PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    mooomin wrote: »
    I've been doing a lot of cooking from scratch this week - fritatta tonight and we've already had home-made fish fingers (delicious but what a faff to make!) and a chicken and chorizo gratin.

This weekend I have family in town, so it's likely that we'll be out for dinner a few times. That should help my food budget :D

The gratin sounds really nice, do you have a recipe please? :D

I have just prepared parsnips and sprouts for the freezer and I still have some onions and potatoes to use that are getting a bit ropey. I might make some french onion soup, I can't decide.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was hoping to resist spending until Monday but we are down to 1 apple and 1 banana which won't last tomorrow never mind the weekend. I will pop to the shop after work to avoid making a seperate journey.

I have a short list for Mr S:

Fruit - apples, bananas, oranges, basics grapes
    Dishwasher salt
    Basics eggs
    Yogurts - going to check to see if the basics are GF
    Skimmed milk
    Basics tissues
    Basics sandwich bags
    Wholemeal wheat loaf

Let's see if I can stick to my list.

My meal planning is going OK and we have taken lunch to work everyday. We still have lots of treats in so no baking for me this weekend but I will be making rice salad and DH favourite WW soup on Sunday for work lunches next week.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    Suzexxx wrote: »
    Hi all :)

I have a bit of query re: NSD'. Do you count a NSD as not spending money that counts towards the grocery challenge or a day of no spending whatsoever? I assume it's the latter, but if not today would be a NSD for me in that i haven't spent any of my grocery money, but i've spent money on other things budgeted for elsewhere.

Food shopping tomorrow at Aldi where i expect to spend around £40 and around £20 in Morrisons on extras that i cant get from Aldi, but this should last just over a week as we go shopping every 8 days in line with my partner's shifts.

Suze :)
    For me it is a day where I don't spend anything on groceries. If I buy petrol for instance it won't count as it is not part of the grocery challenge. So in short-whatever I am counting as groceries also applies to what is a NSD.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    The gratin sounds really nice, do you have a recipe please? :D

Not to hand, but I'll try and remember to post it when I get home :D
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    re NSDs i count mine as days when i dont spend any of the money budgeted for groceries
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • angelatgraceland
    angelatgraceland Posts: 3,342 Forumite
    edited 3 January 2014 at 1:39PM
    Options
    Ithought I had done my shopping but did more last night! I popped into Mr A as I was very close(I don't live by one) to get gravy granules and coffee. They had just reduced some minced beef and minced turkey-500g packs from £5 down to 25p. I did buy some other things too-all reduced and spent about £8. Now going to update spending diary. I did sell some of my App foods to my cousin tho so reaped back £11.50 but that is to be deducted from Decembers spending. Going to cook for the pets again today as I truly do not have room to keep much of the beef-tho I will be popping it into small bags and trying. Fridge is also full of homecooked food! I must stop shopping! however-who could resist those buys! Going to pop into Mr A every thurs eve now when I see my cousin!

Edit-Looked at the mince and it is the 5% lean one! Too good for the dog! Bagged up now in 12 little bags along with the turky mince it squeezed in the freezer!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • miss_empty_piggy
    Options
    Hi All
    could I possibly join?
    Usual spend was over £400 per month but am hoping to reduce that to £350.00 for a family of 4 sometimes 5 occasionally 6. I don't include school dinners.
    Thanks x x

thought I had better make this a bit clearer!

MISS EMPTY PIGGY £350.00

Thanks
    x
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    look on the front page there are loads of fantastic recipie ideas there, i often forget about it but have had some brilliant meals made from those pages. (the quorn and leek pie someone put on is lovely -sorry cant recall the OPs name)

Oops!! I always forget about that too! Off to have a trawl, I maybe some time......
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • michelle568
    Options
    Can I join please? I'm going for £5200 ANNUAL BUDGET

This is for two adults, a pre-teen who eats the equivalent of an adult, and a ten year old who eats mouse portions.

I'm not planning on spending that much, but guessed it out at £100 a week. At the moment my freezers look quite full up, the cupboards too, and that was after a pre-christmas clear out.

I'm planning on making use of home delivery as seem to not buy so much.
    52 Week Money Challenge (Week 1) £1/1378
    2014 Frugal Living Challenge
    Grocery challenge £40.45/£5200 (Annual budget)
  • tootoo
    tootoo Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tes o and mor yesterday=£65.34.

£154.66 of my budget left.
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing