British Gas - Licence to print money

Options
A couple of years ago I subscribed to the British Gas Homecare 200 for annual boiler servicing and repairs. Admittedly it was explained that there was a £99.00 excess charge applicable and I accept that this was set out in further detail in British Gas' Terms and Conditions. Admittedly, like many others I failed to give them more than a cursory glance; assuming that the excess charge operated on the basis that the client paid an amount UP TO that of the excess. Thus, if a repair was required and the parts came to £120 then the client pays £99.00. Conversely, if the cost of the parts amounted to £20 then the customer pays £20.

British Gas, however, appear to have turned this into a cash generator.

In September British Gas carried out an annual service on my boiler during which the engineer advise that some insulating pads would require replacement. These apparently cost a total of about £15 but the engineer and, subsequently, British Gas themselves confirmed that I would have to pay the full excess charge of £99.

This means - again confirmed by British Gas - that if a further unrelated fault occurs I am liable for yet a further £99 irrespective of the cost of parts.

I am aware that very few parts of a boiler, except possibly the circuitry, cost anywhere near this amount.

Does anyone understand the logic of this scheme?:mad:

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    wennol2 wrote: »
    Does anyone understand the logic of this scheme?:mad:

Yes - see the title of your thread!
  • wennol2
    Options
    I do wonder who falls for it. None of my neighbours use it. They put their trust in a hard working local registered gas/CH engineer
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Probably more appropriate to post about British Gas in the energy forum where mains gas and electricity are discussed, this forum is specifically for off grid LPG, Heating Oil, solid fuel etc.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you pay, what? £12 pm for homecare 200?

Why not open a savings account and put £144 a year into it? Then use that to pay for a service (every couple of years?) and to pay a local engineer for any breakdowns. Chances are you'll gradually build up cash in that account and be able to afford a weekend away every year out of it too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure