PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Moving out and hope I can afford it all

Options
Hi Everyone :)

I currently live with my Mum and Brother, however I have just put my application in to rent a property with my boyfriend. Although I am sooooo excited to finally be moving in together.. I am also really nervous that I am going to struggle and I can imagine it is going to be such a shock to the system as I only pay £120.00 a month board at the minute.

Below is a brief S.O.A that I have put together for when I move out (I have mainly guessed the household bills as I am unsure at this moment of time) (Please also note we are splitting the rent and bills exactly 50/50 and keeping finances separate, so this is what I earn and will be paying)

Any advise welcome on how I can change my SOA in anyway,

Salary (After Tax): £1718.00

Household Bills
Rent: £400.00
Council Tax: £60.00
Gas & Electric: £40.00
Water: £15.00
Content Insurance: £5.00
TV Licence: £10.00
Internet: £20.00
Groceries/Dog Food: £200.00

Other Bills
Car PCP: £285.00
Car Insurance: £90.00
Phone Contract: £45.00
Barclaycard (0%): £40.00
Ikano (0%): £55.00
Itunes: £10.00
Gym: £20.00
Monthly Fuel: £100.00

Other
Saving: £200.00
Clothing: £100.00
Fun/Entertainment: £100.00
Aiming to pay debts & save! :T

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Dog insurance would be sensible....
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2018 at 1:39PM
    Options
    Dog insurance is a sensible requirement - you could do with liability insurance - as you are responsible for any damage etc your dog does.

I would bin the iTunes payment and use free Spotify. Bin the gym membership and go for a run or a walk etc. £100 a month, every month, for clothing is a lot - try to take that down. I spend about £250 a year.

It is very good that you are regularly saving.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TamsinC wrote: »
    Dog insurance is a legal requirement - you need liability insurance.

Since when? This is not backed up by anything ive found online, or anything colleagues in the pet insurance industry have said.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Think you've got this mixed up with something else.
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    I quite agree that dog insurance is a very, very sensible thing to have (wouldn't dream of not having it for ours), but I don't think it's a legal requirement .

That said, one should be mindful that one is legally liable for the actions of one's pooch(es).

I would echo the comments re: clothing, gym, iTunes, etc. Easy to reduce outgoings there.
  • SCDH
    SCDH Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    In regards to Fun/Entertainment, you can look for cheap vouchers on Groupon or itison - they're great and you can save a lot of money! I also agree with getting rid of iTunes - you can use YouTube or Spotify instead if you don't mind the adverts. I personally couldn't give up my gym membership - going for a walk or a run outside doesn't appeal to me at all. If you are going to your gym daily then it's not money going to waste.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Car insurance seems on the high side - that might just be because of age / lack of driving experience, but check the other advice on this site for how to try cutting it. Also bear in mind that moving to a new address might affect the premium.
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    Katapolt wrote: »
    Since when? This is not backed up by anything ive found online, or anything colleagues in the pet insurance industry have said.

my bad - it was definitely talked about and I had assumed it came in - it was to do just with liability insurance in case your dog caused an accident - it obviously didn't become law - but it is still very worthwhile having. Apologies for not checking my information.
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Landline?
    Satellite/Cable TV?
    Road tax?
    Car maintenance (including MOT)?
    Pet insurance/vet bills?
    Presents (birthday, Christmas etc)?
    Haircuts?
    Holiday?
    Emergency fund?

Barclaycard (0%): £40.00
    Ikano (0%): £55.00

How much do you owe on these in total?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • loey93
    loey93 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

My mum is paying for pet insurance so she is insured, however she is technically my dog (as I walk, feed her etc etc) so she will be coming with me when I move out and I will be paying the insurance then. I think its around £6 a month.

Candyapple, please see below my responses :)
    Landline? I wouldn't use a landline, do I still need this?
    Satellite/Cable TV? Again we wouldn't use this
    Road tax? It's £30.00 a year so I just pay this yearly

Car maintenance (including MOT)? All servicing etc included in the PCP package
    Pet insurance/vet bills? Yes I've just realised I will be taking over the cost of pet insurance which is around £6 a month
    Presents (birthday, Christmas etc)? My savings will be used for any birthdays, xmas etc
    Haircuts? I rarely get my haircut maybe twice a year
    Holiday? This will come out of savings
    Emergency fund? No emergency fund at the minute but again this will come under savings

Barclaycard (0%): £40.00 - Approx £1500.00 (interest free for 35 months)
    Ikano (0%): £55.00 - Approx £1100 (interest free until the end - May 2020 (i think), it was for a sofa a couple of years ago from Harveys)

Thanks again everyone :)
    Aiming to pay debts & save! :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family