We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The all new 2019 growing your own thread!

Options

Comments

• MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hadn't really got the hang of this sowing veg seeds thing and only put 3 / 4 seeds of each variety in 7cm pots but I am getting growth with seed leaves in each pot sown with Tomato seeds so hoping I may end up with a few viable plants
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,927 Forumite
    Options
    Mystery me, if they're growing 3-4 plants will be enough.

The only gardening I got done yesterday was watering, and then sitting in the sun.

Must do better.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I got a lot done yesterday, little odds & ends, repotted my garlic chives, sowed some really out of date tomatoes (christmas grape), so I'm nearly up to date with sowing. Might get my peas in (blauwschokker coincidentally, Monty is years behind me on that one), want to get some more cornflower & nasturtiums sown, and there's a neglected lavender to repot. Then there's a copper planter I need to re-solder. Not figured out how I'm going to do that yet with one hand, but I've got plenty of clamps to work with

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Some great posts and progress, everyone. I returned from hols to a tray each of peppers and tomatoes - only 3 casualties where the cat seems to have taken to putting her paws in the small pots to see out of the window! - The Cat sitter kindly watered and turned them while we were away.

We have spent the last two days outside - DH mostly building rabbit fencing for my raised beds and me slashing, gathering, digging and clearing just one very overgrown area that is adjacent to the vegetable garden.

I found hypericum especially has thrown its runners under the membrane that is under the paving slabs and gravel path - I could not believe my eyes when I peeled it back - black cords everywhere. So the whole path is up to force it back. I have also been dealing with brambles and most hated periwinkle and nettles in the same bed. Underneath all these rampant invaders there is a beautiful rockery bounded area with some lovely plants but it remains to be seen what has survived.

In F&V news I have planted courgettes, cucumbers, butternut squashes, runner and dwarf beans, all in half seed trays and they are all in my little greenhouse - some on the ground so hopefully not too low for a late ground frost here in Suffolk. Together with the peppers and tomatoes all the benching is covered and I have resorted to using the top of a water tank as an overspill planting area.

I still need to plant hanging baskets (with flowers!) and more salad and root veg seeds but that will be tomorrow as we are off to friends today for a welcome break.

Dizzy Ditsy - your black grape is most likely Black Homburg - if it is, you are in good company - that is what is at Hampton Court Palace - I remember being impressed when we lived near there and their variety was the same as that in our Victorian Greenhouse, when I was a child. The RHS site has some good tips for growing vines - suggests you plant outside your greenhouse or conservatory but train it in, for instance.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Busy here, but just wanted to report that the blueberry plants are in bloom and the bees are loving them! :) (DD not so keen on the bees, I've had to move her playtable lol). What a glorious weekend! Hope you're all able to make the most of it and enjoy your sunshine :) x
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a weekend we're having - stay sun save everyone from your friendly neighbourhood sun allergy sufferer LOL

I did 4 hours yesterday and today, 1pm is my out of the sun time.
    I've managed quite a bit, digging out 3 beds, planting the large gifted rosemary which was in a huge pot, it's now in the ground with my old barrow planter - which has been emptied and will be replanted as a 'salad barrow ' and should be semi slug\snail safe.

I've put 80 onion sets in, and 25 garlic.
    My plot neighbour gave me 3 different types of kale so they've gone in. He's offered me some cabbages too which I'll get Monday when I'm next there.

No signs of my direct down beetroot, beans or radishes so will try again.
    I may throw some radish on alongside the garlic.

Attempting to repurpose and old trampoline frame (the circular part) as it has some uprights which I'm planning on inserting some bamboo canes and forming a teepee for beans and they'll be planted in with some honey boat squashes I have which are itching to go out.

Also continued the pathway covering mission with my stock of newspaper. If nothing else it'll control the weed growth a little for now.

Still in bed of a bonfire and clearing for the polytunnel. Might put that down as Monday's mission as it should be a tad cooler with some cloud cover.

Really should write myself a list .... Otherwise I get sidetracked and start on something el se.
    Does this happen to others or is it just me? LOL
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    What a weekend we're having - stay sun save everyone from your friendly neighbourhood sun allergy sufferer

Still in bed of a bonfire and clearing for the polytunnel. Might put that down as Monday's mission as it should be a tad cooler with some cloud cover.

Really should write myself a list .... Otherwise I get sidetracked and start on something el se.
    Does this happen to others or is it just me? LOL

Too hot here for me - I'm wiped out, but got a few things done in the workshop, might venture out again towards dusk.

I'm definitely a one for lists, it helps focus the mind & prioritise - especially if the mind is a little frantic (ie steroids for me) and end up trying to start 35 jobs simultaneously.

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,555 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Can I risk putting my seedlings out?

You need to check your last frost date and don't put anything out until it's gone. It might be warm now, but if you put tender stuff out and it gets frosted, you'll end up having to sow more, so no fench beans, cucmbers, sunflowers etc.
    As said before, garden centers make a killing on selling plants twice. People will go and buy tender plant snow thinking they can plant them out, so they plant them out not checking frost dates they die so they have to go and buy more.

Tomatoes could be ok in the greenhouse, chillies might be.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2019 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Thanks Primrose and Taff.
    I didn't know about checking the last frost date. Wouldn't have occurred to me that it was even possible!
    I didn't plant anything out yet (apart from a few courgette plants a couple of weeks ago, only one of which survived) so it sounds like I've been doing the right thing by putting them out and bringing them in. Had to commandeer all of the trays from the kitchen as a lot had been potted on into individual wee pots.

Quickly realised that it wasn't ever going to get done if I had to bring them all in and out one by one!

I have a whole day today only for cooking, cleaning and gardening (once I get a last proofreading job finished) so I'm looking forward to it.

Just found that the last frost date has passed for me so that's good news. I've been hardening off things for about a week. Is that enough?
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,927 Forumite
    Options
    DH stumbled through the patio doors last night and managed to upend my seedlings. I've managed to repot twelve cucumber plants, four of which look very sorry for themselves but the melons were damaged beyond replanting.
    Spend less now, work less later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport