PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    I'm also like you where I live, at least 10 big supermarkets within a 10 minute drive, not forgetting all the smaller ones!

Ohhhhhh, a very green Rising here ....:o nearest one is an 18 mile round trip, another also 18 miles round trip (different direction) and next about a 25 mile round trip in ... yup, you guessed it, another direction.

Makes whoopsies a very rare occurrence as just now worth the fuel .....:(
    tracey12 wrote: »
    Don't assume that larger packets are cheaper for example pasta 500g and 1kg. It is sometimes cheaper to buy 2 small packets then 1 big packet.

Would 2nd this - things that are really bad are bags of Rice & Pasta, but have also noticed Coffee / Teabags / Sugar etc too!
    ClaireT13 wrote: »
    Not posted for a few days as had DS's birthday party to organise then I fractured my wrist and got concussion :(

Ouch Claire ... hope it's a bit better now (((hugs)))
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    mummyyof5 wrote: »
    we got through 54 pints of milk last week :eek::eek:

Ohhhhhhhh mmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyy :eek::eek:
    What is SoW please?

It's a spreadsheet developed by Cheryl (CW18) on which you can record your monthly outgoings / spends on things like groceries / toiletries etc and very kindly shared with those of us (ie me!) who aren't able to produce anything nearly as sophisticated!

Available here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=39711066&postcount=360

Well, no new spends for me - have had a yummy dinner of turkey breasts coated in porridge oats (wheat intolerant) and have another one in the freezer for another time.:)

Really hoping to be able to have an underspend this month ..... need to get a buffer in the pot!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • janiepopps
    Options
    Plus got a job today, Hurrayyy!

Congratulations! Hope you really enjoy it :D
    Jan '12 GC; £74.66/£100
    £2 saver club member #107
    :grin:
  • Beccatje
    Beccatje Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    Spent 2.40 today.

We had leftover-dinner. I had a big pot of chilli left from earlier this week.
    Half a white cabbage sitting in the fridge got sliced, an old piece of cheese got grated and half a jar of garlic sauce went with it as well.

I just bought two loafs of Turkish bread, and a small tubb of sour cream.
    and it was absolutely lovely.

[IMG][/img]th_broodje.jpg

And I was stuffed after just one piece!
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know..have bought another 16 pints today :mad:..there are 8 of us but its still so much and eats up most of my budget:(:(

Shopping in MrMs came to £63.90...off to add to sig...
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Options
    Eeekk a third gone already
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Congrats moneysaver13:j:j:j
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • Beccatje
    Beccatje Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't post yesterday.. but I did buy some food yesterday.
    The Supermarket did a special on fruit. I got a big box of fruit (6 kilo's!) for 4,99. Which is absolutely brilliant.
    I got apples, satsuma's and pears. And it is all lovely fresh and crisp.

I love bargains like that.

Just a few more days to go till payday and the end of this budget. It's getting tight.. but I have to stick with it. (there simply isn't any more..haha)
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I made a slight diversion on my way home and popped to Sainsbury's....I can't lie, I was in search of reduced chocolate oranges. There was one, reduced to £1.75 so I passed! I was hoping for around the 50p mark.

I did however, find some other bits reduced: -

2 x 600ml double cream were £1.90 each - reduced to 49p
    Moroccan houmous was £1.39 - reduced to 34p (will freeze for lunches when I start my new job)
    Cheesestrings were £1.38 - reduced to 49p (handy for me to take to college as I don't generally have dinner on those nights :))
    Crumpets were 85p - reduced to 49p

Not fantastic reductions, but better than nothing.

Normal prices were a pack of 4 x mince pies for 30p and 2pts milk.

I didn't actually eat many mince pies over Christmas and really fancied some and they were a bit of a bargain (and lovely...I had to test one)
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • ModestyB
    ModestyB Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    Options
    ClaireT13 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Not posted for a few days as had DS's birthday party to organise then I fractured my wrist and got concussion :(

Anyway, the upside is that the only expenditure has been on essentials like bread and milk. DH hasn't kept all the receipts :mad: so I am adding £15.00 to my totals to take account of it all - that is probably overdoing it.

Our month ends on the 24th as that is our pay day but we have all cleaning / toiletries and meat stocked so fingers crossed we should be fine.

Thanks for all the useful tips on this thread!

Claire

Hi Claire, that sounds very painful. Hope you'll be feeling better soon.
    ((((Hugs))))
    S.P.C. 9 2016 No. 062 Banked £337.50
    My Gold Stars off Sue. :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin :staradmin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure