The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that you had a lovely weekend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Smurphington
    Smurphington Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

I am armed and dangerous now, Silver Queen, as I today purchased a tin of mandarins (unfortunately in syrup :()
    Is this because you are finding mandarins in juice hard to come by?? There is none in my usual haunts and my mr A has stopped selling mixed beans and don't get me started on green lentils :)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this because you are finding mandarins in juice hard to come by?? There is none in my usual haunts and my mr A has stopped selling mixed beans and don't get me started on green lentils :)

No, Smurphington - in this instance it was that my eye spied upon them in h3r0n and I want to try out the lentil/mandarin curry recipe :D I realise I probably could have saved....... 10p???? by buying mrS basics mandarins????? (do they still stock such things????) But I rarely get within 10000 paces of a mrS these days, so i took what i could get. The syrup will be rinsed off, but it's just a nuisance it's syrup is all.

Glad it's not just me that has noticed the lentil shortage. I see there were no red lentils in our local HB the other day - no shelf space for them. They seem to be crowding out the area with processed noodles and packet insta-meals. Which have their place in life/meal plans/useage, but so do 'raw' ingredients :mad:

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Greying, for the spiced tagine recipe, you really do need the light syrup type! The recipe has a fair amount of vinegar and lemon juice in it so extra sugar makes a big difference to the recipe, so don't rinse them just yet!! Sometimes I make it with a fresh orange if we've got one to hand, and if I do that I have to add in a teaspoon of sugar or it doesn't taste quite right.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Greying, for the spiced tagine recipe, you really do need the light syrup type! The recipe has a fair amount of vinegar and lemon juice in it so extra sugar makes a big difference to the recipe, so don't rinse them just yet!! Sometimes I make it with a fresh orange if we've got one to hand, and if I do that I have to add in a teaspoon of sugar or it doesn't taste quite right.

ooooooh - top tips! Thanks Silver Queen :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Am I allowed to admit that it's gotten marginally, ever-so-slightly, just a tadge, too blessed hot for me?

I don't do well in el scorchio sunshine :( I do like the sunshine - I like spring and autumn sunny days - lovely and uplifting without getting burn to a crisp in a nano-second. But I'm flagging at the mo :(

I have a wonderful opportunity to hook up with a loverly chumski today, and I'm so looking forward to it - we've not seen each other for an age. But we're meeting in the middle of the day, and I'm starting to panic about getting too hot. Hopefully if I take sensible precautions, it will be good enough.

We had meditteranean pasta for tea. Pasta has been a big feature of meals lately. But naturally, the weather has pushed fresh food prices through the roof. I've no-one to blame but myself, but it is hard to know how to walk distances in scorchio sunshine - which I would have to do to access the cheaper supermarkets. And DH is wonderful and does his best - he really does - but he still hasn't gained an 'instinct for shopping' - to know what's a good price, what's going to make 403 meals, what's complimentary to what we have in house. A shopping list has to become 'war&peace'-esque in what to look for/selection criteria/available funding......... :rotfl: And I'm soooo easy to live with....... :rotfl::p [and am sending self up if not clear...... ;):p]

Hence, I have no idea what is for tea tonight. I've not even thought about a picnic lunch yet...... oh lawks.

Tomorrow, I shall be sat in the house all day with the blinds drawn. Poor BG - I hope I can entertain them in the stigian gloom....... :(

I wish I could post a more up-beat report - it is summer after all.

Right. I best go and get my thinking cap on NOW. Otherwise I will be full of big smiles but empty snap boxes later in the day! :(

Ta for popping by. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Smurphington
    Smurphington Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    Greying I'm with you on the heat. I love all the seasons but especially spring and autumn. However I'm struggling. I'm a pale and interesting sort and walking the 40 minute journey from work that is usually a breeze is more of an epic trek at present! I have a bag of spinach from mr A to use up but I'm struggling for inspiration to use it in something other than a curry or soup. I'm tempted just to buy some pitta bread and make some falafels but can I bear making them in this heat . Sorry I'm making your post more negative x
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

Went the day well?

Turned out spiffing for us :D:D:D

Well, thank goodness my 'home economics' (:rotfl:) brain took over and I quickly developed a plan to construct 'summat' fer lunch. It took all morning :( But it meant we had; individual patatas bravas frittatas; lemony grilled courgette, red pepper and black olive pasta. a 'red fruit' salad and a chocolate cherry bun to eat up :D On a picnic blankie, under a tree :D:D:D

I followed Jack's recipe for patatas bravas - the only thing I did was to pat dry my tinned tatties before putting them in hot oil - to avoid spittage. But you'll note from the recipe, Jack puts the tatties in cold oil, so...... maybe no spitty??? Also, I started off in a conventional saucepan - I reverted to a non-stick frying pan in the end. The tatties weren't crisping, and the bottom of the saucepan was looking increasingly irredeemable.......... Anyhoo, the frittatas - which included a smidgen of feta, alongside eggs, yoghurt, herbs and seasoning, were, actually, really quite tasty :j

One of the good things about 'being of aged years.......' is not that you can become an old cumudgeon, batting dissenters, contrarians or heretics wif a waggling cane. It is that you can be truthful without fear of 'loss'. You can be truthful and say that the heat is too much, and that you are scared of getting burnt to a crisp because of your complexion and that you have no desire to keel over with heat-exhaustion...... And your chum says, 'yeh, I have those worries too'. And so you enjoy your social meeting, in the shade, away from the fierce sun, and you choose routes that are shady and allow you to progress from A to B without getting burnt, grouchy or a combination of A+B.... :rotfl::cool: Hurrah for being of advanced years..... :T

Tea was a dollop of all that was left, with the inclusion (for me) of brown rice, as i couldn't face pasta again, and some wild rocket that DH picked up - and he AVOIDED the manky looking stuff and went looking for better :j Whoo-hoo!!!! :D I also ran a ribbon of harissa paste through some pizza topping to make a zingy tommy sauce, which matched the frittatas well :D

Lunch was all from 'stores' whether that was 'fresh', dried, tinned or frozen and we had more than enough to sustain us, as my chum bought provisions too :D

Tea was leftovers + the wild rocket, so reasonably frugal :D

DH bought groceries, so not a nsd, but definitely a lsd for the 'bang for buckness' that we achieved :D

Today I am grateful for;

hook-ups with chums :D

old-fashioned picnics - we had cutlery and 'crockery' too! :rotfl:

the weather playing ball and giving a bit of leeway for us milk-bottle types........... ;)

Ta for popping by.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Frittata has become the picnic/snack of choice here recently, it is so easy and you can add virtually anything to the basic mix of cheese, eggs, potato, onion - current favourite is broccoli and cherry tomatoes but also like asparagus, peppers, mushroom, courgette or just plain!
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I do like a wee frittata :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure