent a house in the same street with all mod cons.
  • John_Pierpoint
    edited 30 June 2013 at 10:31AM
    Options
    I rather fear "all mod cons" usually means a new kitchen and bathroom.
    I have this theory that teh quality of the cooking seems to be an inverse relationship with the cost of the kitchen ?

Hands up anyone who has shown round a potential tenant/purchaser, who has started a discussion with "can I have my copy of the EPC?"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure