PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Barbeque ideas please!

Options

Comments

• vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you mean by music and "stuff"

I think i mean entertainment in general

we invariably get drunk (dirnking games?) and start singing (karaoke?) and dancing (mind the gravel burns) - twister is great for barbeques as are hot tubs and swimming pools (although only with adult supervision and not when drunk ;))

if its a saturday be warned that there may be some kind of football / sporting type event that people may want to watch. many is the time we've had to drag a tv into the garden and construct suitable shade so people can see the screen. perhaps your friends arent as rude and ignorant as mine though :D

do all the guests know each other already? is it worth having some icebreaker type thing where people have to get to know each other.

if we're really lucky judi might come and tell us about the last garden party type barbeque she had *evil grin*
    Blah
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    :D if you use chicken try the following failproof non-poisoning method for cooking.

You will need large pressure cooker or stock pot sized saucepans.

place your chicken pieces in the pan with some onions ( dont need to peel) some chopped up carrot and celery,a bayleaf and some whole peppercorns.

cover with cold water. ring to the boil and skim off any froth and then simmer until chicken is thoroughly cooked. cool quickly and refrigerate in the following ( cheap But really tasty marinade)

Marinade.

equal quantities of Worcester sauce, tomato ketchup (dont use puree) and some sugar.

add dry mustard powder, dry chilli flakes and some crushed garlic.

mix together and wop over the chicken . when required remove from fridge and barbeque of shove in a hot oven.

This works really well on ribs too following the same method for boiling as above. the meat will still be really juicy but fully cooked and fall off the bone.

the quality of the ketchup and worcester sauce is not important cheap and cheerfull work just as well.

enjoy
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bbq?
    wait for better weather!!!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the chicken kebabs go down well you can also add mushrooms, onion etc.

bowls of savoury rice is good - can get it in packets in supermarkets doesn't take long to cook, loads of different flavours.

as people have suggested salad/coleslaw/ and garlic bread are good - not sure if you can bbq this.

some people bbq fish.

chilli beans/ spicy beans are a good with the meat. normal baked beans add onions, peppers, then add hot pepper sauce/ chilli powder/ garlic salt/ tabasco depending on how hot you want them.

salsa- homemade or bought

spicy onions
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Start saving up any 2lt plastic juice bottles and cut them half. You can then put a tea-light in the bottom bit and put the top of the bottle with the cap off over another tea-light. This means the tea-lights don't get blown out with wind :) and you can line the path with them.
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cous cous

with chick peas

:)
    Blah
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Start saving up any 2lt plastic juice bottles and cut them half. You can then put a tea-light in the bottom bit and put the top of the bottle with the cap off over another tea-light. This means the tea-lights don't get blown out with wind :) and you can line the path with them.

thats a really good idea
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • sce37
    sce37 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Garden flares are easy and cheap ways of lighting the garden. Found these as an example http://www.candlesontheweb.co.uk/acatalog/Shop_Entrance_Garden_Candles__109.html
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are thinking about making BBQ spare ribs, boil them first until tender, drain and cool them then put them in bags with the marinade in the fridge overnight. They can then be "cooked" on the edges of the grill as they only need warming and the glaze will go sticky without burning.

One thing I always have to remember when having family BBQ's is that half of my family are muslim so I cant cook pork on the same BBQ as I cook anything else (I do have 2 thankfully) Some vegetarians also wont eat food thats been cooked alongside meat
  • forevershopping
    Options
    great ideas :D

love the cheap and easy marinade foreverskint,

also the tealight bottle covers will help,

thanks everyone i'm getting things sorted in my head now, keep the suggestions coming, can never have to many :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure