BT going back on our deal

Hi.
When my BT contract was coming to an end sometime in April, I checked out my options in MyBT. I saw an offer priced at £0.00, so went for it. Great. They sent an email confirmation of my 'order'.

Yesterday, I receive a letter saying they had made a mistake. From next month they say I will be charged £36.99 for 18 months.

I know I can change provider within 14 days if I so wish, but I wonder if they can do this. A contract is a contract after all. I'm sure if I mistakenly entered into a contract, I wouldn't be able to wriggle out of it after 2 months.

Do I have a right to insist they stick to the deal we made?

Thanks.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 July 2018 at 11:51AM
    Terms and conditions is part of your contract .
    Read them and see if they have a mistakes clause get out

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/terms/
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Contracts can be voided for obvious mistakes.

A contract can be voided under common law rules for mistake in the following situations:

• Common mistake (where the mistake is shared by both parties, is fundamental and directly affects the basic definition of what the parties are contracting for). The mistake will render the contract void if it robs it of all substance.

• Mutual mistake (where the parties are at cross-purposes with one another). If, from the parties!!!8217; words and conduct, only one possible interpretation of what was agreed can be deduced, the contract will still be valid. Otherwise it will be void.

• Unilateral mistake (where one party is mistaken and the other knows or ought to have known of the mistake). If the mistake relates to the fundamental nature of the offer the contract can be voided.

https://uk.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/7-107-6849?transitionType=Default&contextData=(sc.Default)&firstPage=true&comp=pluk&bhcp=1

In law you're likely to be regarded as realising that a cost of zero wasn't right.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Generally speaking, genuine errors are not legally binding.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • jewelly
    jewelly Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks everyone for your responses. It looks as if they have it covered in their terms and conditions where they say they can change the charges for any other reason. Basically, they can do whatever they want for whatever reason.

I've had free broadband from other providers in the past (but paid line rental), so thought they were offering a similar thing to loyal customers. Oh wait - they don't reward existing customers!
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jewelly wrote: »
    I've had free broadband from other providers in the past (but paid line rental), so thought they were offering a similar thing to loyal customers. Oh wait - they don't reward existing customers!
    Sites like MSE, uswitch etc. killed the concept of businesses rewarding customer loyalty. You reap what you sow.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    jewelly wrote: »
    Hi.
    When my BT contract was coming to an end sometime in April, I checked out my options in MyBT. I saw an offer priced at £0.00, so went for it. Great. They sent an email confirmation of my 'order'.

Yesterday, I receive a letter saying they had made a mistake. From next month they say I will be charged £36.99 for 18 months.

I know I can change provider within 14 days if I so wish, but I wonder if they can do this. A contract is a contract after all. I'm sure if I mistakenly entered into a contract, I wouldn't be able to wriggle out of it after 2 months.

Do I have a right to insist they stick to the deal we made?

Thanks.
    There is no consideration and therefore no contract!
  • I'm in the same situation, did you manage to stick to the original deal or negotiate a better deal than the £36.99 one they are offering?
  • I also signed up to this contract offering free landline and broadband for 12 months, I also managed to get BT tv for free for 12 months. I have also received a letter stating that they made a mistake and have also been offered an alternative of £36.99. This doesn't seem fair. I still have the screenshots stating that it was £0.00 a month for 12 months. Is there no way that this can be challenge this?
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    ^^ Did you not read the other replies ??
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    It can certainly be challenged, the question is whether or not you will be successful. I suspect that you won't and you are better off looking for the best alternative deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure