I have been duped by an old friend (£200). What are my options?

Options

Comments

• ldsfit
    ldsfit Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    The transfer was made to his name. So if it was a scammer, why send the money to the real accounts bank?
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The name on the transfer is irrelevant.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    The name on the transfer is irrelevant.
    Correct..... I bet the recipient was waiting by an ATM to get a message on his/her banking app to say money had arrived ......then withdrawn........NEVER to be seen again.

OP put it down to experience but you have been scammed.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,887 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 May 2018 at 6:28PM
    Options
    ldsfit wrote: »
    It's £200 and i can get over it. However, it's the principle. I don't know his address, although he mentioned where he lived and what he did for a Job. Funnily enough, i actually believe his job role as he mentioned things about it that somebody just wouldn't make up on the spot. Either that, or he's a brilliant fraudster. Ha!

This type of thing or scams very similar, crop up all the time on these forums, not one poster in the last 10 years has ever come back to update us they have got their money back, so that should tell you something.

Its not nice to be scammed especially by someone you think you know, he probebley is a fraudster, people tend to change sometimes.

I`d put it down to experience and move on to be honest as the process to recover what he owes you can take a very long time, and be very costly, lots of people ignore CCJ`s, as without further enforcement action (and cost) they are really quite meaningless to some people.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The transfer was made to his name. So if it was a scammer, why send the money to the real accounts bank?

Ignoring the fact that names mean nothing when doing a bank transfer. Don't you get it; your old friend is the scammer, he lied about someone paying you the money In cash to scam you out of £200.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Guys, I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond but please read the OP.

I had a phone conversation with him and a Facebook conversation with him, the same account I have conversed with over the years. He has also sent me texts AFTER the money was sent. It’s not a “scam”. Besides, why would a scammer continue to converse once they have the cash?

Because they know your an easy target and hope to extract more money from you.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Ok so it wasn't a scammer, locate him using the electoral register and see if hes home, if hes home then you know you have been done.
  • ldsfit
    ldsfit Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I’ve looked back over our previous conversation and it’s definitely him and not an impersonation as he mentioned something that I said at school.
  • Sarastro
    Sarastro Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Go to the police or suck it up.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income