What colour would you say this wall is?

Options

Comments

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a similar colour in my downstairs loo. It's called Alfie by B&Q it's a kind of taupe.
    Beware of buying too dark a shade because in that photo, it's low light.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • patb303
    Options
    Looks very similar to Crown 'Sidewalk' (which we have in our front room).

However, most room setups in Ikea have a small notice on the wall with bits of information about the room. There's usually a colour code for the wall paint and most of these seem to be Dulux codes. I do have a picture on my phone somewhere that I took a year or so ago, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.
  • singhini
    Options
    I think its grey!

There's a book called 50 shades of grey (you might find it in there?)

Theres a funny joke in there somewhere, it must be the way you say them:)
  • Cats_are_great
    Options
    I think they use Johnstones paint for their room sets if so it will be an NCS 2 colour, if you go into a Johnstones decorating centre they have colour swatches, just get those that are close to the colour and put them against the wall in idea.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    tiz wrote: »
    Get some colour charts and go back and hold them against the wall - you won't get very close trying to match a photo and colours online as they'll look different depending on your screen.

Exactly. There's not a hope of identifying a colour like that in a room with "mixed lighting" (basically several different colours of light source) without checking, and setting the white balance for a small area of wall, and without colour profiles being applied to the camera, and the viewing device.

You also have to realise that any colour is going to look subtly different depending on the lighting you have in the room where you are intending to use it.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can't help I'm afraid. Colour blind..
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • dalehitchy
    Options
    Ok so I went back to IKEA. Turns out they have a little information poster on each room to tell you exactly what paint and floor they used.

Funnily enough I actually bought the tester pot of what they used but I thought it was a darker then the one In the photo.

The colour was 'Dark Horse' ... It was B&Q's own brand paint. It's deffo more of a dark brown more than a grey but it does have elements of both colours. Think they were quite accurate with the colour description.
  • Kohl
    Kohl Posts: 31 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for settling this one!

Looking at the Dark Horse colour online, I would have said that was far too deep a brown - it definitely looks more grey/taupe to me. Just goes to show how difficult it is to judge paint when buying online!
  • dalehitchy
    Options
    Kohl wrote: »
    Thanks for settling this one!

Looking at the Dark Horse colour online, I would have said that was far too deep a brown - it definitely looks more grey/taupe to me. Just goes to show how difficult it is to judge paint when buying online!

Even with the tester pot of the same colour .... It looks more brown in my room then it does at IKEA. Obviously lighting changes the look of the paint colour but I think the black furniture also makes it look more of a grey then a brown.
  • scottishblondie
    Options
    if you go back and find a member of staff they may well be able to tell you the brand and colour. We spotted some tiles in an Ikea kitchen display that we really liked, and a very helpful member of staff toddled off and found out the supplier and tile name for us. Make sure and go at a quiet time though, or you won't stand a chance of getting someone who has the time to do that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure