Get a grip woman!

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Options
    A rather large bill for the boiler repair has arrived. I am ignoring it until pay-day. My credit card is already just over £1100 next month with five weekly train tickets on it (£142.70 :eek: each), among other things

On the up-side I have three delay-repays to do tomorrow and I won £25 on a premium bond. I don't suppose it's a mis-print... three zeroes left off. Maybe we will buy a euromillions ticket for tomorrow haha
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Oh bottoms! I was hoping DH would get paid today but it looks like Monday. This really is the longest month ever.

I might just get fruit, stork and greek yogurt and make everything else stretch this week.

I've planted my chili seeds and they are in a giant plastic bag on the back of the range so they germinate in the warm damp conditions
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • boxofpaws
    Options
    No you are not!

Phew!
    I won £25 on a premium bond. I don't suppose it's a mis-print... three zeroes left off. Maybe we will buy a euromillions ticket for tomorrow haha

Very good. I don't really know what premium bonds are. I'm guessing it would dangerous if I did.
    Oh bottoms! I was hoping DH would get paid today but it looks like Monday. This really is the longest month ever.

I might just get fruit, stork and greek yogurt and make everything else stretch this week.

I've planted my chili seeds and they are in a giant plastic bag on the back of the range so they germinate in the warm damp conditions

The longer this month is, the shorter next month is ;)
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • WannabeFree
    Options
    Have a lovely weekend

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    boxofpaws wrote: »
    Very good. I don't really know what premium bonds are. I'm guessing it would dangerous if I did.

Premium bonds are a 1-number-for-one-pound enduring government lottery. Your bonds remain your money and you get back what you put in, but there is a monthly draw with a relatively low ratio of winners and winnings. If you buy a £100 bond you get a sequence of 100 numbers for the lottery. Basically, you are lending the government your money, interest free and they will pay you back when you want the money back

The fact that your money is safe and intact is attractive on the surface. The problem is inflation. The smallest you can buy now as an adult is £100 (but if you win £25, you can reinvest this) - I think it is lower for children. My Mum's family used to buy a £1 premium bond for my sister and I when we were children, and I have never cashed mine in so have about £24 in singles, plus a couple of bigger ones. The point re inflation is that £1 was a stretch for my Grandad, now we might spend it on a chocolate bar (ahem, not me, of course).

I'll check today to see which number won.

If you want to know more, the National Savings and Investment web-pages will tell you. I know several people who sold their houses and put their capital equity in premium bonds for a few months until they bought their next house. One or two had a regular stream of small wins but if you are looking for return on investment, it probably isn't for you.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Have a lovely weekend

x

You too WannabeFree - good to see you over here! Tough times for you but regular positive progress. I hope your health is improving and the children are thriving x
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    DEBTS
    The big news was the use of DH's Tax free lump sum from his DC pension pot that we drew down and used to pay down the mortgage - hence the slightly disproportionate reduction in debt and doubling of our efforts to pay off so far.

Were it not for the now-booked trips at Easter and again in August, I would pay another thousand off but I know I still have the December boiler repair to shell out for, as soon as my pay hits the account tomorrow. And two pairs of glasses having new lenses. - £670, just for lenses. I know it is complicated but that is ridiculous

Mortgage [STRIKE]£110,621[/STRIKE] 75,939.14 (£34,681.86 paid so far)
    Barclays 0% Finance for double glazing [STRIKE]£8,755.54[/STRIKE] £3,183.84 (£5,571.70)
    DH's car - paid off on 21st Aug 17 [STRIKE]£3,476[/STRIKE] £0 (£3,476)

Total [STRIKE]£122,852.54[/STRIKE] £79,122.98 - that is £43,729.56 or 35.6% paid off so far.

SAVINGS
    £11,075.53 Emergency pot
    £12,342.66 S&S ISA with Fidelity International (original £10,000 some years ago, no further capital added)
    £7,130.74 DH's S&S ISA (with Charles Stanley Direct]
    [STRIKE]£3,155.32 2 year Bond with Skipton BS @ 4% Finishes 31 Jan 2018 - This will be used to reduce the mortgage![/STRIKE] all finished
    £11,330.58 7 year bond with Skipton BS - matures Oct 20
    [STRIKE]£38,630.43[/STRIKE] £41,730.85 Total actual cashable savings

Shortfall -£37,392.13 (all debts)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All going in the right direction, SL, well done you. With holidays too, thats got to be good.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I dream of being where you are :A
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options